Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

3 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

WB's streaming already got a leg up on Disney+ lol

If it absorbs HBO Go it's probably gonna be bigger than Disney+, but honestly all these streaming services miss the point of what made Netflix work at all: consolidation of all the big cable content. Now streaming just sounds like cable 2.0; like what's the NBC streaming service gonna have outside of The Office - which most people already saw through netflix?

Just now, TMP said:

If it absorbs HBO Go it's probably gonna be bigger than Disney+, but honestly all these streaming services miss the point of what made Netflix work at all: consolidation of all the big cable content. Now streaming just sounds like cable 2.0; like what's the NBC streaming service gonna have outside of The Office - which most people already saw through netflix?

Kindergarten Cop: The Series

• Sad 1

Just now, TMP said:

I am not sure they miss the point and do not know well what explained Netflix success, low hassle, all platform, lot of already moneytised studio content at a low price (that cannot really work at their full price). Shifting it into Cable 2.0 is probably the point, the believe that there is much more money in Cable 2.0 than on Netflix 1.0.

TV is an over 265+ billion a year industry going toward 300b, Netflix is a 15 billion industry, studio would probably become in really big trouble if television became a $17 month by family model when the American Cable TV average bill was over $100 a month in 2016, I imagine studio want the next model to be at least half of that, getting $50 box by family if not the same $100.

Now that Netflix used people a $17 a month, can you start with a consolidated MPAA offer at $70 a month and get people to agree with it to bundle all content together ? It is just too expensive to get full ESPN in your package if you do not want it and too much value for sport watch to not charge a lot for it, it will end up cable like.

Has for NBC streaming, I imagine it could end up having a lot of Universal products (law and orders, monk, suits, some fasts and furious/despicable me series) and new show, maybe Unirversal would have released Russian Doll on their platform instead of making it for Netflix.

That was a very regulated industry with regulation and having to offer the show to everyone and so on, 

Just now, filmlover said:

There's so many streaming services in development I can't keep up. Either way, Disney+ is the only one I can actually see making it because, ya know, Disney.

I feel like the Warner Bros. streaming service will do well too. HBO is supposed to be the centerpiece, which is already a good sign, and they're also likely gonna have a bunch of DC and Potter shows.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I am not sure they miss the point and do not know well what explained Netflix success, low hassle, all platform, lot of already moneytised studio content at a low price (that cannot really work at their full price). Shifting it into Cable 2.0 is probably the point, the believe that there is much more money in Cable 2.0 than on Netflix 1.0.

TV is an over 265+ billion a year industry going toward 300b, Netflix is a 15 billion industry, studio would probably become in really big trouble if television became a $17 month by family model when the American Cable TV average bill was over $100 a month in 2016, I imagine studio want the next model to be at least half of that, getting $50 box by family if not the same $100.

Now that Netflix used people a $17 a month, can you start with a consolidated MPAA offer at $70 a month and get people to agree with it to bundle all content together ? It is just too expensive to get full ESPN in your package if you do not want it and too much value for sport watch to not charge a lot for it, it will end up cable like.

Has for NBC streaming, I imagine it could end up having a lot of Universal products (law and orders, monk, suits, some fasts and furious/despicable me series) and new show, maybe Unirversal would have released Russian Doll on their platform instead of making it for Netflix.

That was a very regulated industry with regulation and having to offer the show to everyone and so on, 

This is assuming that people will want to shell out a lot of cash for things that they would have gotten previously with their monthly Netflix subscription. Piracy went down with Netflix, since getting content was a lot easier/more convenient; by diversifying the content across several services, that USP is gone.

1 minute ago, CoolEric258 said:

I feel like the Warner Bros. streaming service will do well too. HBO is supposed to be the centerpiece, which is already a good sign, and they're also likely gonna have a bunch of DC and Potter shows.

I assume the DC streaming service currently available will be consolidated into it when it goes live.

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

This is assuming that people will want to shell out a lot of cash for things that they would have gotten previously with their monthly Netflix subscription. Piracy went down with Netflix, since getting content was a lot easier/more convenient; by diversifying the content across several services, that USP is gone.

Maybe, maybe not, but it is worth trying, going from over $100 a month to under $20 with all the destruction in content creation that come with it, is not something we can expect company to do by choice.

Once you get live sports into it, I am really not sure how it does not look exactly like sports 2.0, do you suggest that for less than what ESPN did cost or HBO individually studio should offer ESPN + every content that exist at a Netflix type of pricepoint ? For not already moneytised content ?

It is dangerous to look at it to some extreme, like saying that with spotify and youtube playing on demand music for free, piracy went down and that a model that people should follow.

I suspect one day that content will be centralized by one service (like the Channels you can add to your amazon prime account) and we will get exactly to what cable was, for the same reason and force that made cable happen like it was in the first place.