Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

1 minute ago, raegr said:

Meds won't help and my friend is currently struggling, he doesn't want to worry his parents. My friend also wouldn't want his dirty laundry on his medical record either. He feels trapped sometimes but he remedies it through other things and it feels better. There is always a brighter day, new beginnings and a happy ending.

Stay strong!

Tell your friend it's not "dirty laundry" on a medical record. 

The stigma attached to mental illnesses and depression is so appallingly stupid. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Thanks to all the people who wished me a Happy Birthday. I just got back from Coco (Top 5 Pixar, IMHO), and I've mainly just been enjoying and relaxing today.

Happy birthday! I hope you continue to have a lovely day and enjoy this special time. Set goals, travel and learn as much as you can. Do your best and have a lovely year!

148577-Happy-Birthday-Im.jpg

4 minutes ago, raegr said:

You're right.

But one may wonder, what if an individual does very well in life and his medical history, darkest secrets and low lows are revealed, we wouldn't want that would we?

Regarding stigma, people who may be experiencing depression, anxiety, sadness and addiction don't want people to feel sorry for them or for them to be judged. They may want to try to handle it on their own.

Medical records are private and doctor/patient privilege is taken very seriously. 

Someone suffering from depression may want to handle it on their own, but they're not in a good place to judge whether that's a good idea or not. The fact that our culture and media has traditionally pushed this sort of macho, individualist mentality is also terrible. Self help in this area tends towards self medicating through alcohol or worse. 

As a friend, you can both be a good listener and remind them that seeking professional help is both a great and effective way to take on these particular challenges. 

4 minutes ago, raegr said:

Oh boy, well, his mom has lots on her plate and he doesn't want to make things worse, he feels he can handle it.

Dirty laundry on a medical record can be a thing. For example, if I accidentally crash into someone's car or my house is catches on fire, they could easily say "this person has a history of _________ and thus, had a fit of rage that caused them to ________"

Is that the truth? No but in a court of law, anything can be fabricated and it makes him very careful with what he says and does because it leaves a paper trail that can then be used to incriminate him. 

Your friend's concept of legal and medical issues is both woefully dramatic and off-base.

Just now, raegr said:

If I need them? Honey, I do not need them, I'm not depressed, I'm fine. 

It's not even @raegr I'm referring to, it's @raegr's close friend. 

First off, he's way to young for pills, waaaayyyy too young for pills, second off, from what I know, he's nervous, get's sad sometimes and feels lonely/experiences a heck ton of self-doubt/self-image problems. That is fixed when you reach within. Taking drugs won't help man. 

Neither you or he are qualified to say whether he's "too young for pills", c'mon man. Sometimes it can be beneficial even at a young age -- and I'm hardly someone who's emphatically pro-prescriptions. 

"That is fixed when you reach within".... maybe, if it's not a significant condition. If it is, that's not a helpful solution at all. Honestly, this is exactly the sort of attitude that doesn't help (and regrettably, one that our culture has happily promoted). Neither you nor your friend knows whether medication will help his specific issues or not, but him making up his mind in advance isn't a great idea. 

3 minutes ago, raegr said:

It's risky business, I know my friend very well, better than you'd probably imagine and he will doesn't need it.

Recommending someone talk to a therapist is hardly a big issue, nor does it require knowing them well. Broadly speaking, it's a great idea to seek therapy or coaching for any sort of concern in that area (or even for other reasons: life coaching, etc).

It's not risky business either. A psychologist or therapist can't prescribe medication -- there's literally no reason not to see one except for some perceived stigma. A psychiatrist *can* prescribe but your friend wouldn't need to automatically see one *or* accept the prescription if he/she didn't want to. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, raegr said:

Who are you referring to? Like in a general sense (to whom may be reading)?

Anyone. I think it's just a thought that needs to spread more because I know there are plenty of people going through depression and not seeking help (as I once did)

• Like 1

Here's the teaser trailer everyone's (not) been waiting for!

Boasting an impressive track record of matching the BOFFY winner 3/5 times and the Oscar winner 0/5, it's one of the first Local BOT Precursors of the year!  It originated as a Blog the first two years before establishing its home here!  

Its the most unanticipated, non-event of the year...

The 6th Annual Bamboo Awards

Coming December 30th, 2017 to a Speakeasy near you

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

21 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Here's the teaser trailer everyone's (not) been waiting for!

Boasting an impressive track record of matching the BOFFY winner 3/5 times and the Oscar winner 0/5, it's one of the first Local BOT Precursors of the year!  It originated as a Blog the first two years before establishing its home here!  

Its the most unanticipated, non-event of the year...

Hide contents

The 6th Annual Bamboo Awards

Coming December 30th, 2017 to a Speakeasy near you

Not enough Goldblum. The trailer looks generic af.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1