Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

16 hours ago, Torontofan said:

A lot of rich people in urban areas go #this that on twitter for politics then oppose affordable housing. 

Like i can understand some concerns, my cousin bought a condo in a cool area. Then city put a homeless shelter beside it and now you cant go out at night. 

I doubt Dave Chappelle does the twitter game like most celebs but I could be wrong.

16 hours ago, Porthos said:

Just because you can understand why someone might hold a shitty viewpoint doesn't stop it from being a shitty viewpoint. 👍

It's not a shitty viewpoint, it's a concerned viewpoint from someone with millions on the line.

It's very easy to condem when you dont have your money on the line. Rich areas will tend to have more investment put into its surroundings. He doesn't want to invest in an area that might not be profitable, this is just general economics. It's not even worth a headline.

Your viewpoint is what causes a businsess to go bust because they opened up in areas with less wealth, and in term less customers. For example my Town doesnt have a university, yet we have nigutclubs opening and closing down every year because there just arent enough young people to keep them afloat. Dave Chappelle basically just wants his Uni fo help his investment. If you go to a richer area or city, there tends to be more to do because many other people are investing like Chappelle. There is a reason why my small Town doesn't have a ritz, it would be a waste

9 hours ago, Tarintino said:

I doubt Dave Chappelle does the twitter game like most celebs but I could be wrong.

It's not a shitty viewpoint, it's a concerned viewpoint from someone with millions on the line.

It's very easy to condem when you dont have your money on the line. Rich areas will tend to have more investment put into its surroundings. He doesn't want to invest in an area that might not be profitable, this is just general economics. It's not even worth a headline.

Your viewpoint is what causes a businsess to go bust because they opened up in areas with less wealth, and in term less customers. For example my Town doesnt have a university, yet we have nigutclubs opening and closing down every year because there just arent enough young people to keep them afloat. Dave Chappelle basically just wants his Uni fo help his investment. If you go to a richer area or city, there tends to be more to do because many other people are investing like Chappelle. There is a reason why my small Town doesn't have a ritz, it would be a waste

Not the thread to go deeply into this, but 90% to 95% of NIMBYism (which is exactly what this is) doesn't stand up to scrutiny.  

Dress it up in economics all you want, but being anti-affordable housing (or really any anti-new housing/apartments) when this nation is in a SEVERE housing crisis that is only going to get worse is... Not.  Helpful.

I would also add, everyone from the rich business owners to the so-called concerned soccer moms to various activists across the political spectrum can come up with logical-from-their-perspective reasons to be against more housing in areas they care about.  And it's EXACTLY because of all of this narrow shortsighted self-interest that we are facing a worsening housing crisis in the US.

(and I say all of this as a person who didn't care when a half-way house was opened in their neighborhood and wants more homeless shelters/centers in the area)

So, no, can't say I agree or care very much with Chappelle's concerns. And that's without even dragging in the class-warfare aspects that are simmering under the surface.

22 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Holy shit

I have strong doubts around this because all of NATO and the EU are ready now. They weren't a month ago. Any invasion now, especially with the citizens being asked to return home is just asking for trouble and a lot of troop casualties. This isn't catching anyone by surprise anymore.

If Putin wanted to invade, he would have likely done it in early January. Now it's more that he can't back down without either getting concessions or looking like a fool. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

I have strong doubts around this because all of NATO and the EU are ready now. They weren't a month ago. Any invasion now, especially with the citizens being asked to return home is just asking for trouble and a lot of troop casualties. This isn't catching anyone by surprise anymore.

If Putin wanted to invade, he would have likely done it in early January. Now it's more that he can't back down without either getting concessions or looking like a fool. 

I'm totally guessing here, but if the worst outcome occurs and an invasion does happen, I think Russia will likely take everything east of the Dnieper river and use that as the new natural border.  Most of the population in those regions are either Russian speaking or ethnically Russian and would be much easier to control and occupy without much insurgency.  The same rationale as Crimea would apply: what are you gonna do about it?  Why do you need to destroy the Ukrainian military if you force their retreat behind the Dnieper River?  It seems if the Russian goal is a land bridge to Crimea, securing breakaways as buffer zones, as well as keeping Ukraine out of NATO, the Dnieper River would be the their solution.  The fact that the US wouldn't ratify the new border is ideal for them because it would keep Ukraine out of NATO indefinitely which of course is what this entire conflict is all about.

Edited by Ozymandias

I am deeply unimpressed with this so-called rebuttal from Dave Chappelle's team:

Taiyler Simone Mitchell,Kelsey Neubauer

Comedian Dave Chappelle attends a super middleweight title unification fight between Canelo Alvarez, of Mexico, and Caleb Plant, Saturday, Nov. 6, 2021, in Las Vegas.

Comedian Dave Chappelle attends a super middleweight title unification fight between Canelo Alvarez, of Mexico, and Caleb Plant, Saturday, Nov. 6, 2021, in Las Vegas.AP Photo/Steve Marcus
  • Dave Chappelle spoke out against a housing development in his Ohio town with an affordable portion.

• The comedian said the proposal would not serve Yellow Springs, where he is a resident and landlord.

• On Thursday, Chappelle said it was "a half-baked plan which never actually offered affordable housing."

Comedian Dave Chappelle responded Thursday to claims that he shot down an affordable housing development in Yellow Springs, Ohio, where he lives and owns at least 10 residential and commercial properties worth millions of dollars.

In a February 7 meeting of the Yellow Springs Village Council, Chappelle and other town residents spoke out against a proposed development of single-family homes with more affordable housing elements like condos and townhomes.

Chappelle threatened to take all his investments in the town "off the table" if the plan passed. The council vote ended in a 2-2 tie, which forces developer Oberer Homes to revert to a previously approved plan with entirely single-family homes if it wants to proceed.

A video of Chappelle's remarks at the meeting — including when he told council members, "You look like clowns"  circulated this week. Critics accused him of scuttling affordable housing in Yellow Springs, a town of about 4,000 people near Dayton, where Chappelle is a resident, landlord, and business owner.

On Thursday, the comedian fought back through his spokesperson, saying that the characterization was false.

"Dave Chappelle didn't kill affordable housing," said his spokeswoman, Carla Sims, in a statement to Insider. "Concerned residents and a responding Village Council 'killed' a half-baked plan, which never actually offered affordable housing."

Oberer Homes' proposal, which got voted down, included 64 single-family homes, 52 duplexes, and 24 townhomes, ranging in price from $250,000 to $600,000, according to a council memo comparing the two plans.

"In Yellow Springs, and in many other places, that is not considered affordable housing," Sims said in the statement. "Instead, it's an accelerant of the homogenization of Yellow Springs."

The median price for a home in Yellow Springs — where Chappelle lives on a 39-acre farm that he bought for $690,000 in 2015 — hit $319,000 at the end of last year, according to Realtor.com.

"Neither Dave nor his neighbors are against affordable housing, however, they are against the poorly vetted, cookie-cutter, sprawl-style development deal, which has little regard for the community, culture, and infrastructure of the Village," Sims said in the statement. "The whole development deal, cloaked as an affordable housing plan, is anything but affordable."

Oberer Homes can revert to a previously approved plan of 143 single-family homes ranging from $300,000 to $600,000. The Yellow Springs Village Council did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.

Pure, uncut, NIMBYism.   Deeply DEEEEEEEEPLY unimpressed.  So so soooo unimpressed.

Just another backlash to duplexes and townhouses/apartments in suburbia and feeding into the mania over "protecting" areas to only have "single family homes".

Just ridiculous.

(if one wants to argue about what "affordable housing" is in this market, leave me out — thanks)

Edited by Porthos

1 hour ago, commendable said:

Whats the box office situation looking like in war scenario 

Speaking of which,

Example #4,189,027 of How Social Media is Irrevocably Broken:

FLaadOiX0AI9Q9-?format=jpg&name=small FLaadOgXMAEcRnj?format=jpg&name=medium

And it's not just this.  It's far too often a pattern that the initial attention grabbing blast goes viral far and wide, but the follow up gets a minimal fraction of the engagement.

Now Jake Sullivan's tweet might have gotten it's own engagement, but this is still a clear cut example about how bad social media is set up when it comes to spreading information. And in this case, this is very much an example of "the fault is not in the stars, but in ourselves".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Porthos said:

Speaking of which,

Example #4,189,027 of How Social Media is Irrevocably Broken:

FLaadOiX0AI9Q9-?format=jpg&name=small FLaadOgXMAEcRnj?format=jpg&name=medium

And it's not just this.  It's far too often a pattern that the initial attention grabbing blast goes viral far and wide, but the follow up gets a minimal fraction of the engagement.

Now Jake Sullivan's tweet might have gotten it's own engagement, but this is still a clear cut example about how bad social media is set up when it comes to spreading information. And in this case, this is very much an example of "the fault is not in the stars, but in ourselves".

So theres literally no real indication that anything is going to happen ... 😐
He's just trying to push his approval rating up in time for the midterms man.

Edited by commendable

16 minutes ago, commendable said:

So theres literally no real indication that anything is going to happen ... 😐
He's just trying to push his approval rating up in time for the midterms man.

I wouldn't say that (to either comment).  I was more using your post for a springboard for a complaint that I was already coming here to make about how viral news spreads, but follow ups to the news rarely reach as far.

As for the specifics regarding Russia and Ukraine?  Who the hell knows. Ton of saber rattling from Russia to be sure.  Whether they're actually seriously intending on invading Ukraine or are playing a game of something close to chicken where they try to extract as much leverage/concessions out of Ukraine I don't know.  And I doubt many folks in the West know for sure either.

(my second reason for posting that was admittedly to pump the brakes a bit on the idea that a Russia/Ukraine conflict is happening Real Soon Now — it very well might, we just can't say for sure yet)