aabattery

Weekend Thread | Actuals ~ BR2049 32.753M :((, TMBU 10.551M, It 9.972M, MLP:TM 8.885M, K:TGC 8.675M, AM 8.446M, TLNM 7.002 M, V&A 4.171M | All those posts will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die

scream a masterpiece i think. kinda diluted by how common the post modern shtick is now. 2 is sort of the annoying version of that. 3 goes full scooby doo so it's kinda fun but not clever or genuinely creepy like the first. 4 is like those comeback sequels that are just kinda depressing. like sometimes a reunion tour rules and sometimes it's just kind of a sad reminder of how time will whither all of us away.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Especially Blade Runner 2049. I mean... seriously chill out, people.

I really liked the film. But yet again we have to repeat what it was. A sequel to a 35 year-old box-office flop. One that didn't catch on like say It's a Wonderful Life, The Princess Bride (Imagine that getting a sequel!) orThe Shawshank Redemption. One that only resonated with genre fans, film nerds and filmmakers who were influenced by its production design. That's it. That a production company would shell out $200M+ speaks to how desperate this industry is and how perverted the notion of IP recognition is. If anything good comes out of this failure, it's that.

But to harp on this being the death of original sci-fi is not only ill-informed (since it is a sequel and thus not original, in the first place) but strikes as tidy-baby crying not seen since Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

I agree with almost all of this but I still say that average moviegoing joe is the reason why we can't have nice things like this more often, more specifically younger people.  I'm gonna see this 1-2 more times but on Thursday night when I saw this I think only myself and the group I went with were the only ones in the theater that looked under 35 years old.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ddddeeee said:

I haven't seen the film yet but I've listened to the score and thought it superficially sounded like Blade Runner but without any of the soul.

The score is the weakest portion of the film for sure.  The best moments of the film are the ones where the score isn't really blaring and is much more quiet.  Wasn't weak enough to make me love the film less though.

• Like 2

Also not getting Villeneuve immediately being throne into Nolan territory.

Nolan built up his reputation with films that balanced out being critical darlings with crowd-pleasing commercial hits (a hard thing to do). Villeneuve hasn't. He's doing his own thing, which is perfectly fine. 

not getting spoilerly but i actually think the acting ensemble in 2049 was my favourite i've seen in a movie this year. everyone fits the tone perfectly and a bunch of great character actors showing up for just one or two scenes and killing it. everyone kinda makes an impact in their own way. great work there. 

• Like 3

Just now, efialtes76 said:

Sully and Neytiri.

every time someone says "lol noone can remember the names of the avatar characters" i always gotta hit back with "I REMEMBER TRUDY" because i've spent 8 years thinking about how weird it is that james cameron named his supposed to be badass michelle rodriguez character trudy.

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

every time someone says "lol noone can remember the names of the avatar characters" i always gotta hit back with "I REMEMBER TRUDY" because i've spent 8 years thinking about how weird it is that james cameron named his supposed to be badass michelle rodriguez character trudy.

the worst name in the movie is unobtanium.

• Thanks 2

SCRE4M was very unnecessary. This shit here this weekend is a huge wtf. But like I've said all day today, maybe a few batch of break-outs could happen after this weekend, HDD does $25-$35 million ow and makes $75-$85 million stateside. The Foreigner probably won't do much, might do Escape Plan numbers at best. 

The next weekend looks to be Madea & Only The Brave to bring in cash. Then the last weekend of October is dead. Anyway attendance will drop off. But Thor, Justice League, and Coco could actually save the box office next month. Other than that 2017 will be the weakest box office in three years as Winter was ok, Spring was amazing, Summer was awful, and the fall has been so far ok but IT has pretty much been the main story of the season so far!

Holiday season always looks strong: Thor does $90-$100 million ow and makes $255 million domestic, Bad Moms does $19-$21 million ow and does $85 million domestic. Murder On Orient Express does $30-$35 million ow and makes $105 million domestic, Daddy's Home 2 also does $30-$35 million ow and makes $90 million domestic. Justice League does $150 million ow, and makes $385 million domestic, The Star does $8-$10 million ow, and makes $30 million domestic. Coco does $50-$55 million ow, and makes $205 million domestic. November will be the biggest November in 4-5 years mark my words.

first two weekends of December are dead, Star Wars will do $215 million ow, and make $725 million domestic. Ferdinand does $13-$15 million ow, and does $65-$75 million domestic. Pitch Perfect 3 does $30-$35 million ow, and does $115 million domestic, Jumanji does $16-$20 million ow, and does between $90-$95 million domestic, and Downsizing does $11-$13 million ow and does $55-$60 million domestic. Greatest Showman will more likely be a more sucessful film later on than its opening day, but should do $14-$17 million ow, and if a crowd-pleaser makes $100-$105 million domestic. December should be pretty decent. So at least 2017 should end on a hopeful note.

25 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Especially Blade Runner 2049. I mean... seriously chill out, people.

I really liked the film. But yet again we have to repeat what it was. A sequel to a 35 year-old box-office flop. One that didn't catch on like say It's a Wonderful Life, The Princess Bride (Imagine that getting a sequel!) orThe Shawshank Redemption. One that only resonated with genre fans, film nerds and filmmakers who were influenced by its production design. That's it. That a production company would shell out $200M+ speaks to how desperate this industry is and how perverted the notion of IP recognition is. If anything good comes out of this failure, it's that.

But to harp on this being the death of original sci-fi is not only ill-informed (since it is a sequel and thus not original, in the first place) but strikes as tidy-baby crying not seen since Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

Thank you!

20 minutes ago, Lestranger said:

Just got back from it. I was super hyped for this. Loved the original even though I see its flaws. This is an absolute bore, one of the most boring movies I have ever seen. I was fighting my eyelids the whole time, and I got 8 hours of sleep last night. Showtime was Noon. I loved Prisoners and Sicario, enjoyed Arrival. I have no idea what happened here. On paper, it looked great. I have no idea what movie the critics saw. Word of mouth among GA is going to be toxic. It is a 3 hour screensaver. It is a trainwreck with zero survivors. The visuals are amazing. The soundtrack is great but often awkward. The writing, editing, directing are truly epic fails. The actors are fine but you could tell Denis said "Make it more wooden this time". I can see a sub 2.5x on this easy. Sad sad day.

No clue what movie you saw...

“wooden acting” the...?

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

No, because movies aren't made with max efficiency and 20/20 hindsight. 

I assumed one would know whether they are making a 2 hour or a 3 hour film through story-boarding. If Alcon's future is dependent on one film, then felt they would try to be over-methodical.

24 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

I haven't seen the film yet but I've listened to the score and thought it superficially sounded like Blade Runner but without any of the soul.

No lies detected here.

The most emotional musical bit is

A Vangelis piece fom the first movie.

:sadben:

Edited by The Futurist