WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 77): It 60.1M | American Assassin 14.8M | JLaw's Original Sin 7.5M

4 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

Looks like Spidey O/U GOTG will be where this lands closest to in the ennd.

$333,176,600

Spidey isn't dropping out of the face of the Earth after this weekend. I can see it keeping a healthy late box office run like GotG had until the holidays. If the actuals get anywhere close to the estimates, I'd argue that Spidey is at the very least topping SM3's $336.5m unadjusted. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

She was very good, and I say this as a hater. But I don't think this movie will do her any good. It won't get some kind of reevaluation years down the line. It's going to be despised and then forgotten. 

I think this is precisely the type of film that grows in stature. But regardless she nailed one of the most challenging, intense, dark roles you will ever see. Having a fully realized career means working with directors like Aronofsky and saying the heck with it. This was a great performance that even haters have to acknowledge.

It was Paramount's decision to do a wide release for an auteur film but there were no easy choices. The one thing that I think was a mistake was the whole air of mystery. This movie works better spoiled imho, considered as an art piece or parable. It is a second viewing movie. I went in with a pretty good sense of what it was and so I was engrossed by the artistry and the nerve of it. But an unsuspecting audience won't know what hit them.    

Edited by straggler
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

Should be the last good hold for Spider-Man.  Might drop 50%+ next weekend.  After 331 million, each million after is going to be a struggle. 

It also hits WEB DL like Itunes, Amazon in 2 weeks. 

25 minutes ago, straggler said:

Maybe she envisions a career making serious, auteur films. If so good for her. 

I dunno, to me it seems like she's been in these types of roles her whole career. She always takes risks (outside of like THG & X-Men).

Passengers could have been so good if they cleaned up the second half...instead it felt so rushed. She gave an awesome performance there though too.

Edited by somebody85

1 hour ago, straggler said:

I think mother! is a brilliant film. But maybe one scene in particular should have been done more abstractly. I get that this scene goes to the "message" of the movie. But there are ways in retrospect to do it more suggestively. Not the same reaction, but easier on basic audiences.

Are you saying that GA audiences are basic bitches? :D 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

Should be the last good hold for Spider-Man.  Might drop 50%+ next weekend.  After 331 million, each million after is going to be a struggle. 

It hasn't even had it's dollar theater expansion yet though.

GOTG did another $7m after a $1.8m w/e (for a $326m total) and the next two weeks it dropped 47% & 42%

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

Spidey isn't dropping out of the face of the Earth after this weekend. I can see it keeping a healthy late box office run like GotG had until the holidays. If the actuals get anywhere close to the estimates, I'd argue that Spidey is at the very least topping SM3's $336.5m unadjusted. 

4 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It hasn't even had it's dollar theater expansion yet though.

GOTG did another $7m after a $1.8m w/e (for a $326m total) and the next two weeks it dropped 47% & 42%

Yeah but next weekend brings on 11,000+ new screens.  Spidey will prob drop 50% and be at 332 by the end of next weekend.   Everything will probably drop alot!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Matrix4You said:

Yeah but next weekend brings on 11,000+ new screens.  Spidey will prob drop 50% and be at 332 by the end of next weekend.   Everything will probably drop alot!

I don't see how Spidey could lose that much screens next weekend. What is even coming up to take out that much amount of screens? Hell, I could see it keeping over 1k screens next weekend right now. 

Yikes. mother! might not even make as much as 17M DOM. And I'm not the kind of person that takes CinemaScore seriously, but an F?!?! Wow.

Decent numbers for AA. Could get to around 40-45M DOM.

It is definitely going for around 60M+. And Spider-Man's drop is absolutely insane.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, somebody85 said:

Wish Upon scored a C, Rings scored a C- and Bye Bye Man scored a C.....lololol I bet this will be pulled from a lot of theaters by next week.

Literally your own words said that mother! isn't a horror movie, so why are you comparing it to other horror movies?

• Like 1