Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

This is going to sound very corny but it did make me completely recalibrate expectations. That partner pretty much running out on me just changed my entire perspective on work and made the weekends and long hours I had worked prior to that to help him meet his targets pretty much useless. I like my current coworkers a lot, but I have zero illusions that they won't be just as cold if a layoff situation happened again.

It's also why I clearly decided to prioritize the rest of my life over work at that moment. I now have calendar blocks and refuse to have meetings at school pickup time. I refuse to miss my daughter's school dances, assembly performances and soccer games. I switch off my laptop promptly at 5, if I have work pending I get to it after 9pm when my kids have gone to bed.

I feel for you, but at the same time incredibly happy for you. Your new life sounds wonderful and wholesome.

I've also been of the mind that as many people as possible should be working for themselves instead of being an employee whose sole purpose is to make money for those above. Make money for yourself and keep that money in the community. That's the way to go!

19 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I feel like everything after 2019 just went to hell. We entered some sort of portal into insanity. Twitter going down is surely gonna be an event.

Honestly, if all social media died it would be a net positive for humanity.

Meanwhile, as Twitter has been going down in flames, I finished watching both of the Ryan Murphy Netflix hits tonight.

Dahmer: I wasn't planning on watching this but all the buzz surrounding it even from friends of mine eventually made me cave. Honestly, my issue with this is not so much that it comes off as exploitative (I appreciate that they tried to give the victims a voice, though it's not nearly as effective here as it was in The Assassination of Gianni Versace) but that I just didn't come away from this feeling like I learned anything about this case that I didn't already know beforehand. And the stuff that is new has been established as an instance of taking dramatic license. Which wouldn't exactly be a bad thing (is any movie or TV show truly necessary, at the end of the day?) if we weren't subjected to scene after scene of stomach-churning acts of horror that were committed against real people. That said, it's very well-acted, and Evan Peters is especially tremendous and terrifying, so that made it worth the effort of making my way through it. I won't quibble if he ends up winning a second Emmy for this.

The fact there's supposed to be at least two more seasons of this via anthology just makes me 🤢

The Watcher: lol yeah no. Some fun campy supporting performances (from the likes of Jennifer Coolidge, Mia Farrow, Margo Martindale) but this is just nonsense. Also, a rare lousy performance from Naomi Watts. Usually she's pretty committed even when saddled with material obviously beneath her talents but here she's just sleepwalking. Perhaps the very long bad movie era she was stuck in over the last decade has finally rubbed off on her and she doesn't care anymore.

Edited by filmlover