Alli

WEEKEND Box Office: BOO-21.6M; Geostorm-13.3M; OTB-6M; Snowman-3.4M

3 hours ago, Webslinger said:

Yikes. Five new releases and not one of them performed up to their full potential.

Then again, I think unintentional bad timing hurt three of the films to some degree. Geostorm is a disaster film opening in relatively close proximity to three devastating storms in the states and a territory, Only the Brave comes on the heels of an especially nasty wildfire season on the west coast, and The Snowman depicts grisly violence against women while sexual assault and harassment are in the media spotlight (this last one's a stretch, yes, but it had me more turned off to seeing the film than the blisteringly negative reviews did).

As others have already said, exhibitors must be desperate for Thor and Bad Moms right about now.

You forgot, they released a movie called "SNOW"man in the middle of a nice autumn weekend where most of the country is still in shorts (I was)...that alone was a genius release date or titling move...

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Daddy's Home 2, JL and Coco are going make The Star into Christmas dinner. 

Exactly, I just think it’ll have a nice little run. Ala Arthur’s Christmas and Happy Feet 2. It’ll be much smaller but it can have some legs like most animated movies.

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

You forgot, they released a movie called "SNOW"man in the middle of a nice autumn weekend where most of the country is still in shorts (I was)...that alone was a genius release date or titling move...

I feel like if The Snowman wasn’t hated by everyone and Universal didn’t drop the ball on marketing after they knew they had a stinker, it’d be fine.

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

I feel like if The Snowman wasn’t hated by everyone and Universal didn’t drop the ball on marketing after they knew they had a stinker, it’d be fine.

ah yes, if the circumstances were entirely different then the outcome would possibly also be entirely different. an interesting point to be sure.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, YourMother said:

Yeah, but if it was a good movie, Universal probably would have found a nice Jan/Feb weekend with less premier movies and less movies competing for space and actually marketed the movie before Thursday (and done it to represent the actual movie, not a horror movie wannabe)...

But this is why bad movies tend to do badly...when the studios know they are bad quality, they set them up to fail with little marketing, date consideration, or fanfare...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Daddy's Home 2, JL and Coco are going make The Star into Christmas dinner. 

THR or Variety said that Coco is paint-by-numbers Disney cartoon. 

Will probably make a fortune, despite not living up to its unique look. 

7 hours ago, John Marston said:

Blade Runner will lose a shit load of theaters next week likely and then the week after so except constant 55-60 drops

might have to catch a it a 3rd and final time before then

Thor gonna make like what 400-450m and BR2049 gonna make like 80m

Damn GA...

giphy.gif

Jigsaw is going to tank so hard next weekend that I’m already laughing.

There’s no space for this kind of Horror these days, and since even their target (fandom) is not answering (it isn’t even in the top 10 of Twitter and Facebook tracking), you can be sure that GA will care even less. I wouldn’t be surprise if it end as the lowest movie of the franchise. 

17 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

The Snowman (water)

Only the Brave (fire)

Geostorm (air)

Madea (crazy black grandma with machete or down to earth)

FIFY

Snowman, Madea, Only The Brave, and Geostorm. Long ago, the four movies lived together in harmony at the box office . Then, everything changed when the Only The Brave flopped. Only Devlin, master of all movies could stop them, but when the world needed him most, he vanished. A hundred years passed and my brother and I discovered the new Avatar, an Geostorm actor named Gerard Butler. And although his lead acting skills are great, he has a lot to learn before he's ready to save anyone. But I believe Butler can save the box office.

Edited by YourMother
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

might have to catch a it a 3rd and final time before then

Thor gonna make like what 400-450m and BR2049 gonna make like 80m

Damn GA...

giphy.gif

Futurist just reminded me in the 2049 thread that it will likely make less than the original adjusted. 

The studios are clearly paying the price for assuming that Blade Runner 2049 would find the same adult audience that carried Gravity, Gone Girl, and The Martian to big performances a few years back. In a perfect world, it would have been enormous and torched all competition in its path, but alas...

46 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

This weekend had all the elements:

The Snowman (ice)

Only the Brave (fire)

Geostorm (wind)

Madea (crazy black grandma with machete)

We could have saved the box office. The studios gave us all the clues films

• Sad 1