Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

51 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Today someone told me they didn't like The Last Jedi today.... because "there shouldn't be Asians in star wars":winomg:

Cut that person out

• Like 1

Btw in case y’all are ever confused about this; I love you all and appreciate you a ton. Like surprisingly the reactions I’ve got here have made me feel better than any of my friends just giving me pity; you’re really helping me realize I don’t care that much about this lol

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, Blank Panther said:

Btw in case y’all are ever confused about this; I love you all and appreciate you a ton. Like surprisingly the reactions I’ve got here have made me feel better than any of my friends just giving me pity; you’re really helping me realize I don’t care that much about this lol

But are you still gonna watch COCO tonight? :thinking: 

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Blank Panther said:

It's not that you shouldn't care about this.  You should.

But you've been crushin' on this girl for a while and have sat around worrying, thinking and stewing.  Now you finally did something about it.  You didn't get the result you wanted but now you can move on.

Don't over-think the reasons why she didn't outright reject you dithered about it.  Looking from her side of it there are a million reasons why she might have done it that way. Very few of those reason reflect badly on you.

Now it's time to move on.

In the wise words of Hal Evarts: "There's a million miles of sage outside... and millions of cows, and girls"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Blank Panther said:

YES but it's because I've been meaning to watch it all week lol

I might unwrap my Blu-Ray as well tonight :thinking:

4 minutes ago, AJG said:

Watching this new 9-1-1 episode

giphy.gif

Fantastic, yes?

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

Guillermo del Toro sure likes his old movies a lot. And Octavia Spencer sure can do a feature-length sassy black woman act. 

Yeah this did very little for me. Ironically the only interesting stuff concerns Shannon's internal crisis, he becomes an actual character in those moments while everyone else, even when they're being oppressed, always feel like they're stuck in artificial designated roles. And I guess I appreciate the sexual frankness, framed against both the "fairy tale" air of the movie itself and the general sexlessness of today's cinema in general. But overall it's extremely safe in its pandering and never got through to me for longer than an occasional isolated moment. Mostly just made me want to go watch some of those black-and-white musicals they're constantly watching on TV. (And by the way, I can't take seriously anyone who was bitching about La La Land jerking off Hollywood with nostalgic references last year but is now celebrating this movie, because it's more shallow and shameless about it than any awards contender in years.) 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Blank Panther said:

YOU'RE GREAT BLANK :hug:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Guillermo del Toro sure likes his old movies a lot. And Octavia Spencer sure can do a feature-length sassy black woman act. 

Yeah this did very little for me. Ironically the only interesting stuff concerns Shannon's internal crisis, he becomes an actual character in those moments while everyone else, even when they're being oppressed, always feel like they're stuck in artificial designated roles. And I guess I appreciate the sexual frankness, framed against both the "fairy tale" air of the movie itself and the general sexlessness of today's cinema in general. But overall it's extremely safe in its pandering and never got through to me for longer than an occasional isolated moment. Mostly just made me want to go watch some of those black-and-white musicals they're constantly watching on TV. (And by the way, I can't take seriously anyone who was bitching about La La Land jerking off Hollywood with nostalgic references last year but is now celebrating this movie, because it's more shallow and shameless about it than any awards contender in years.) 

I disagree most emphatically with these particular words. Never once doubted its sincerity even if I don't love it as much as some.

(LLL is bleh not because it tried to be a love letter to old Hollywood, but that it did it with such a misguided gaze and effort. Stick LLL in an earlier era and I'd bitch less.)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Jake brings the good takes

13 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Not like this Jake :sadno: 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Telehilation said:

I disagree most emphatically with these particular words. Never once doubted its sincerity even if I don't love it as much as some.

(LLL is bleh not because it tried to be a love letter to old Hollywood, but that it did it with such a misguided gaze and effort. Stick LLL in an earlier era and I'd bitch less.)

Oh I absolutely don't doubt its sincerity. That's my problem - it's so sincere that it's completely unchallenging. It very sincerely panders to the sensibilities of all those inclined to side with its oppressed heroes. Clearly it worked for many but for me GDT takes it way too far. 

As for LLL, I think its references served a purpose beyond the surface, since it was in no small part about the legacy of Hollywood affecting and weighing on the people trying to make a living in it today. And I'd argue its overall attitude was less "love letter" and more ambivalent than it still gets credit for. (Yes, I know we're not on the same page here.) In Shape all the old-movie shoutouts are basically just there because del Toro loves old movies and is again pandering to everyone else who does. It felt more like Hugo to me, in which I also didn't really feel any magic. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

Oh I absolutely don't doubt its sincerity. That's my problem - it's so sincere that it's completely unchallenging. It very sincerely panders to the sensibilities of all those inclined to side with its oppressed heroes. Clearly it worked for many but for me GDT takes it way too far. 

...In Shape all the old-movie shoutouts are basically just there because del Toro loves old movies and is again pandering to everyone else who does. It felt more like Hugo to me, in which I also didn't really feel any magic. 

"Pandering" to me implies a calculated gesture lacking in sincerity. That's why I objected to the word. I think Del Toro is in love with everything he puts up there, for better or worse. I don't think it's calculated at all. Of course, you're right that you either are swept away with it or you aren't.

2 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I was just thinking the other day that Del Toro love is monster so much that it made the villains just ridiculous over the top caricature.

• Like 1