Alli

WEEKEND Box Office: BOO-21.6M; Geostorm-13.3M; OTB-6M; Snowman-3.4M

3 minutes ago, babz06 said:

Is there anything else that we’re missing which may be expanding? Darkest Hour and Call Me By Your Name are gonna be in select theaters but not semi-wide/wide until December. 

I think we've covered everything. I said a couple weeks ago that Focus could put Darkest Hour wide right away, but December 8 looks to be the wide date for that.

5 minutes ago, babz06 said:

Is there anything else that we’re missing which may be expanding? Darkest Hour and Call Me By Your Name are gonna be in select theaters but not semi-wide/wide until December. 

That's pretty much it.

By the way @WrathOfHan BOM has just updated their charts and Roman J. Israel, Esq. is now opening in limited release November 17. Pretty obvious it's going wide Thanksgiving now.

Just now, filmlover said:

That's pretty much it.

By the way @WrathOfHan BOM has just updated their charts and Roman J. Israel, Esq. is now opening in limited release November 17. Pretty obvious it's going wide Thanksgiving now.

That's weird; Sony said the other day it'd be limited on the 10th and wide the 17th compared to the 3rd and 10th respectively. 

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

That's weird; Sony said the other day it'd be limited on the 10th and wide the 17th compared to the 3rd and 10th respectively. 

They probably figured it stood a better chance at success on Thanksgiving weekend where the only other wide release is Coco (Polaroid lol).

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

They probably figured it stood a better chance at success on Thanksgiving weekend where the only other wide release is Coco (Polaroid lol).

For a moment, I thought Shape of Water was going wide on Thanksgiving for some reason..

42 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Roman Israel is going wide on the 17th and Lady Bird on the 22, but who knows how wide they go (hopefully 2,000). I don't think LFF is getting into much more than 600-700 theaters with the mixed reviews

If mixed reviews continue Lionsgate might just want to get all the money they can out of it. I mean it does have a cast full of big names and the subject matter about vets. I think it’s getting atleast 1000 theaters. Roman Isreal will probably get 2,000 theaters; Lady Bird probably 700-800 theaters.

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

looooooool Jigsaw isn't having critics screenings :rofl: 

Jigsaw already screened for LA and NY critics, so I’m not sure where you are getting this info.

I’m not expecting the embargo to lift till Thursday though

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Jigsaw already screened for LA and NY critics, so I’m not sure where you are getting this info.

I’m not expecting the embargo to lift till Thursday though

Oh, Double Toasted said Lionsgate wasn't holding any screenings in the Austin area. Hmm.

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Oh, Double Toasted said Lionsgate wasn't holding any screenings in the Austin area. Hmm.

And that Disney aren’t giving out guest passes for Thor. Only Korey and Martin are going.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AJG said:

And that Disney aren’t giving out guest passes for Thor. Only Korey and Martin are going.

They're bound to do the same stuff with Star Wars.

1 minute ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Good

Of course you think Jigsaw looks good :winomg: 

Spoiler

it looks fun but not in a good way

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

They're bound to do the same stuff with Star Wars.

Of course you think Jigsaw looks good :winomg: 

Reveal hidden contents

I said it looks kinda good. Or at least more unique  then a lot of the other recent horror trailers I've seen. Not like I'm like actually interested in it or anything but I don't mind seeing the trailer in front of stuff

2 hours ago, Cookson said:

IT was also not produced by WB though.

Well yes, New Line has been in WB bottom line for a while now:

Production Companies

https://www.warnerbros.com/studio/divisions/new-line-cinema

New Line became a unit of Warner Bros. Entertainment in March 2008. 

There is no different section for New Lines vs Warner Brothers in Time Warners annual report:

http://www.timewarner.com/sites/timewarner.com/files/related-articles/TWX_2015_Annual_Report.pdf

Feature Films Warner Bros. is a leader in the feature film business and produces feature films under its Warner Bros. and New Line Cinema banners.

Would be a bit like saying Disney didn't produce Force Awaken or Thor 3, Fox didn't do Fox Searchlight production, Universal didn't do Focus production and so on, kind of right in some case I imagine but it could be hard to know how independent those banner really are of the parent company in greenlight power and operation's, when it is not clear like Pixar or Miramax in the Disney era.

Edited by Barnack
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

So Disney has a shot at the studio crown the next two years for a record breaking 3 times in a row, now suddenly, studio crowns don't matter any more.

I guess everyone forgot how fun it was to watch Universal upset Disney in 2015 when both had their biggest hits (The Force Awakens/Age of Ultron/Inside Out vs Jurassic World/Minions/Furious 7)

Watching studio de-facto wars for revenue is fun.

Other way around imo (not that it ever really mattered, but less and less it do), it is when Disney that does not win it that it does not mean they really did not, Disney distribute less and less movie they did not produce themselve and finance more alone what they do, if an other studio edge them by a bit, that do not make that other studio the winner over Disney (without even taking into account the slate side and the expense here).

The "who produced it" technicality is a joy kill. There are always various investors but if a studio can attach themselves to more megahits than any other it's still an accomplishment that should be acknowledged.

It is, until recently (say for as recently than the 2013 slate) it was more common for a studio to finance larger title alone and now the conversation cannot ever be: Oh the studio loss X million on that title looking at is box office and cost, just need to change the conversation at: Oh the movie loss X millions to 9 different people (intl buyer, co-financier, co-producers, the studio, etc...) and a less clear narrative is a bit more boring, a bit like car makers all co-operating sharing factory or even co-making some model or samsung making lot of money on every IPhone sold making those watching industry like a sport event duller.