Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

17 minutes ago, The Mad Panda said:

So far I've narrowed down the graduate schools I'll apply to next semester to 19.

7 of them are California Schools (3 around LA, 2 closer to SF, 1 closer to SD, and 1 elsewhere)

You know you want to. Embrace it. 

(where "elsewhere"?)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ethan Hunt said:

(Love Me Like You Do should've won though but people are stupid)

I'm wicked embarrassed to actually agree with Ethan on this one. (In my defense, that was also a really weak year for original songs.)

1 minute ago, Telehilation said:

You know you want to. Embrace it. 

(where "elsewhere"?)

UC-Santa Barbara

Whats also nice is I’m more interested in the behavioral sciences, mental health and neuroeconomics aspect of Economics.  A lot of the best behavioral and experimental econ schools are in California.

Plus, warm weather without the southern culture sounds really nice.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

I'm wicked embarrassed to actually agree with Ethan on this one. (In my defense, that was also a really weak year for original songs.)

Love Me Like You Do is one of the best songs of the decade perfect pop jam

28 minutes ago, The Mad Panda said:

UC-Santa Barbara

Whats also nice is I’m more interested in the behavioral sciences, mental health and neuroeconomics aspect of Economics.  A lot of the best behavioral and experimental econ schools are in California.

Plus, warm weather without the southern culture sounds really nice.

Eh, Santa Barbara is basically LA. Or at least SoCal. 

• Like 1

Just now, Telehilation said:

Eh, Santa Barbara is basically LA. Or at least SoCal. 

Hm, I guess that’s 4 LA area schools then and 5 SoCal schools.  I mean I still need to eliminate like 5 from my list, but the only two cal schools I’m considering taking off are Berkeley and Claremont (However Claremont is a good safety and berkeley has a fantastic program)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Mad Panda said:

Hm, I guess that’s 4 LA area schools then and 5 SoCal schools.  I mean I still need to eliminate like 5 from my list, but the only two cal schools I’m considering taking off are Berkeley and Claremont (However Claremont is a good safety and berkeley has a fantastic program)

The Bay Area is awesome too. Might have trouble finding a cheap-ish place to live though. I guess with Claremont and Berkeley you could have options in Oakland or Richmond or the further East Bay. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Telehilation said:

The Bay Area is awesome too. Might have trouble finding a cheap-ish place to live though. I guess with Claremont and Berkeley you could have options in Oakland or Richmond or the further East Bay. 

The perks of PhD programs are they'll pay for your tuition and give you a stipend (if you get in).  The stipend isn't much though, which would make the Bay area more expensive compared to SoCal options (which are all outside of LA really).

I'm also not sure the pricing for on campus apartment living and such for students at the universities.  That's something I'd have to look into when I know which programs I actually get into.  Stanford provides a lot more funding being private, but then just getting in there is a longshot no matter how good of a CV you have.

• Like 1