WrathOfHan

Lady Bird | Wide on November 24 | Now at 99% on RT #CRUMBLING

2 hours ago, Ithil said:

Looks like a snapshot of a Soviet version of RT, back in 1967, if the Internetz were online in those days.

The Politburo would have loved this.

Edited by The Futurist

It makes sense that such a record would be broken, because as time marches forward, more and more film review publication sites are created, and more and more film critics are verified for Rotten Tomatoes. As lucrative as the breaking of this record is, Lady Bird did have time on its side in that regard.

Nevertheless, this film is uniting critics all over the filmgoer community. People will hear of the unity, and people will see the film because of it. I am extremely happy for everyone involved in the making of what is certainly a piece of art.

Edited by slambros

40 minutes ago, slambros said:

It makes sense that such a record would be broken, because as time marches forward, more and more film review publication sites are created, and more and more film critics are verified for Rotten Tomatoes. As lucrative as the breaking of this record is, Lady Bird did have time on its side in that regard.

Nevertheless, this film is uniting critics all over the filmgoer community. People will hear of the unity, and people will see the film because of it. I am extremely happy for everyone involved in the making of what is certainly a piece of art.

I'd argue that more critics being verified actually makes it harder to have a streak such as Lady Bird is having. As  more and more reviewers get verified it increases the chances of contrarians like Armond White being added as well.

Streaks like this will always be rare since it takes just 1 reviewer giving a "rotten" review to end a streak regardless of how many total reviewers there are.

• Like 1

RT is writing a lot of articles relating to the score and commenters keep bringing up JL. This is why I dislike portions of the GA sometimes.

"Wait? But what about JL
It deserves all the good reviews
Best movie of all time
RT gets paid to give this movies good reviews but not JL"

"This movie is super overrated. It's all been done before. Definitely not fresh. Maybe for this liberal PC generation who think the hardest thing to do is be a woman."

"Maybe they should have named it Justice League: Lady Bird"

"This movie is absolute hipster garbage. Yet you choose to nitpick the justice league? This is proof that this site and it's critics are terrible."

*sigh*

Edited by somebody85
  • Haha 3

It does look really lame frankly. I can’t wait to see it because I never like to have an opinion without having seen something, but I’m just nervous it’ll be another Boyhood where I hear from critics how great it is but then I see it and... suckage. 

When I see words like “human interest drama” thrown around I know I’m going to hate it.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

It does look really lame frankly. I can’t wait to see it because I never like to have an opinion without having seen something, but I’m just nervous it’ll be another Boyhood where I hear from critics how great it is but then I see it and... suckage. 

When I see words like “human interest drama” thrown around I know I’m going to hate it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JonathanLB said:

I didn't hate Boyhood but this isn't nearly as long and is a lot less "indie" than a lot of people are probably expecting. 

It's just a story about a moment in time.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

What is this movie about? I saw Juno comparisons on another  site.

It's a coming age story set in 2002 of a girl who strives to leave her small city to seek a more cultured life where she believes she'll be understood more. She is from a lower income family and desires a more wealthy upbringing which she thinks will bring her happiness (just one of the plot points). She believes her small town is restricting her and she wants to fly away to a city with more opportunties. The film has a lot more layers than that though due to really strong characters who feel authentic.

Really saying anymore more would spoil the journey but as someone who was a junior in high school at the same time as Christine/Ladybird, the film does capture that period. The recession and war are there but they aren't necessarily focal points for most of the characters. 

• Like 1

Sorry that's about as generic as I can get in explaining the plot. It's really a story that just captures a year and tells the story of a family who lived through it (and a few other characters). She reminded me more of Nadine from Edge Of Seventeen than Juno. 

The film also has a lot more humor that would appeal to a non indie audience than many people are expecting. And it has so much heart.

• Like 2