WrathOfHan

Lady Bird | Wide on November 24 | Now at 99% on RT #CRUMBLING

13 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

nolan couldn't have missed his arc as bratty rich kid on Homeland.

I keep seeing his appearance on that tossed around, but I couldn't remember his role. Then it dawned on me.... "Wait, he didn't play....... OH GOD HE DID"

Fuuuuuuuck that storyline so much.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

He played the young Casey Affleck in Interstellar.

exceedingly memorable part! :D

I have a question about this movie. Why isn't Gerwig predicted for the director nom? The movie's acclaimed yet nobody predicts her but Bigelow was predicted sight unseen before her movie crashed and burned (and is still on several prediction lists as a voting option). Like, if they want a female director nominated than Gerwig is it. I don't get it. 

Edited by Valonqar

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I have a question about this movie. Why isn't Gerwig predicted for the director nom? The movie's acclaimed yet nobody predicts her but Bigelow was predicted sight unseen before her movie crashed and burned (and is still on several prediction lists as a voting option). Like, if they want a female director nominated than Gerwig is it. I don't get it. 

I think she could surprise but it's a bit early to grasp how well Lady Bird will do at the Oscars. Laurie Metcalf will at least be nominated, but Picture/Director/Actress/Original Screenplay are packed as hell.

26 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I think she could surprise but it's a bit early to grasp how well Lady Bird will do at the Oscars. Laurie Metcalf will at least be nominated, but Picture/Director/Actress/Original Screenplay are packed as hell.

I cna't fathom why pundits think Darkest Hour of all movies is a front runner. Like, seriously? Ugh. 

10 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I cna't fathom why pundits think Darkest Hour of all movies is a front runner. Like, seriously? Ugh. 

Oldman is practically locked to win and it's the middlebrow film of the year (though people like David Ehrlich are really fucking digging it, which is a good sign).

8 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Oldman is practically locked to win and it's the middlebrow film of the year (though people like David Ehrlich are really fucking digging it, which is a good sign).

Middlebrow won't win. I don't know what's gonna win bit middlebrow won't. Best Actor tops for that one. 

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

It's only Gerwig's debut as a director and more importantly her work doesn't look at all complex or flashy. Always remember with rare exceptions it's not best directing it's most directing. 

20 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I'm so happy for Ronan. She was a bit of a running joke at the time when she seemed to have lost every hot blockbuster role in town (Rey, Katniss, Cinderella, Scarlet Witch, Sue Storm, Snow White) but she bounced back with prestige movies and the rest is history. :bravo:

To me, it doesn't matter what role she takes or how popular she gets. She will always be the girl from The Lovely Bones and Hanna to me personally. And that's enough to get me to root for her.

47 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I'm so happy for Ronan. She was a bit of a running joke at the time when she seemed to have lost every hot blockbuster role in town (Rey, Katniss, Cinderella, Scarlet Witch, Sue Storm, Snow White) but she bounced back with prestige movies and the rest is history. :bravo:

:blink: Nice avoidance on that part.

I've only seen Brooklyn but I do want to see this.

On 9/13/2017 at 10:40 AM, Valonqar said:

There is not anything particularly unique or impressive with what she does. Yes, I have seen the movie. Kathryn Bigelow's directing in Detroit exhibits way more prowess. The directing branch is the most particular in the Academy. They are not going to nominate a director just because the movie has positive reception. Lady Bird is a nice movie, but nothing about it makes it stand apart from the other teenage coming-of-age stories that play at Sundance every year. I actually really like mumblecore and Greta Gerwig's work (Mistress America is one of my favorite movies from 2015) but the Lady Bird reception by some people in the press is a bit perplexing. I can surely see it as a Independent Spirit Award darling but not an Oscar one. I will say that many of you who are running around repeating that it is a Best Picture frontrunner sight unseen are going to be questioning why you bought into that when you actually see the movie. 

Edited by PenguinHyphy

2 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

There is not anything particularly unique or impressive with what she does. Yes, I have seen the movie. The Kathryn Bigelow's directing in Detroit is exhibits way more prowess. The directing branch is the most particular in the Academy. They are not going to nominate a director just because the movie has positive reception. Lady Bird is a nice movie, but nothing about it makes it stand apart from the other teenage coming-of-age stories that play at Sundance every year. I actually really like mumblecore and Greta Gerwig's work (Mistress America is one of my favorite movies from 2015) but the Lady Bird reception by some people in the press is a bit perplexing. I can surely see it as a Independent Spirit Award darling but not an Oscar one. I will say that many of you who are running around repeating that it is a Best Picture frontrunner sight unseen are going to be questioning why you bought into that when you actually see the movie. 

I see your point and while I agree that directors should be nominated for exceptional direction, mediocre or nothing special direction won and was nominated too many times. Perhaps getting great performances counts as an achievement and not just technical dazzle?

28 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

There is not anything particularly unique or impressive with what she does. Yes, I have seen the movie. The Kathryn Bigelow's directing in Detroit is exhibits way more prowess. The directing branch is the most particular in the Academy. They are not going to nominate a director just because the movie has positive reception. Lady Bird is a nice movie, but nothing about it makes it stand apart from the other teenage coming-of-age stories that play at Sundance every year. I actually really like mumblecore and Greta Gerwig's work (Mistress America is one of my favorite movies from 2015) but the Lady Bird reception by some people in the press is a bit perplexing. I can surely see it as a Independent Spirit Award darling but not an Oscar one. I will say that many of you who are running around repeating that it is a Best Picture frontrunner sight unseen are going to be questioning why you bought into that when you actually see the movie. 

I saw the trailer and was wondering why it's getting so overhyped as well. It looks nice but Edge of Seventeen  and countless other teen films did the same thing. I think a screenplay nomination and Metcalf are its ceilings for Oscar nominations.

On 9/15/2017 at 11:47 AM, Valonqar said:

I see your point and while I agree that directors should be nominated for exceptional direction, mediocre or nothing special direction won and was nominated too many times. Perhaps getting great performances counts as an achievement and not just technical dazzle?

Those directors won or received those nominations because they fit the archetype of the movies that they nominate. Lady Bird is not the type that they usually nominate for picture or director. It is not a Juno situation. If they nominate a female director they will nominate Kathryn Bigelow or Dee Rees. (Mudbound is excellent by the way.) I even see them nominating Patty Jenkins before Greta Gerwig. 

On 9/15/2017 at 0:09 PM, babz06 said:

I saw the trailer and was wondering why it's getting so overhyped as well. It looks nice but Edge of Seventeen  and countless other teen films did the same thing. I think a screenplay nomination and Metcalf are its ceilings for Oscar nominations.

I am happy that you brought up The Edge of Seventeen. Arguing that Lady Bird is a frontrunner is the equivalent of a person arguing that about Edge of Seventeen in 2016. I am not into Edge of Seventeen and believe that Lady Bird is better, less annoying and way more charming, but it is not about to make a huge splash at the Oscars like Juno. 

11 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

giphy.gif

They wrote the most annoying character possible and just made her reactions so over the top. I am not about bashing anyone for being into the movie, but it is try-hard to me. I can understand that approach if the movie was supposed to be a character study, but it is not that.                                     

Edited by PenguinHyphy