Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

Watching The Week Of on Netflix. This does not feel like a comedy movie at all. 30 minutes in and it is basically a bad character study of families preparing for a wedding. Unlike Sandler's previous Netflix movies, it's not offensive or repulsive so definitely a step up.

Eurovision and the Super bowl are lightweight

More than one billion fans tuned in to watch the final of the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil™, with the competition reaching a global in-home television audience of 3.2 billion people

3 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Eurovision and the Super bowl are lightweight

More than one billion fans tuned in to watch the final of the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil™, with the competition reaching a global in-home television audience of 3.2 billion people

So 1.16A?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Seeing as how we’re getting 4 fucking Avatar sequels, I’m pretty sure that’s exactly what Fox and Cameron think of people. 

Chances are on this site that you're one of those who watch every comic book film, kind of odd to imply 4 is too many.

Nothing but good news :

Cannes: 5 Signs of a Festival in Decline

Good ridance.

I knew the selection this year would backfire in their stupid face.

From a lack of star power to a noticeable dearth of the usual promotional billboards along the Croisette, the world's most prestigious film fest looked — and felt — much different this year.

The Cannes Film Festival did its best to put on a show for its 71st edition, but the mood along the Croisette this year was subdued. It wasn’t just the shadow of disgraced film mogul Harvey Weinstein casting a pale over the proceedings. Everywhere you looked, there were clear signs that the old thrill is gone.

Stars

Pity the paparazzi. Cannes celeb-packed red carpets were barren this year despite the VIP-heavy jury (president Cate Blanchett, jury member Kristen Stewart) as the festival went for smaller, international fare with zero A-listers. (The biggest star offering — Jessica Chastain, Marion Cotillard, Penelope Cruz, Fan Bingbing and Lupita Nyong’o — was actually at a THR-sponsored event for FilmNation’s as-yet-unmade spy thriller 355).

Solo'

The festival once was able to rely on a few big U.S. tentpoles — Shrek, The Da Vinci Code, Ocean’s Thirteen — that would use Cannes for their world premieres, sparking interest in the festival from outside the rarified art house sphere. This year, Solo: A Star Wars Story is the lone studio title at the Palais and, in a snub to Cannes’ global importance, it wasn’t even a world premiere, since Solo did a gala red carpet in L.A. a week before.

Signage

The clearest sign of Cannes decline is the lack. Of signs, that is. Billboards promoting upcoming studio titles and big-budget indie fare used to occupy every available space on the Croisette skyline. The front of the Majestic hotel was plastered with posters, and the lawn of the Grand Hotel was always chock-a-block with pavilions promoting obscure film financiers, tech companies or high-end jewelers. This year, it was lots of visible green grass, bare walls and, except for a smattering of posters promoting Solo along the Croisette, signage-free streets.

Shindigs

Events — from afternoon cocktails on Carlton Beach to swanky midnight-till-6 a.m. villa bashes — are what makes Cannes Cannes. Not this year. Organizers reported a sharp decline in functions and festivities, evidenced by the empty tents along the beach and the odd sight of attendees looking fairly well-rested on day 4. “I’m having a great Cannes, but in terms of being out at night or parties, it’s just nothing,” said one PR rep.
Edited by The Futurist

6 hours ago, elcaballero said:

Got my Bachelor's degree today!

6 hours ago, Blankments said:

I need to go to bed because I'm leaving for canada in seven hours, but hey, today I got my Bachelor’s degree in Cinema & Photography and Theater, so that’s pretty awesome.

Congratulations!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1