aabattery

Weekend Thread | Actuals ~ BR2049 32.753M :((, TMBU 10.551M, It 9.972M, MLP:TM 8.885M, K:TGC 8.675M, AM 8.446M, TLNM 7.002 M, V&A 4.171M | All those posts will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die

Under Covenant?  Well Damn.   It grossed 33 Million total in 82 and that's what it's going to make OW.  Talking about coming full circle.   I guess in 2050 Will be calling it a "Slept On" Classic right?.  

Edited by filmscholar

15 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

Under Covenant?  Well Damn.   It grossed 33 Million total in 82 and that's what it's going to make OW.  Talking about coming full circle.   I guess in 2050 Will be calling it a "Slept On" Classic right?.  

We don't have to wait until 2050, I already proclaimed it a Slept On Classic 42 minutes ago ;)

As for BR's numbers this weekend I should stop doubting the Fandango Pulse Meter.  I did it with IT when I saw it was selling around SMHC levels but still bought into the prevailing predictions. 

Thur night at 7pm, BR was averaging half of Dunkirk and 82% of Kingsman - or $25-$32m

4 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

To be fair... Alien: Covenant was cheaper to produce than Prometheus and turned a profit (despite a lower gross).

I can't not see another film happening. Just not with Scott in charge or continuing David's story nor do I see them digging up Blomkamp's Aliens sequel.

( 97 prod budget )

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $74,262,031    31.0%
Foreign:  $165,544,038    69.0%

= Worldwide:  $239,806,069  

I can see another film, but looking at the global drop from Prometheus ( 130 budget ) and considering that further reduction in budget might not be possible, can't see a continuation of the same saga.

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $126,477,084    31.4%
Foreign:  $276,877,385    68.6%

= Worldwide:  $403,354,469  

Edited by a2knet

3 hours ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

I feel like this is an eternal, never-ending cycle on BOT. People get hyped up for non-franchise movies and convince themselves of wild BO glory... then are gutted when it doesn't happen. 

I felt that ARRIVAL numbers were probably a good result for BR2049 and it looks like that's where it'll end up (maybe somewhat under).

It's fine to get excited about a movie based on quality (or perceived quality, before release), but that just doesn't guarantee good BO runs. In fact, for something like BR, it means probably just the opposite. 

It'd be a very good result if the budget wasn't at least 3x as big.

This movie wasn't completely on my radar so I didn't know the budget until the last few weeks but assumed it was closer to Arrival than Mad Max 4.  I was also surprised when tracking numbers started appearing at $40m+ and then $50m+ by the trades and B.O. sites.

I don't think it's 20-20 hindsight thinking they made a big mistake overestimating the demand and audience for this film.  I think it was an extreme lack of foresight in the never ending chase of IP that could hopefully spawn sequels.  It's just the artier side of a studio spending $200m on a movie based on You Sunk My Battleship.

Edited by TalismanRing

You know it's Box Office Theory when a member literally calls other people neanderthals and the mods literally don't do anything to address the frequent toxicity the forum has on a lot of different sides and from a lot of different people.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

You know it's Box Office Theory when a member literally calls other people neanderthals and the mods literally don't do anything to address the frequent toxicity the forum has on a lot of different sides and from a lot of different people.

Could you report the post, please?

• Like 1