aabattery

Weekend Thread | Actuals ~ BR2049 32.753M :((, TMBU 10.551M, It 9.972M, MLP:TM 8.885M, K:TGC 8.675M, AM 8.446M, TLNM 7.002 M, V&A 4.171M | All those posts will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die

• Founder / Operator
3 minutes ago, AJG said:

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

That weekend is gonna be deadly. Suburbicon is likely gonna post soft numbers due to its lousy reviews, Thank You for Your Service feels destined to tank, and who the hell asked for a Saw revival (when it's not even been a decade since the franchise bowed out in uneventful fashion)?

Definitely another typical pre-holiday kind of weekend slate. My original meaning though was that if the Netflix gen didn't show up this weekend, theaters are going to be very quiet when Stranger Things S2 releases on the 27th.

• Founder / Operator
Just now, Water Bottle said:

It beat Blade Runner on our forum background poll.

In retrospect that should have showed BR2 didn't have hype to open big.

I think you just unearthed the holy grail of tracking metrics.

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

2.) Blade Runner 2049 wasn't an action movie and it was never really marketed as one.  Modern audiences today are conditioned to expect action in big budget movies when they go to the theater.  Its a long, slow paced, moody, dark, heady, and contemplative science fiction movie.  That is antithesis of a modern blockbuster.

Yes, the film most certainly was marketed as an action film. The scenes and accompanying music in this trailer give the appearance the film is an action film when in reality it is much more similar to Arrival than to Aliens.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I'm not ready to discount Thank You yet, but I do worry that the subject matter isn't going to be very appealing like Detroit.

I don't see how it does well. Miles Teller isn't a draw at all and war-centric films always founder at the box office unless they have big stars or are Oscar players (which this is unlikely to be).

Only the Brave and Thank You for Your Service represent two sides of patriotism by the color of Miles Teller's hair. In Only the Brave, he's blonde, and that film shows off the courage and bravery of firefighters who defend forests and towns. On the darker side, his hair is natural in Thank You, which shows the trauma and adjustment returning soldiers have to deal with. The real question is whether he can shrug off the douchiness in these two movies or not.

200.gif

1 minute ago, Shawn said:

Definitely a calm-before-the-storm kind of weekend slate. My original meaning though was that if the Netflix gen didn't show up this weekend, theaters are going to be very quiet when Stranger Things S2 releases on the 27th.

Thor 3 was meant to release on that date in the UK. 

They moved it to now come out 4 days earlier.

• Like 1

• Community Manager
3 minutes ago, Shawn said:

I think you just unearthed the holy grail of tracking metrics.

I think we are avoiding pitting Thor 2 with JL in the November poll so alas can't use it to track who will win. :lol:

• Haha 1

With The Snowman having the kiss of death with its review embargo, the rest of the month looks REALLY weak. I'll definitely see HDD and Suburbicon despite the negative reviews because of the people involved, but I really don't know if I have the interest for anything else. 

I'll probably end up seeing like 4-5 more movies though :ph34r: 

18 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Is this even going to make 200M WW? OS is only looking to make around 50M this weekend, and the only countries left are SK, Japan, and China (where audiences are going to reject it hard) according to IMDb.

If it does 80m first weekend, should it not easily go pass 200m WW ? Specially with Japan (that should be good market for it) still to open, 2.5x no China global opening weekend is really not good legs.

Even BvS did 2.07x is global opening weekend that had China in it  (that dropped hard), Fast 8 made 2.33x

It should not get close to Fury Road 3.46x global opening multiplier, but should reach 2.5+ right (specially with those 3 significant big market yet to open, Arrival made 25% of is intl performance in them after all) ?

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

With The Snowman having the kiss of death with its review embargo, the rest of the month looks REALLY weak. I'll definitely see HDD and Suburbicon despite the negative reviews because of the people involved, but I really don't know if I have the interest for anything else. 

I'll probably end up seeing like 4-5 more movies though :ph34r: 

i think we'll get reviews from OS like it happened with AM