Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

Finally got around to True Detective finale. Don't know if it made this season my favorite of the three - need to chew on how it reframes some plotting/character moments in the early episodes - but as far as depth and emotional resonance and dramatic use of the passage of time there's no contest. All involved can be proud of this.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Finally got around to True Detective finale. Don't know if it made this season my favorite of the three - need to chew on how it reframes some plotting/character moments in the early episodes - but as far as depth and emotional resonance and dramatic use of the passage of time there's no contest. All involved can be proud of this.

I personally think it went on a scene too long.

Spoiler

The final flashback scene with Ali and Ejogo could have slid in a little earlier in the episode. I thought it would have been a nice mirroring for the episode to end with the two grandkids riding together on bikes while Ali and his family watched from the porch.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

Fake news much? 

um it got 69% rotten tomato score with a 6.1 rating and 60% on meta critic...

You can say it got decent reviews.

Plus the RT audience score has recovered but it is rather low and the google score is 82% which is rather low considering everything gets over 90%. 

So to me it was a decently reviewed movie, with a rather mixed reception that was trolled by sexists on RT. 

lol what's the difference between well-reviewed or decently-reviewed? Good god it's like putting down non-blockbuster movies is how you get off or something man.

13 minutes ago, Premium George said:

Most probably yes. But I think there are more important things then that. 

It was meant ~ ironical, as I was astonished to read such kind of headlines (concern about sport event taking place or not) by news outlets appearing via Google news. Hence why I used the bold font. I guess I should have added [sarcasm] or whatever to show it more clearly.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

It was meant ~ ironical, as I was astonished to read such kind of headlines (concern about sport event taking place or not) by news outlets appearing via Google news. Hence why I used the bold font. I guess I should have added [sarcasm] or whatever to show it more clearly.

Honestly, Twitter on both sides is right now fucked up. You lose sense of everything, right, wrong, common sense. I should have thought that a german would not care about cricket.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Premium George said:

would not care about cricket.

pssst, I do not even know what cricket really is, beside its played with a kind of short paddle and a ball (that I do only know bcs having seen pictures whilst reading newspapers written in English over the years) 😉

Its not that I am not interested bcs I am German, I am not interested in watching sport mostly.

In my youth I played basketball, handball, soccer, ice hockey,.... but not like in a sports club, we played it on the streets (yes including ice hockey, take a cul-de-sac spread lots of water in the winter over a part of it...), only following roughly the rules = I liked doing it, I liked watching friends doing it, but not watching people I do not know doing it, especially as they seem to take it too seriously, it does not look like its really fun anymore.

Like to 'play foul' per tickling a friend to steel the ball....

• Like 1

India already refuses to play Pakistan in bilateral series so only in major tournaments do they play each other. Would be a financial disaster for the World Cup if India pulls out but I don't think they will.

Anyways they're playing Australia today actually so should be exciting 

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr

31 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

This is actually a pretty good explanation of cricket. Obviously focused on explaining it to Americans. 

- snip -

Thank you for that. Not my thing at all.

I just realised I missed one point:

I do not like sport games where people can not have full body contact.

Means I do not like all games that have any form of fence between the teams (e.g. tennis, volley ball,...), or where players have to maintain certain positions.

To stay with the mentioned example: all games where tickling a friend is not possible.

I like it for the fun doing something with friends in a more 'rough' way than e.g. to go for a pizza in a restaurant. What can also be fun if eating a pizza at home, if wrangling bodily / wrestle for the last piece (no punches...) 😉

9 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

I personally think it went on a scene too long.

Reveal hidden contents

Fair, but I think it was more poignant to

Spoiler

first see the family together and then the conversation without which none of them would be there. And the kids on bikes would have been too neat and obvious an image to end it on, imo, even though Pizzolatto does a lot of obvious things here as it is.