Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

7 minutes ago, Nova said:

Can someone explain to me why Emma Stone and Rachel Weisz are being placed in supporting and Olivia Coleman is being placed in lead? When in reality, Stone and Weisz are the leads and Coleman is supporting. Imagine a person who is actually a supporting actress not getting a nom this year because of blatant as hell category fraud. 

Another thing The Academy/The Globes needs to fix. Just because someone wants to campaign in lead or supporting when they're not obviously lead or in a supporting role, doesn't mean you grant their wish. Stone and Weisz should be in lead. Coleman in supporting. If Weisz and Stone cancel each other out, oh well. *Although I think the Globes does that considering Portman put herself in supporting and they said no and decided she was lead. They should do the same for Weisz and Stone tbh 

The movie revolves around Queen Anne, so it's only natural Colman is lead. Searchlight was considering adding Stone in lead with Colman but ultimately decided against it. Weisz was always planned as supporting from what I understand

• Thanks 1

I just saw , from that picture of Mike Pence with a swat team member with a patch supporting the theory, that apparently QAnon is the later wack theory? 

The stuff’s crazy and confusing.  Apparently it boils down somebody on 4chan claims to have top secret clearance and says Trump is personally taking down underground ‘satanic pedophile rings (run by the Jews, just because 4chan has to throw in antisemitism’, and apparently Tom Hanks is apart of it, in an effort to fight ‘the deep state’.  

Apparently this same guy was somebody trying to spread the Seth Rich stuff, and claimed Merkel is hitler’s granddaughter.

Definitely the most WTF crazy thing I’ve heard in a while.  Shocking that people will go to that length of theorycrafting to try to make their side look good.

43 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

The movie revolves around Queen Anne, so it's only natural Colman is lead. Searchlight was considering adding Stone in lead with Colman but ultimately decided against it. Weisz was always planned as supporting from what I understand

That's how I understood it but after seeing it, all three actresses are leads and if anything Coleman is supporting. I understand that it's a movie about Queen Anne but Coleman feels like a supporting role out of the three of them. However, I just read that because Coleman's performance was getting the most raves, they decided to go with her as the lead. Still Stone and Weisz are def not supporting :ph34r:

*I wish Coleman went supporting to make that race more interesting. Best actress imo is gonna be between Gaga and Blunt 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I really don't want to sound insensitive or offend you in any way but this is party the mentality that made me stay away of religion. I am one of the 7.7 billion people living on this earth right now, one of the trillions of living organisms who have ever stood their foot on this planet. Isn't it foolish to believe that my problems matter that much for a higher power to intervene while

a.)there is so much pain in this world. (Much more important and common problems where that higher power did nothing to prevent them).

b.)our existance matters so little. (We live and die and macroscopically we change almost nothing).

So pretty much I have never been religious because I believe that religion has always been a weapon of manipulation for those in power and I wholeheartedly disagree with how it is practised.However, even if that was not a problem, I still wouldn't believe because I am perfectly aware and have accepted how little my life matters and so I have no need to find answers that don't exist to avoid the truth.

I'd never be offended - the thing with religion is that you take it on faith...and how can you force a faith on someone - that's like the exact opposite of what faith is:)...

Although, one thing I disagree with you on and this may not matter to you...but your life matters...and it matters a lot.  Maybe not to the immediate macro-level of the world, but we don't live life at the macro-level.  We live it at a micro-level, and create ripples that grow bigger and bigger as we live...ripples that may or may not ripple out to a macro-level today, tomorrow, or (more likely) generations after our life.  Belief in a higher power isn't necessary to have an understanding of the worth of yourself and your importance to your friends, family, and the overall society:).  You are always worth something and you matter now (even if there is never something much, much later:). 

Just think - every day, we affect someone and they affect us.  Even now, our 1st two posts are probably having an effect on someone reading this board...maybe not today, and maybe not to the board regulars, but someone guesting in next week might see this and sit and think...and one of us may have moved them to reconsider their current thoughts...and we don't even know that we did that:)...so, even in just this conversation, we mattered:)...

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I'd never be offended - the thing with religion is that you take it on faith...and how can you force a faith on someone - that's like the exact opposite of what faith is:)...

Although, one thing I disagree with you on and this may not matter to you...but your life matters...and it matters a lot.  Maybe not to the immediate macro-level of the world, but we don't live life at the macro-level.  We live it at a micro-level, and create ripples that grow bigger and bigger as we live...ripples that may or may not ripple out to a macro-level today, tomorrow, or (more likely) generations after our life.  Belief in a higher power isn't necessary to have an understanding of the worth of yourself and your importance to your friends, family, and the overall society:).  You are always worth something and you matter now (even if there is never something much, much later:). 

Just think - every day, we affect someone and they affect us.  Even now, our 1st two posts are probably having an effect on someone reading this board...maybe not today, and maybe not to the board regulars, but someone guesting in next week might see this and sit and think...and one of us may have moved them to reconsider their current thoughts...and we don't even know that we did that:)...so, even in just this conversation, we mattered:)...

Everything you said is true but I think the world suffers a lot from people who don't understand how "in a macro-level they don't matter". Of cource you should value your life but not to the extent that you act selfishly or you become a narcissist.

• Like 3

The amount of people that have been killed and the hatred that I have seen towards groups of people because of religious ideology has made me stray far far away from it. 

I get conflicted between believing in God and not believing in God. I see the good that happens in the world but at the same time, every time I believe there is a God, I think: if there was really a god, why would he let his people suffer the way that they do? Why does he allow people to hate and murder? I didn't really start thinking this way until the last couple years though. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

The amount of people that have been killed and the hatred that I have seen towards groups of people because of religious ideology has made me stray far far away from it. 

I get conflicted between believing in God and not believing in God. I see the good that happens in the world but at the same time, every time I believe there is a God, I think: if there was really a god, why would he let his people suffer the way that they do? Why does he allow people to hate and murder? I didn't really start thinking this way until the last couple years though. 

I have always said this but for me believing in god as presented in christianity together with all the things said on the bible shows some great deal of priviledge. Because if you have seen what is happening out there you can't help but debunk the whole project.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Nova said:

That is always one of the toughest questions to answer - why do bad things happen to good people?  Why does the higher power let people suffer and let people hurt others so?

That would be a really, really long theological discussion for a movie board:)...but in 50 words or less...I believe (and you may disagree - many folks of both faith and non-faith do) that to have done otherwise would have required humanity to exist without free will, or the freedom to choose for themselves how they live.  If we were all programmed to be a baseline good, we would effectively be programmed and unable to grow and develop into the possible creatures who could elevate to a higher level and eventually understand the true and perfect reasons behind the questions.

Edited by TwoMisfits

9 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

The cornerstone of any religion is faith. Logic or rational thinking isn’t key not saying this as a value judgment), so I’m not sure why atheists continue to use it to “disprove” the existence of god.

929rcurh47021.jpg

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

The cornerstone of any religion is faith. Logic or rational thinking isn’t key not saying this as a value judgment), so I’m not sure why atheists continue to use it to “disprove” the existence of god.

Religion has gone well beyond that simple faith since millenia. It's a system with it's own rules. And if you don't follow those rules, you face reprucusions. Maybe not in US but very much in India. 

Then, you have to attack that faith as it's no more harmless. It's much more to attack their other parts of faith then the existence of god. Attacking the cornerstone to bring down another part of the building.

1 hour ago, Telemachos said:

I really had to let go of the “Rational” religion that most people try to set up in order to really be able to dig deep into where I find my meaning spiritually.

I probably don’t have satisfactory philosophical answers for “Why do people suffer if God exists” type of questions.  I had plenty of textbook answers taught from my local church growing up, but after spiritual deconstruction those really felt rather hollow.

Overall, I see God as being in everything, everything being a manifestation of God (not necessarily that everything is God though, if that makes any sense).  And I see any form of Love as an expression of God.

In that sense, it makes less sense to me to worry about how there could be suffering and God.  I’ve seen plenty of arguments why that could be, and I’ve seen plenty of arguments about why the two can’t coexist unless God is evil, and neither of those have ever satisfied me.  Instead, I think it’s better to ask what we can do about suffering.

The answer is we act out of love, which means taking care of the sick, poor, destitute and persecuted.  It means treating others with kindness, as you’d want to be treated.  And I see all of this, as well as the beauty of the Earth we live in, as a manifestation of God.

It’s probably the reason I’d still identify as Christian.  Because while I recognize the Bible has been used for great harm in the past, I’ve also seen how it’s been used for good.  For all of the slave owners, puritans, crusaders and Billy Grahams, you also have the religion of people from the Civil Rights Movement, the slaves finding hope in the Exodus Story, and just today a Swedish church having a non-stop service in order to provide sanctuary to an undocumented Armenian immigrant who would have been deported otherwise.  When the scripture is taken more as it is and viewed from new lenses (and not as a literal instruction book or something), there’s lots of inspiration about a God who cares about justice and love for all.

I certainly don’t have answers for everything.  My faith also isn’t something I’d ever use to refute science or the rights of others (but the way my faith is set up, I don’t see how that conflict would arise.  As it’s about the spiritual and moral, not the natural world.  And it’s about loving and respecting the rights of others).  I also don’t really feel the need to try to make others view the world exactly as I do.

But I do think having an understanding that religion and spirituality arent necessarily bad, and that they can offer (and have offered) hope, meaning, transcendence and deliverance to all people.  Of course, there are also very toxic forms of it, but I don’t think that toxicity of certain religious sects should make people come to the conclusion that religion and spirituality has nothing positive to offer.  They’ve offered me more than anything else within my life.

• Like 4