Alli

Weekend thread | IT Floats again in its 4th weekend: 17.3M...Cruise and Kingsman fight it out for 2nd: 17.016 and 17.0

14 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Battle of the Sexes is doing just fine for an indie with a mainstream cast that is well-reviewed but doesn't have much in the way of Oscar buzz (I saw the movie yesterday and while Stone and Carell are great in it, I'll be surprised if either goes anywhere beyond the Golden Globes). Let's see if it has legs, lucky for the film that it's a crowdpleaser.

The disappointing box office will prevent Stone from an Oscar nomination IMO. Searchlight already has to campaign for McDormand and Hawkins in the category, and they have a chance at winning.

15 minutes ago, a2knet said:
AMERICAN MADE (2017) CS_B+.png
FLATLINERS (2017) CS_B-.png

That B- looks gold considering Mother! got an F.

Also looking at audience scores on RT, Flatliners is 44% and Mother! is 46%.

Critics scores are vastly different - 0% for Flatliners and 67% fresh for Mother!.

Teens have lower standards :lol: 

• Like 2

I saw Gerald's Game on Netflix...not bad but would not have worked on the big screen.  And given that it's a 20-year passion project for the director you'd think he would not have cut out the thing that sets he story into motion.  I hate to sound like a SJW but sometimes it's true, men shouldn't tell women's stories. 

19 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

I saw Gerald's Game on Netflix...not bad but would not have worked on the big screen.  And given that it's a 20-year passion project for the director you'd think he would not have cut out the thing that sets he story into motion.  I hate to sound like a SJW but sometimes it's true, men shouldn't tell women's stories. 

I agree, it was fine. Not a patch on Dolores Claiborne, book or film.

6 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Awful. Dead franchise

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, this is missing $100M now.

I think it could be a Sausage Party like 97m+ grosser if the studio doesn't care about 100m milestone.

The 104m budget is not high though and is looking at 200m+ OS (possibly 250m) so 300-350m ww on that budget will make it a very successful film. 

If China over-performs or something we could get a third I guess.

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Flatliners grossed an estimated $2.15M on Friday.

After A:C and IT it's been Mother! (budget 30m), Friend Request (budget 10m) and Flatliners (budget 19m). Horror is not 'easy' I guess.

2 out of 3 looked like garbage and got garbage reception and mother! was too obscure to work in the first place (sorry Han).

Split, Get Out, A:C, and especially IT did gangbusters this year.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Flatliners grossed an estimated $2.15M on Friday.

After A:C and IT it's been Mother! (budget 30m), Friend Request (budget 10m) and Flatliners (budget 19m). Horror is not 'easy' I guess.

mother! was a weird Aronofsky movie, Friend Request was languishing on the shelf for years, and Flatliners was a completely unnecessary revival of a movie that nobody had any fondness for. No surprises that they were rejected.

• Like 2