grim22

MIB International | June 14 2019 | F Gary Gray directing | Hemsworth, Ferguson, Neeson, Thompson and Thompson

34 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Glad that they aren't making this a remake. There is no reason for this film not to be set in the same universe as the Smith/Lee Jones films. Ghostbusters made the mistake of not just being a spin-off and and paid the price.

While Jumanji was a clean remake (with some small throwaway to not use the word) and made 900m.

The memory flash device can make it possible, because the price to not have your protagonist being a bit of a fish out of the water and discovering the men in black existence and so on is a big one (i.e. making in fact a remake even if it is set in the same world and having even Jones in the film).

Same for a Ghostbuster in which you do not start with a bunch of people not too good at this and building the formula on how to do it (and having the world not use to the ghost either), would also be a big cost to pay on the movie.

That could be the way to good, Jurassic World, Jumanji, make a remake does not call it so, put 2/3 some fan reference throwaway in there, that give you some free non-Internet going at it. Just like not naming your multipart movie part 1, 2, 3, etc.. in the title when you do them.

Edited by Barnack

1 hour ago, babz06 said:

i also think no Smith at all is a mistake. 

Depend of the price points.

My guess would be that Sony did a bit like they did for Inferno after Angels&Demon loss them money.

Angel&Demon had a 160m marketing budget and a net production cost + participation bonus at break even point above 255m, for Inferno it went down to 75-80m.

Men in Black 3 had a crazy net production budget + participation bonus at break even point of 339m, with Tom Rothman in charge I would not be surprised if he went for 0 first dollar gross and a net budget of 120m for an almost 65% cheaper project . Not really compatible with what Smith would be asking (if it look like anything he wanted for Independence day)

The MIB idea is so fun that I could see it surviving without Smith and Tommy Lee Jones. ID42 never had a ghost of a chance without him though. He and too a lesser extent Goldblum are the only things that made the first film interesting so of course it bombed without him. Not saying MIB sequelboot won't bomb, I'm saying that it has a better chance than ID4 2 EVER did. 

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

The MIB idea is so fun that I could see it surviving without Smith and Tommy Lee Jones.

And easy to see it fail like it did with RIPD and I imagine the long list of movies that try to copy it success (apparently the make it like the Men in Black/but who are the men in black in that story was a common studio note for a while)

5 minutes ago, Barnack said:

And easy to see it fail like it did with RIPD and I imagine the long list of movies that try to copy it success (apparently the make it like the Men in Black/but who are the men in black in that story was a common studio note for a while)

Already said that it could fail in my post. Really will depend on if the marketing hits people right and the film is good.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

3 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Already said that it could fail in my post. Really will depend on if the marketing hits people right and the film is good.

I think it will do decently well. Not a huge breakout, but good enough. Main thing Sony would want is good reception so they can make more.

• Like 1

Somewhere around $140-$160M sounds about right for the movie, which I think Sony would be satisfied with, as even with the aliens and other VFX work, this will probably cost around Jumanji in the $100-130M range, which will be fine if OS matches or surpasses it. It should also benefit from being the only major tentpole next June that isn't an animated release. (Yeah, I know there's Cowboy Ninja Viking, but...come on)