Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

3 hours ago, Thematrixfilm said:

when making a list of the films from the 70s decade and the 80s decade, would you put Mad Max in the 70s or 80s?  Released in Australia in 1979, U.S. in 1980.

If it first premiered in 79 then it's from the 70s. Who cares when the rest of the world got it. Trashmerica, etc

• Like 2

Just watched Demme's Manchurian Candidate. Probably should've watched the '62 one first but it's not on Netflix and this one is, so whatever.

Enjoyed it a lot. I love the way Demme shoots his movies. Not just the signature close-ups but the way he films people in general. He's really effective at showing how people react to things, if that makes sense.

• Like 1

Went on the train last night... And fell asleep. Woke up when the train reached the end of the line, which needless to say was well past my stop. Phone had died so couldn't call anyone. Had to pay £50 for a taxi back to the correct station.

Just now, filmlover said:

Man, nobody likes this second season of 13 Reasons Why, huh? Hopefully Netflix decides "yeah, let's not pursue this anymore" so Dylan Minnette and Katherine Langford can move on to better projects.

I guess they might do a final season.

Me and my wife couldn’t be fucked to watch the whole blasted thing so we just hit the fast forward button and blitzed it, so here we are. There are fucking LAYERS to just how bad 13 Reasons Why 2 is. The season is built on extended flashbacks, a court case, and ‘where are they now’ scenes. 

The extended flashbacks cause a problem in that now we learn that every character seemingly knew each other to a degreee where a lot of the “reasons” in season 1, that lead to this girls suicide, could’ve been solved with a conversation. 

The court case could so easily be summed up in one word, and that word will probably spoil it so here’s the word in tag

Spoiler

predictable

The ‘where are they now’ scenes extend the show through conspiracies which go hand in hand with the other major problem here: KIDS DONT BEHAVE LIKE THIS. Kids don’t go around setting up mysteries. The schoolchildren’s behaviour towards the villain and his crew is MINDBLOWING. I do not know if American kids are soft or weak, but when I was in school we had a boy that hit his girlfriend ONCE and the kids fucked him up, they made his life hell, and most kids weren’t even sure he even did it but they took part (he 100% did it). Here the villain of the show has rumours and other students that know he raped a girl and this lead to her suicide, but he’s still allowed to walk the hallway with no problem, he can sit down in class with no problem, he can attend school events with no problem. He still has friends that hang around with him with no problem.

The season is capped off with a moment so insane, so ridiculous, so incredible, that you need to see it to believe it. I could not fathom what I was watching. It was truly something. The show does not jump the shark it flies over it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

I loved Deadpool 2 and Coolio turned into a stan for Ron Howard's franken-Solo. Next thing you know Jake Gittes gonna be in here giving a five star review to Jurassic World and shit. Chewy bout to have a Purge avatar. 

*insert the broadcast news devil speech here*

Some personal news:

1. Just finished my first year of college, pretty cool

2. Going on a date next week and feeling very anxious already

3. Recently bought an excellent pair of basketball shorts and they've honestly increased my quality of life so much

Edited by Jack Nevada
  • Like 9

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I guess the only unexpected part is that there's nothing for Burning considering that with the critics it became the highest-rated film since they started keeping track of that. (So in 16 years or something.) Look forward to most of these movies, anyway.

• Like 1