WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 77): It 60.1M | American Assassin 14.8M | JLaw's Original Sin 7.5M

1 minute ago, somebody85 said:

I really think Jenns agents might have contacted RT (or Paramount did on their request) and asked them to change the poster they have up for mother with that audience score. It was this one until earlier this evening.

That doesn't make any sense when the her face from the poster is the freeze frame for the trailer and is several times bigger than the poster - right there on top of the page.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

But like The Neon Demon...it doesn't pretend to be anything it's not. The trailer is the same tone and style of the film. I doubt it had a high budget either because it's mostly all visuals.

First time I've actually seen this before because like a lot of other horror stuff, I just watch these films if I hear decent things about them.

They didn't try to disguise it as anything else....Paramount on the other hand, clearly did with the marketing for mother (especially that experience trailer which is louder than the actual movie).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

That doesn't make any sense when the her face from the poster is the freeze frame for the trailer and is several times bigger than the poster - right there on top of the page.

I know, I saw the same thing but they definitely changed it. Not sure why so just guessing (maybe for when it shows up on Fandango?). I haven't seen them do that before this late into a release.

Paramount is setting themselves up as the auteur studio of the big six tbh:

They let Scorsese and Aronofsky make non-mainstream films with moderately-sized budgets

Arrival was thought-provoking sci-fi film that audiences ended up loving

Downsizing is turning out to be a messy but unique sci-fi comedy from Payne

Annihilation will be an extremely unique sci-fi film

Adam McKay is making excellent political films

The great Travis Knight from Laika is directing a Transformers spinoff with Hailee Steinfeld and John Cena

What's not to like about Paramount? I'm really curious to see what direction Gianopulos decides to stick with because they have very little in terms of blockbuster franchises.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

They let Scorsese and Aronofsky make non-mainstream films with moderately-sized budgets

The great Travis Knight from Laika is directing a Transformers spinoff with Hailee Steinfeld and John Cena

What's not to like about Paramount? I'm really curious to see what direction Gianopulos decides to stick with because they have very little in terms of blockbuster franchises.

I actually like more the "auteur studio" approach that Paramount is recently employing than the recent WB's approach. If you are going to take big chances, go REAL crazy and with new IP. 

• Astonished 1

God people are going in on Flixster:

"This movie was pure torture to watch and only continues to get more painful and upsetting throughout. So much so, I have no interest in understanding why this film was made. I would prefer to never think about it again. This is the last Aronosfky film for me. There are beautiful and uplifting ways to provoke meaningful thought from an audience. This film hurt and it was a complete waste of money, talent and time."

"This was the worst piece of garbage I have ever seen, imagined or had nightmares about.If the first hour of absolutely nothing happening has you disappointed, you are foolish. Not only does that have nothing to do with the rest of the movie, but it is actually the best part of this heaping pile of poo.I can say this though, I laughed(when absurdity made me hysterical), I cried(when I knew that I could never get those 7 hours of my life back), I thanked god for the things I have in my life that are not this movie...wait, I just figured it out, this pot of stinking butt was meant to show me how good I actually have it, how I should be thankful that in 38 years I have only had to see this movie once, and for that, I dedicate whatever amount of star they force me to put."

"Terrible. We were the second group to walk out and ask for money back. Why money was spent on this crazy, disjointed movie, our group of four could not figure this out. Disappointed to have spent part of a Friday night waiting for something to happen that made sense."

"I left before the movie ended. The plot made absolutely no sense. The movie fell flat overall & the characters were dull and shallow. What a waste of $25.00 and a night out."

"Worst movie I have ever seen! My husband and I must have looked over at each other at least 10 times in the first hour in confusion. Tried to to give it a chance, I thought with all the amazing actors it had to get better, it didn't. It sunk to an all time disgusting low. I was ashamed to even be there. I don't understand how this was even made!"

"One of the worst films of all time that I have ever seen. I sat there dumbfounded at what I was seeing for 2 hours on screen. I almost walked out several times, but if I pay my money, I'm going to watch the entire thing. I felt uneasy about the film just b/c it seemed to be flying under the radar. I should've listened to my gut. Acting was terrible, no character development, no plot, erratic, lack of cohesiveness, etc. Just because a film is packed with stars doesn't mean it is great. Typical bait & switch. I could've stayed at home if I wanted to see a woman wander around the house cleaning, cooking, rearranging, sleeping, & doing laundry over and over again. What was the purpose of this film? I'm still trying to figure that out. In laymens terms - it was a hot mess! I would not recommend."

"I enjoy the forest fires in Oregon more than this movie."

Maybe that $15 was worth it after all. I just had to wait until the next night to be entertained.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

"This movie was pure torture to watch and only continues to get more painful and upsetting throughout. So much so, I have no interest in understanding why this film was made. I would prefer to never think about it again. This is the last Aronosfky film for me. There are beautiful and uplifting ways to provoke meaningful thought from an audience. This film hurt and it was a complete waste of money, talent and time."

"This was the worst piece of garbage I have ever seen, imagined or had nightmares about.If the first hour of absolutely nothing happening has you disappointed, you are foolish. Not only does that have nothing to do with the rest of the movie, but it is actually the best part of this heaping pile of poo.I can say this though, I laughed(when absurdity made me hysterical), I cried(when I knew that I could never get those 7 hours of my life back), I thanked god for the things I have in my life that are not this movie...wait, I just figured it out, this pot of stinking butt was meant to show me how good I actually have it, how I should be thankful that in 38 years I have only had to see this movie once, and for that, I dedicate whatever amount of star they force me to put."

"Terrible. We were the second group to walk out and ask for money back. Why money was spent on this crazy, disjointed movie, our group of four could not figure this out. Disappointed to have spent part of a Friday night waiting for something to happen that made sense."

"I left before the movie ended. The plot made absolutely no sense. The movie fell flat overall & the characters were dull and shallow. What a waste of $25.00 and a night out."

"Worst movie I have ever seen! My husband and I must have looked over at each other at least 10 times in the first hour in confusion. Tried to to give it a chance, I thought with all the amazing actors it had to get better, it didn't. It sunk to an all time disgusting low. I was ashamed to even be there. I don't understand how this was even made!"

"One of the worst films of all time that I have ever seen. I sat there dumbfounded at what I was seeing for 2 hours on screen. I almost walked out several times, but if I pay my money, I'm going to watch the entire thing. I felt uneasy about the film just b/c it seemed to be flying under the radar. I should've listened to my gut. Acting was terrible, no character development, no plot, erratic, lack of cohesiveness, etc. Just because a film is packed with stars doesn't mean it is great. Typical bait & switch. I could've stayed at home if I wanted to see a woman wander around the house cleaning, cooking, rearranging, sleeping, & doing laundry over and over again. What was the purpose of this film? I'm still trying to figure that out. In laymens terms - it was a hot mess! I would not recommend."

Maybe that $15 was worth it after all. I just had to wait until the next night to be entertained.

You should start a class action lawsuit. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

So this is the next movie Han will make everyone root against just from his stanning for it then.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Dude we get it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Blankments said:

Just saw Hitman's Bodyguard. More importantly, I saw a woman with two kids under the age of 12 buy tickets to the new J-Law movie.

oh, mother!

I'm assuming that woman thought that Mother was a family friendly "sweet film", and didn't bother to look at the R rating or the marketing images. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

27 minutes ago, Lestranger said:

Deadline's analysis is absurd. They are basically saying, Paramount created a product that could do nothing but fail. What were they supposed to do? Well, how about not greenlight a 30m budget for a movie like this or how about not greenlight it at all.

It is not a rational industry trying to make a profit from every move they do (a bit like university and many others), some spent more on an Oscar campaign that what getting a bunch of nomations give to a movie added business.

People do not finance Malik thinking that it will not fail commercially, Sony was pretty certain that Baby Driver would fail like all Wright project and did it to strengthen their relationship with Wright, because he would accept to direct commercial studio movie after.

A lot of stuff can get into consideration, studio street creds, capacity to attract big names in the future, building relation with big name right now.

Specially in that small budget type of projects, with enough brand power to open world wide, there is always a small possiblity that the end result would have looked a bit different (director has full final cut they cannot do anything to the product) or still connected getting in some strange positive vibe among world cinephile, but they didn't necessarily counted on it or did it for those reason.

A bit like when they gave Bay is Pain&Gain or Warner Affleck/Dicaprio Live by Night.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, straggler said:

You should start a class action lawsuit. 

Nah, the F Cinemascore and all these reviews have fully reimbursed me when it comes to entertainment. If I hadn't seen it, I could just guess at what they are all describing...but in this case, I already know that pain.

Edited by somebody85

2 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Not even going to misidentify the movie for a joke either. Han lumping in a Transformers spinoff with all the other movies is like when Harvey Weinstein said "It's not like the movie is a Citizen Kane or a Shakespeare in Love"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1