Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

8 hours ago, AJG said:

Can a Brazilian member here just give me some details on the election?

Our news says that they guy that’s gonna win has spoken in favour of dictatorships, wants to fill his cabinet only with generals, and told a female politician he “would rape her because she didn’t deserve it”.

I don’t know much about Brazillian politics so I’m not really sure if this stuff is normal or if it’s a cause for concern.

Here's what happened. This guy is a congressman and about 8 years ago he started to get attention in the media because of the shockingly homophobic and racist things he says. TV shows started interviewing him because the absurdity was entertaining. Turns out there were people who liked the things he said and wanted him to run for president. That was not a very alarming amount of people, but still significant (I don't have the numbers, but let's say it was about 8% of the voters).

In the meantime, our country was being ran by the big leftist party called Workers Party. President Lula won in 2002 and was re-elected in 2006, and then one of his allies Dilma was elected in 2010 and re-elected in 2014. During those years, there were some big corruption scandals inside the government that damaged their reputation, and by 2014 the party was heavily associated with corruption. In that year, the election was a very close race and Dilma won by just 51,6% vs 48,4% of the candidate from the Right.

After that election, the losing candidate and his party started working to destroy Dilma's government. She hated dealing with the corrupt politicians in the congress that the Workers Party had to be allied with in order to approve things, so the losing candidate saw an opportunity to seduce these politicians in order to betray the president and sabotage the government. Economy was bad and they took every opportunity to make it worse. With the majority of the congress working against the president, she failed to stop the economy from sinking. Eventually, Dilma's vice president joined the conspiracy, and in 2016 the congress voted her out of office. The impeachment process was a joke, since the president didn't commit any crime.

With all that happening, there was a lot of distrust for both right and left big parties. So, Bolsonaro, the homophobic congressman from a tiny party, continued to gain followers as he was positioned as an outsider, a religious and honest man who could end corruption. With the traditional right party's candidate failing to do well on the polls, Bolsonaro started gaining support from the market, the big corporations and some media groups, and with that much power behind him, his campaign used viral fake news to raise distrust in the big left candidate from the Workers Party, called Haddad.

The election is tomorrow but Bolsonaro has to get 51% of the votes to win. If he doesn't reach that number, there will be a second round on October 28 between him and Haddad. Bolsonaro was at 39% two days ago, but growing fast. Haddad was at 25%. There's a big chunk of the voters (36%) divided between a lot of other candidates. In the second round, the majority of them will go to Haddad, and projections have them neck and neck. 45% of the voters say they'll never vote for Bolsonaro.

1 hour ago, Water Bottle said:

gxfh0tpwaamvxiydjdyv.png

Man the loser Hemsworth really ruining his family's image.

I don't really trust tabloid magazines. They sensationalize their content to try and get more attention. I'm just not convinced that Chris Hemsworth is the type that would make sense on the cover of such a magazine.

1 minute ago, PANDA said:

Thanks!

I saw Lady Gaga and definitely got hit in the feels

Nice! Glad to hear you saw ASIB. It's a really good film, and Gaga and Cooper's performances definitely helps. My packed theater was straight up in tears by the end. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Nice! Glad to hear you saw ASIB. It's a really good film, and Gaga and Cooper's performances definitely helps. My packed theater was straight up in tears by the end. 

It’s the most well executed version of the story that’s been made.  Really good stuff

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 6:06 AM, dtairdryZid said:

grading yesterday's predictions...

Houston wins 7-2.  6/10

Boston wins 5-4.  2/10

Milwaukee wins 4-0.  0/10

Los Angeles wins 3-0.  8/10

final grade - 16/40 = 40%

Today's predictions.

Houston - 4

Cleveland - 3

NYY - 5