Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 11:50 PM, mathemetrics said:

I wonder if it would be healthier to have mini-mart malt liquor always available on the counter, or, have to make a mission to get them individually.

Drinking soda everyday is just as non-nutritious and presents health challenges.  That is not what worries me though.  It is those little gnats or mosquitos that fly by you when you are sitting in the dark that really trip me out.  It is like you have to dress like an eskimo with ear buds and have room to fit a straw through so you can drink your beverage and focus on something.

Weird, I didnt do any of the regular patriotism festivities on the fourth.  I celebrated a friend’s birthday and that was it.  I didn’t even acknowledge it was a holiday to anyone.

It wasn’t entirely intentional, I guess I’m disillusioned with the US to the point that it feels almost like the current administration is ripping away any identification I had as an American to the point where it just feels like I live here.

• Like 2

Just now, Pandamia! said:

Weird, I didnt do any of the regular patriotism festivities on the fourth.  I celebrated a friend’s birthday and that was it.  I didn’t even acknowledge it was a holiday to anyone.

It wasn’t entirely intentional, I guess I’m disillusioned with the US to the point that it feels almost like the current administration is ripping away any identification I had as an American to the point where it just feels like I live here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pandamia! said:

I know what you mean. I was so discouraged last night, I didn't even consider partaking in the party. I even told someone there that I wasn't really proud to celebrate the 4th of July, I was just there for the company. It was sad. 

• Like 1

I was reminded of that Chris Rock tweet - I'm sure the slaves enjoyed the fireworks.

America has never been great to people like me so I'm glad more people are going "What are we REALLY celebrating here?" on the 4th as of late.

• Like 1

• Community Manager

My parents and I spent July 4th together. We had hamburgers and shrimp and french fries and tres leches cake. We didn't get to enjoy fireworks due to the rain but we live near enough a Six Flags they've been going on all week.

And yet somehow the GOP thinks we didn't assimilate enough as a Hispanic family. I guess it's the tres leches cake that gives us away.

• Like 2

It sucks to hear so many folks didn't enjoy the 4th...it's one of my favorite holidays and the kids and parents here have fun holiday traditions...

We start with watching the Coney Island Hot Dog eating contest (Men's and Women's) - I mean, what is more American that gorging on more food than could possibly fit in a stomach?  Plus, it's hot dogs - like the most American of junk proteins:).

Then, we enjoy an afternoon at the neighborhood pool.  So many people from so many backgrounds who always bring tons of rafts and pool toys to share and always are in a good mood to talk and interact (it's nice b/c it's one of the few days you'll see both parents with kids, since no one's working).

Then, we follow it up with hot dogs (did I mention how American this is - and we feel like honoring the contest:)), coleslaw and berries for dinner before sitting down to watch the Capitol 4th on PBS.  It's always got diverse acts and a note of honoring the military on this special day...

And finally, we watch some crazy neighbors light some fireworks live after the Capitol 4th (seems they wait til they've seen the tv fireworks).

It's such a nice, laidback, and family focused day, and it celebrates so many things that speak summer - the BBQ and hot dogs, the heat and the pool, fireworks and concerts, etc...and unlike other family focused days like Thanksgiving, there's no real work for the chef today:)...

• Like 1

leave no trace is great. even ben foster did not annoy me, but the girl who plays his daughter is the star wow she's an amazing find like jlaw in winter's bone though a 180 performance from that. debra granik should just pick all of our future leading ladies. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

leave no trace is great. even ben foster did not annoy me, but the girl who plays his daughter is the star wow she's an amazing find like jlaw in winter's bone though a 180 performance from that. debra granik should just pick all of our future leading ladies. 

Sorry buddy, she's been taken by Taika.

15 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Sorry buddy, she's been taken by Taika.

taika's another star maker her and the wilderpeople boy will be the new katherine hepburn and cary grant by the time they're 20.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Morieris said:

I was reminded of that Chris Rock tweet - I'm sure the slaves enjoyed the fireworks.

America has never been great to people like me so I'm glad more people are going "What are we REALLY celebrating here?" on the 4th as of late.

Yeah, I really did some reflecting on it.  It was more of a habit to celebrate the day because everyone celebrates it.  

But if you say “I’m proud to be an American” does it mean proud currently, or proud from a heritage point of view are you saying proud view.

Im certainly not proud of my countries direction right now, so I can’t say “despite our past mistakes, I’m proud to be in my country for what it is now.”

And America’s background has too many black spots for me to even pretend I’m proud of our heritage.  Even in a moment in history where we were in the most right (WW2), we were still isolationist for the first half out of self-interest allowing the Germans to do more damage, we still unapologetically nuked 2 cities of civilians to force unconditional Japanese surrender and we still put the Japanese in internment camps.

While, i wouldn’t say America’s past is all bad.  We have bright spots, we certainly have never been heroes in history or any kind of city on a hill or any sort of pioneers of freedom.  We never have really been a land of opportunity, as that opportunity has often only been given to a privileged few.  

I also can’t say I’m proud of what America stands for, because the US has rarely been about liberty and justice for all, but liberty and justice for a privileged class.

The US isn’t nearly the greatest country in the world and it never has been.  And I don’t think the country as a whole is worth celebrating.

Even if you say the 4th of July is about celebrating our independence from the UK, could I even consider that entirely a good thing?  The UK is also flawed, true, but are we really any better than them?  I mean the entire war we fought wasn’t really about freedom, it was pretty much a group of radicals who were mad they had to pay taxes they didn’t vote for.

Ill honor/respect our individual military troops, because they conducting a service (even though I find our overall worship of war and the military disturbing).  I’ll acknowledge there are definitely some bright spots worth celebrating in our country.  

After thinking about it, I don’t think our country as a whole is worthy of fireworks celebrating it.

Edited by Pandamia!

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

It sucks to hear so many folks didn't enjoy the 4th...it's one of my favorite holidays and the kids and parents here have fun holiday traditions...

We start with watching the Coney Island Hot Dog eating contest (Men's and Women's) - I mean, what is more American that gorging on more food than could possibly fit in a stomach?  Plus, it's hot dogs - like the most American of junk proteins:).

Then, we enjoy an afternoon at the neighborhood pool.  So many people from so many backgrounds who always bring tons of rafts and pool toys to share and always are in a good mood to talk and interact (it's nice b/c it's one of the few days you'll see both parents with kids, since no one's working).

Then, we follow it up with hot dogs (did I mention how American this is - and we feel like honoring the contest:)), coleslaw and berries for dinner before sitting down to watch the Capitol 4th on PBS.  It's always got diverse acts and a note of honoring the military on this special day...

And finally, we watch some crazy neighbors light some fireworks live after the Capitol 4th (seems they wait til they've seen the tv fireworks).

It's such a nice, laidback, and family focused day, and it celebrates so many things that speak summer - the BBQ and hot dogs, the heat and the pool, fireworks and concerts, etc...and unlike other family focused days like Thanksgiving, there's no real work for the chef today:)...

I don’t think it’s the community aspects people aren’t enjoying.

It’s sitting back and reflecting on what we’re actually celebrating with the 4th.  IMO, id probably rank it as our most hollow holiday, even moreso than Valentines Day or Halloween.

• Like 2