CJohn

WEEKEND THREAD | ANNABELLE 2 - $35m; DUNKIRK - $11.4m; NUT JOB 2 - $8.9m; BABY DRIVER Crosses $100m!!!

Just now, YourMother said:

I wonder if a Disney/Pixar/DW CGI animated horror movie would do well in today's market considering how big the animation and horror genre have become.

Horror and animation have had mixed success, the most successful is The Nightmare Before Christmas, everything else like Corpse Bride and Frankenweenie were flops or modest successes. Goosebumps which was a hybrid did okay but that was more of a comedy. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

Great preview number for Annabelle, wonder why the better reviews didn't lead to Ouija 2 having great box office like this?

Because Quija 2 never had a beloved horror movie like the Conjuring propping it up. The first one was a wham bam success that nobody liked and nothing more.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

Don't get the Brie Larson hype. Very bland as the female lead in Kong. Not that memorable in Trainwreck. Anybody could've played that part. Glass House looks terrible.

Probably need to watch Room.

Yeah I am the same. She plays this very breezy persona all the time. Like she is someone how above it all.

3 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

Great preview number for Annabelle, wonder why the better reviews didn't lead to Ouija 2 having great box office like this?

When it is a sequel, great review often work more in term of conserving audience than gaining new one (like for Logan vs Wonder Woman).

Annabelle 2014 had a larger audience (84m bo vs 50 and usually home video tend to be proportionnal) and that universe has a large audience also.

One other aspect for Ouija is the name (and the first movie) that is a huge hill to climb to be taken seriously, even with good reviews (i.e. was probably not a discerning audience that care for reviews that went for the first one and they didn't start to care between the 2 movie release).

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I wonder if a Disney/Pixar/DW CGI animated horror movie would do well in today's market considering how big the animation and horror genre have become.

I think there is 2 asterix to put here, the animation genre is not big in general, giant budget Pixar/Dreamwork/now new Disney post Pixar takeover genre/type of 3D animation is really big, but not one small-to mid budget animation ever broke out in the domestic market, only really giant production and marketing budget affair ever achieved it, specially outside franchises, I think none ever did 100m dbo outside that really expected aesthetic and giant colorful spectacle.

Same for horror, horror is really big and a bit of the last date night genre, but with an asterix also, it is big for their budget, they don't do 200m dbo.

It would be a risky proposition considering those 2 limitation, it would probably be an animated horror-comedy movie (a la Get Out/Split) more than an horror one if they would go big budget animation, and low budget animation is really an unpopular genre in north america.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

I think there is 2 asterix to put here, the animation is not big in general, giant budget Pixar/Dreamwork/now new Disney post Pixar takeover genre/type of 3D animation is really big, but not small-to mid budget animation ever broke out in the domestic market, only really giant production and marketing budget affair ever achieved it, specially outside franchises, I think none ever did 100m dbo outside that really expected asthetic and giant spectacle.

Same for horror, horror is really big and a bit of the last date night genre, but with an asterix also, it is big for their budget, they don't do 200m dbo.

It would be a risky proposition considering those 2 limitation, it would probably be an animated horror-comedy movie (a la Get Out/Split) more than an horror one if they would go big budget animation, and low budget animation is really an unpopular genre in north america.

Stop motion doesn't do well in the US which is sad because Laika and Aardman do produce great work. Crappy animation like Nut Job 2 deserves to flop because the audience deserves and should demand better films. 

Incidentally Smurfs: Lost Village previewed with $375,000 but that was outside summer. That did 13.2 ow/45 dom

If NUT JOB 2 does 11-12 ow / ~35 dom, and 50-70 os, then on a prod budget of 40 the movie won't loose the studio any money.

Annabelle Creation was fucking DUMB. Sandberg is such a WANnabe. He can create a nice atmosphere but cannot deliver on scares. The characters are moronic as hell too. Only a few people are staying for the post credits scene right now. I heard a lot of mixed reactions as people were leaving.

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Annabelle Creation was fucking DUMB. Sandberg is such a WANnabe. He can create a nice atmosphere but cannot deliver on scares. The characters are moronic as hell too. Only a few people are staying for the post credits scene right now. I heard a lot of mixed reactions as people were leaving.

Confirmed phenomenal movie with great WOM. What a time to be alive. Hail Sandberg.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1