Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

2018 was about even with 2017 in terms of movies (not my life tho; 2018 was by faaaaaar the worst year of my life). I haven’t seen anything that would be above my top 3 in 2017 (also haven’t seen any of December’s movies), but my top ten at the moment is quite a bit better than my top ten last year. Maybe when I see a few more movies 2018 can leap over 2017. 2016 and 2015 were definitely better years though, even with the former’s lack of good blockbusters.

Edited by WrathOfHan

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

2018 was about even with 2017 in terms of movies (not my life tho; 2018 was by faaaaaar the worst year of my life). I haven’t seen anything that would be above my top 3 in 2017 (also haven’t seen any of December’s movies), but my top ten at the moment is quite a bit better than my top ten last year. Maybe when I see a few more movies 2018 can leap over 2017. 2016 and 2015 were definitely better years though, even with the former’s lack of good blockbusters.

NeedyBitterGossamerwingedbutterfly-size_

2017 had a lot of good best picture candidates,

but I think all the 2018 movies packed a good punch w/ social and political issues.

likely to be forgotten like power point presentations, but people keep going back to theaters to catch up on these overstuffed thrilling and diverting movies that rival all the good free stuff from Netflix.

My "in theater" 2018 movies (in reverse order)...

The Grinch

Aquaman

Spiderman - Into the Spiderverse

Venom

Smallfoot

Teen Titans Go to the Movies!

Hotel Transylvania 3

Incredibles 2

Avengers Infinity War

Funny enough, I watched nothing in theater for the 1st 4 months of the year...and then watched a ton late in the year...I think I had a really busy winter/spring:)...either that, or I found no ticket deals for the movies I wanted (or both!)...

So, I watched 12 movies in theater for 2017 and only 9 for 2018.  My New Year's Resolution is to watch 10+ in theater for 2019.  And to fit in more "date night" movies, since the only 2 I saw without the kids were Venom and AIW!

Funny enough, if you'd have asked me before the year, it would have been a no-brainer that I was at Fantastic Beasts 2...but this is why those family and friend reviews matter:)...

I used to shit on 2011 quite a bit, but We Need to Talk About Kevin and Tree of Life are probably pretty high on my best of the decade list. Can’t say that about my top films in years like 2018 or 2014. We should really do a best of the decade list in addition to the best of 2019 next year 🤔

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

2019 looks like the year the Hollywood blockbuster will officially take over. Maybe some good stuff will emerge from Sundance in a few weeks.

Yeah, right now I’m really not feeling the more prestigious movies, but it’s also pretty early to declare how they will end up.