Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

On 5/31/2023 at 10:27 AM, Napoleon said:

There are just as many great creative people out there who aren't abusive. There's no excuse for this type of male behavior to be tolerated in any workplace.

Oh, I 100% agree. Lindelof is a total asshole if the story is true, and  I have always despised the whole "Creative Artists are above the rules" attitude. I am a huge fan of the Buffyverse, but think Joss Whedon turned out to be a total Alpha Hotel.

My Point is, that people should not be shocked if an writer or any kind of artist they like turns out to be a badly flawed individual.

Richard Wagner was one of the greatest comosers who ever lives..certainly among the top Five...but as a human being he was a total disgrace.

Leni Riefenstahl was a brilliant filmmaker but she used her talent to glorify Adolf Hitler.

And the list goes on.

On 5/31/2023 at 8:01 PM, Plain Old Tele said:

Perhaps, but this isn’t linked to them being shitty people. And there’s enough solidly creative people in the industry that we don’t need to continue supporting the tired idea that brilliance is derived from being a miserable toxic asshole (and I say that as someone who’s really enjoyed the Lindelof shows I’ve seen). 

Artistic talent is morally neutral. Some really good people have it, some total Alpha Hotles also have it.

9 hours ago, dudalb said:

Artistic talent is morally neutral. Some really good people have it, some total Alpha Hotles also have it.

yeah but if you're working as a team, you need to not be abusive.

Maybe if you're a painter or a novelist, you can afford to be somewhat of an asshole, but people who are in charge of other people shouldn't abuse their authority.

On 6/1/2023 at 12:52 AM, filmlover said:

I admit I know very little about Lindelof as a person despite having seen many of his projects (a commentary on how little the average person knows - or even cares - about the folks behind the cameras? Maybe, perhaps) but admit it's unfortunate that those were allegedly the attitudes of the Lost staff back in the day. At least it sounds like he regrets not doing more since it's probably not a secret that those sort of attitudes were (likely) still prevalent in Hollywood even in the 2000s (which weren't that long ago).

Speaking of on-set hostility, they just announced Kim Cattrall will be making a single cameo appearance in the Sex and the City reboot/revival series (which I don't watch, that's one show that really should be left in its original era) in which she won't be sharing the screen with SJP or the others since it's a phone call scene. I hope she got 7 figures for this lol.

Kim Cattrall Will Play Samantha Jones on 'And Just Like That' Season 2 - Variety

Disappointed this wasn't kept a secret for us to find out while watching the show. WBD is all in on spoiling cameos to promote their content these days.

13 minutes ago, TMP said:

Feel like people always say this about apple and they always wind up still winning lol

True, but this whole VR/metaverse stuff just feels like a novelty and not something that's gonna catch on. Even when newer models come out and the costs come down, they're still gonna be like a thousand to pay for at worst and it's all just for flashy stuff I can already do and will give me a headache and motion sickness. Like you look at what they want to do with Disney+ and it's basically saying, "Watch Encanto, only with a million unnecessary screens shoved in your face while you're watching". Like...what's the appeal here?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eric 2099 said:

True, but this whole VR/metaverse stuff just feels like a novelty and not something that's gonna catch on. Even when newer models come out and the costs come down, they're still gonna be like a thousand to pay for at worst and it's all just for flashy stuff I can already do and will give me a headache and motion sickness. Like you look at what they want to do with Disney+ and it's basically saying, "Watch Encanto, only with a million unnecessary screens shoved in your face while you're watching". Like...what's the appeal here?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Eric 2099 said:

VR is neat for gaming, at least. Still not as good as a standard old flatscreen

15 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Apple honestly has the best shot at making this work. They're the only tech company in America with actual brand loyalty.

Video game consoles can get wild brand loyalty (though Xbox is a dumpster fire right now)

The problem with VR/AR (metaverse) is that companies try positing this tech as a social/lifestyle thing. I don't think your average person wants to wear a  headset on their face for HOURS on end, all alone. This tech is for gaming, play an hour or two and take it off. And this is Apple so NO games and there's no controllers. If you're a VR/AR enthusiast, you can get a top of the line headset for less than half the price and be able to do 10x more stuff with it. Hell you could build a new PC and get a Valve Index for less.

I think AR has mainstream potential but it'll be more corporate, training, doctors, industrial, etc. Being able to see stats and get live info while you're working. But as an everday tool? Not a chance, esp at $3500.

Apple's take on Google Glasses gonna be the biggest big tech flop since Metaverse, I'll make that bet rn.

Edited by TheDude391
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, TheDude391 said:

I don't think your average person wants to wear a  headset on their face for HOURS on end, all alone.

Thank you! I was just talking to Tele about this. I don’t want anything on my body like that. And how do you interact with people? Like, no way. This is just one step closer to some Matrix hellscape where they all put you in pods. 

Meanwhile:

• Like 2