Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

2018 was a weaksauce year for film, or maybe I just think that coming off of just how many great films we had in 2017. First Reformed will probably stick with me the most for a film this year, and is maybe the most important film that came out? The big budget stuff was all lacking outside of Spider-Verse/Fallout, but those two feel like they're in a league of their own compared to most studio fare. Searching was an excellent surprise, First Man was a technical masterpiece if somewhat emotionally flat, Hereditary/A Quiet Place brought something fresh & new to the often stale horror genre, and the live action funnybook output was fine, I suppose. Still need to catch Roma/The Favourite/Eighth Grade/Leave No Trace/Mandy, one of which I already know will be in my top 3 since Yorgos' last two films cracked in there for their respective years.

2019 already looks more promising with a new Jakey G/Gilroy collaboration, new output from Tarantino, Scorsese's return to the genre he'd redefined - and bringing back Pesci for the ride - as well as follow ups to two of my favourite animated films of the decade in the form of HTTYD 3 and The LEGO 2vie. Shyamalan's capping off his superhero saga, Joaquin is the Joker, and James Mangold's doing a film on Le Mans '66. After how great The Lost City of Z was, Ad Astra could be another great surprise, and I've not even talked about the movie event of next year - Detective Pikachu.

• Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, nature club said:

I think YouTube NSFW, especially with the volume loud.  

Sex/nudity usually has introduction w/ video and violence w/ video is very sudden, but Exorcist scary scary.

very disturbing scene in Exorcist, one of the first I saw that included child getting killed

nudity in work or on computer at work is different from fantasy movies

having children around maybe cause brain shift to seek different material

Me mostly selftrained in Engllish have often problems to understand the finer details of a posts (like if someone means something positive or negative sarcasm,...)

Do not understand what you try to convey here

I see e.g. nudity.... is mentioned = that is here way less of a NSFW or children are around ... problem than violence or gore or such

Different cultures, different POV what is suited and what not ....

38 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Getting older it gets harder and harder to find spare time with friends. 

Wait a few years and it gets really 'difficult'.... especially if your circle of friends has a lot of moto cyclists in it (I sold mine ~ 2 years back)

10 minutes ago, Morieris said:

When 51 people wish you Happy Birthday on Linked In 😳 thanks guys.

Happy brithday to you too (in case I missed it) :hiphiphoray: (I am very bad with names)

• Thanks 1

I think the only book I read in 2018 was half of Infinite Jest lol, but I spent so much of the first half getting Uni stuff sorted/A-levels/getting a workout routine sorted and so much of the back half traveling/going to Uni, so I'll try to read more this coming year for sure

My New Years solution is to get that long lasting 'English' project I sometimes mention finalised in 2019.

I started ~ 3y+ back with it.

Hence why e.g. yesterday were mothers... during school holiday with me in the school library. Might have finalised 10% of the actual markings needed to be done.

Biggest part was (and still is as that is not finalized) to find out which (English) book has what kind of level (US common core and UK book band system, plus ATOS and Lexile), how those correlate to each other and take those correlation to develop a kind of calculation model to get that to match for ESL pupils was also a bit of 'fun' ~ :pcwhack:

Today e.g. I learned which GRL letters the Warriors book series titles have, also for the Stormbreaker / Alex Rider book series, means its a good day beside being a bit .... ~:( as package 2 out of 2 packages with my 'new' tools still sits in a far away parcel central station (term?).

Since the 20 December :angry:

Edited by terrestrial

The Netflix Black Mirror interactive movie was fun. I think I got most of the endings but only one of them felt like an actual ending to the story. That will probably be the last movie I watch till 2019 unless I catch something tonight. 

Also Happy New Years to everyone!  

Edited by EarlyDeadlinePredictions

Just now, Telemachos said:

I didn’t realize any yahoo could video himself doing some shit or other, upload it to YouTube as a “short film”, and IMDB would accept it as a legit credit. 

There are some MRA idiots with like 800

IMDB credits. 

Pfff. :hahaha:

And here we were, thinking you're a true movie business insider. We need one of those guys on here!

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I didn’t realize any yahoo could video himself doing some shit or other, upload it to YouTube as a “short film”, and IMDB would accept it as a legit credit. 

There are some MRA idiots with like 800

IMDB credits. 

Its not really a joke Tele, the right and Alt-Right has a very strong and powerful presence on Youtube and have been projecting their messages to millions through such videos. 

Ben Shapiro rise to fame came thru "shapiro owning Libs" videos on youtube and Jordan Peterson thru video confrontations.

There are countless others who get millions of views in videos all the time. 

With more people not watching news and mainstream TV and such, its a great place to spread misinformation and such.

Like Prager U videos have been seen over 600million times

Edited by Lordmandeep

11 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Its not really a joke Tele, the right and Alt-Right has a very strong and powerful presence on Youtube and have been projecting their messages to millions through such videos. 

Ben Shapiro rise to fame came thru "shapiro owning Libs" videos on youtube and Jordan Peterson thru video confrontations.

There are countless others who get millions of views in videos all the time. 

That good example of jokes here, if you film Shapiro speaking in a conference with a cellphone without adding value to the actual capture, post it on youtube and get 4 millions view, you should not get an IMDB credit for that.

Same goes for filming a live show on a popular artist and posting it on youtube..... even if you get 100m views.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3