Alli

Weekend thread | IT Floats again in its 4th weekend: 17.3M...Cruise and Kingsman fight it out for 2nd: 17.016 and 17.0

2 hours ago, La Binoche said:

Hopefully this horror explosion leads to studios taking some chances on filmmakers so that we can some genuinely frightening horror movies soon, not episodes of Stranger Things padded out to 2 hours. 

Your butt hurt sustains me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Victoria & Abdul is doing pretty well in limited release. Could reach about $10M total if it expands well. Stronger is most likely gonna miss $5M total but I doubt it'll hurt Gyllenhaal's nomination chances.

Box office rarely matters these days when it comes to awards anyway. I think Gyllenhaal might get lost in the shuffle though, despite being very good, it's a very packed year for best actor.

Edited by Fancyarcher

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

Box office rarely matters these days when it comes to awards anyway. I think Gyllenhaal might get lost in the shuffle though, despite being very good, it's a very packed year. 

Have you been following the Best Actor race this year? :lol: It's pretty dead, with the award looking to be Oldman's to lose. Best Actress, on the other hand...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, La Binoche said:

Carla Gugino is very good in it, though. And she's very beautiful. Weird that she never really happened. 

She apparently turned down a few potential "break out roles", in favor of working with friends, and she did a lot of films where she had odd "small roles", for a while. Even though I like her, I can't say I'm necessarily surprised. 

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I think Stone could still get an afterglow Oscar nom for sexes.

She's great in the movie but the movie itself is really slight and its studio has two higher priorities in the same category (Frances McDormand and Sally Hawkins). A Golden Globe nomination is where I think her recognition for the film will begin and end.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Have you been following the Best Actor race this year? :lol: It's pretty dead, with the award looking to be Oldman's to lose. Best Actress, on the other hand...

Yeah, Oldman's likely winning it too. I'd like Gyllenhaal to get nominated, especially since films like Last Flag Flying have arrived with a "thud". Who knows he may have a chance. 

10 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I think Stone could still get an afterglow Oscar nom for sexes.

Best actress is easily the most competitive this year. So many potential nominees. Fox Searchlight already has other actresses they'd wanna push before Stone, though she could get a "surprise nom".

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 2

Just now, filmlover said:

I imagine Focus will try and get Judi Dench for Best Actress

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Emoji Movie had free tickets with Happy Meals.

Yup, it did...any wonder why it did better than a lot of other animated movies like Leap and Nut Job Never in the same month?:)  It's not like audiences loved Emoji more...

Plus, anything from early August predates the marketing push of Moviepass...the next 12 months should be even more interesting...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

She's great in the movie but the movie itself is really slight and its studio has two higher priorities in the same category (Frances McDormand and Sally Hawkins). A Golden Globe nomination is where I think her recognition for the film will begin and end.

The film does look really slight to me. I'm leaning towards her not getting a nom for now for that reason. And you're right, there's a lot of comp. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6

37 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

No matter how much effort they put in, you can't change the going rate of $50+ for 4 tickets without a deal.  And most families will not pay that number anymore - the 2 "big" animated movies of the year, DM3 and Lego Bats, both had huge BOGO deals run for weeks...in addition to DM3 having free ticket deals on DVDs, on food packages, etc, etc...

Moviepass is there to help the "non blockbuster" adult films providing them with a more reasonable price...but it will also "reprice" the value of non-blockbuster animated (and really, more specifically child-focused movies whether animated or live action), as much as those movies...and that's not to animated's benefit...

And maybe it won't be this year or next for the full effect to happen...it took Netflix 14 years (from 1997 to 2011) to fully put BB out of business, although BB's struggle started in the early 2000s once Netflix had shaken out the bugs and gotten press and gotten popular...

I don't disagree with discounting for families.  Makes sense to me. Maybe 1- 2 adult + x kids deals?

As far as Moviepass though...it's a joke of a business and won't change anything.  It's a "free money" deal basically with no long term viability.   They have no integration at all - I can literally pay $9.95 per month to buy a $14.50 movie ticket that I can sell on the spot for $10 easy.  Any deal where you immediately get back cash value higher than you put in will do well - I can sell $10 bills for $1 all day long and I bet there will be a lot of demand.  Why not grocery pass, gas pass, etc?

I'm enjoying the free money moviepass while it lasts...but these guys are giving you cash to watch a product they have nothing to do with in a place they have nothing to do with.  Netflix had a deal to stream the product and housed it on their site.  No comparability to a third party that is literally just handing out money.

The main 7 actresses in the running for a nomination are Hawkins, McDormand, Streep, Winslet, Ronan, Chastain, and Robbie. There's an outside chance for Stone, Lawrence, and Dench, but the field is too crowded for them to go anywhere outside of the Globes. 

Just now, Jonwo said:

I imagine Focus will try and get Judi Dench for Best Actress

My current predicted line-up for that category is Hawkins/McDormand/Robbie/Streep/Winslet (though the last one will likely be dropped if Wonder Wheel turns out to be a dud, which we'll know when it screens at NYFF two weeks from today).

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

My current predicted line-up for that category is Hawkins/McDormand/Robbie/Streep/Winslet (though the last one will likely be dropped if Wonder Wheel turns out to be a dud, which we'll know when it screens at NYFF two weeks from today).

I wonder if Kristin Scott Thomas will be eligible for Best Actress or will they submit her for supporting? 

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I wonder if Kristin Scott Thomas will be eligible for Best Actress or will they submit her for supporting? 

She's supporting. A coattail nomination is possible, but everyone says her screentime is really limited; she's far from my predictions right now.

Edited by WrathOfHan

The problem I have with predicting supporting coattails for Darkest Hour is that it's the Gary Oldman show. Everyone falls into his shadow, and that was really evident by initial reactions. People aren't really singling out non-Oldman performances in the film. Mendelsohn and KST aren't impossible, but I don't see them happening.

Edited by WrathOfHan

2 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

I don't disagree with discounting for families.  Makes sense to me. Maybe 1- 2 adult + x kids deals?

As far as Moviepass though...it's a joke of a business and won't change anything.  It's a "free money" deal basically with no long term viability.   They have no integration at all - I can literally pay $9.95 per month to buy a $14.50 movie ticket that I can sell on the spot for $10 easy.  Any deal where you immediately get back cash value higher than you put in will do well - I can sell $10 bills for $1 all day long and I bet there will be a lot of demand.  Why not grocery pass, gas pass, etc?

I'm enjoying the free money moviepass while it lasts...but these guys are giving you cash to watch a product they have nothing to do with in a place they have nothing to do with.  Netflix had a deal to stream the product and housed it on their site.  No comparability to a third party that is literally just handing out money.

But what Moviepass does is change the "value" of movies to folks.  It doesn't matter if it goes under in 12 months - it's caused people to revalue how much they'll pay for tickets.  Once folks get a year of movies at $10/month, are they gonna go back to paying $11 ever for just one movie?  You've now maxed out the 2d movie ticket to all these folks who both have it and know about it to $10.

At the time, in 1997, no one knew if Netflix would take off, but it changed the game...only 5 years later, in 2002, Redbox also came along b/c they saw the reprice strategy and charged $1/video for what Blockbuster was charging $5 for...attacks at the previous $5/price came at all sides (by both monthly fee and per video fee), and consumers bailed for the much cheaper alternatives...

So whether Moviepass stays or goes, its concept will continue to be tested, probably in multiple ways...and that concept is repricing the value of the seats...right now, it's gonna be hard to break the price mindset that got so public at the end of August...

12 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Yup, it did...any wonder why it did better than a lot of other animated movies like Leap and Nut Job Never in the same month?:)  It's not like audiences loved Emoji more...

Plus, anything from early August predates the marketing push of Moviepass...the next 12 months should be even more interesting...

Emoji was much more of a want to see than Nut Job 2 and Leap. It was also the last major animated movie of the summer. Both of the latter two had little marketing. It was to families the better choice of the three. The Happy Meal thing had nothing to do with it.

• Like 1

Best Actress is unreal, but I'd probably go McDormand/Streep/Robbie/Winslet/Hawkins right now, with Hawkins winning if Shape of Water wins BP and McDormand/Winslet if not. I'm not ruling Stone or Chastain out either. I already feel very confident Oldman, Janney, and one of either Dafoe or Rockwell are winning the other categories, probably Dafoe.

• Like 2

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

Best Actress is unreal, but I'd probably go McDormand/Streep/Robbie/Winslet/Hawkins right now, with Hawkins winning if Shape of Water wins BP and McDormand/Winslet if not. I'm not ruling Stone or Chastain out either. I already feel very confident Oldman, Janney, and one of either Dafoe or Rockwell are winning the other categories, probably Dafoe.

I'm going with Rockwell over Dafoe right now just because Three Billboards has a legit shot at winning BP while I don't think Florida Project will go anywhere outside of Dafoe.

• Like 1