Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

16 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I can't say I've ever had projection problems at the movies. Usually when I have problems with the lighting it's entirely related to the movie/filmmaking choices itself (looking at you as a recent example, Godzilla: King of the Monsters).

You are really lucky (or never had good projection to compare with ?), you never had a movie projection that didn't masked the screen to the movie correct aspect ratio ? Non fluid or dark 3d ? (even not fully 100% brightness level to save money on 2D ?)

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

You are really lucky (or never had good projection to compare with ?), you never had a movie projection that didn't masked the screen to the movie correct aspect ratio ? Non fluid or dark 3d ? (even not fully 100% brightness level to save money on 2D ?)

Often I see movies in auditoriums that have black bars on the top and bottom for 2.35 movies but that's just because of how the screen itself was designed. I haven't seen a 3D movie in years so I can't say about that.

Just now, filmlover said:

Often I see movies in auditoriums that have black bars on the top and bottom for 2.35 movies but that's just because of how the screen itself was designed. I haven't seen a 3D movie in years so I can't say about that.

Oh god, yeah, many theaters don't mask correctly anymore. Makes it feel like you're just watching a giant plasma screen. 

1 minute ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Oh god, yeah, many theaters don't mask correctly anymore. Makes it feel like you're just watching a giant plasma screen. 

I mean that's where we're headed. :lol: I really don't mind it much though, seeing the movie itself is what I'm there for.

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Black bar like on your tv, that a perfect example of a terrible projection and probably only by lazyness of the staff and something that would be really easy for theater chain to get right (could even be electronic mask with the good setting be on the metadata of the digital movie file I would imagine)

I often have bad masking, i.e. the movie start part of the imagine is projected on the masking ratio black drape still adjusted of the movie of the week before, have to go tell the staff for them to adjust it.... or very often they are too lazy to even try and just let terrible TV like black bar on the screen.

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I mean that's where we're headed. :lol: I really don't mind it much though, seeing the movie itself is what I'm there for.

After going to a movie theater that do it right, the immersion is so much better.

Be honest watching 4:3 stuff on your widescreen TV bother you 0 ?

20 minutes ago, #ED said:

Yanks in 6. -_-

I barely watch baseball anymore. I grew up a Yankee fan.

The season is ridiculously long. Not much time. Football, however...

J-E-T-S 

never forget 2017. Fuck da Yankees 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Black bar like on your tv, that a perfect example of a terrible projection and probably only by lazyness of the staff and something that would be really easy for theater chain to get right (could even be electronic mask with the good setting be on the metadata of the digital movie file I would imagine)

I often have bad masking, i.e. the movie start part of the imagine is projected on the masking ratio black drape still adjusted of the movie of the week before, have to go tell the staff for them to adjust it.... or very often they are too lazy to even try and just let terrible TV like black bar on the screen.

After going to a movie theater that do it right, the immersion is so much better.

9 times out of 10 it's because that is how the screen itself is designed (theater I frequent even remodeled some of the screens in the auditoriums so they look like a giant square when they were remodeling their seating to lounger chairs). If that's how the screen was designed there isn't anything that can be done about it, really.

Edited by filmlover

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

9 times out of 10 it's because that is how the screen itself is designed (theater I frequent even remodeled some of the screens in the auditoriums so they look like a giant square when they were remodeling their seating to lounger chairs). If that's how the screen was designed there isn't anything that can be done about it, really.

I do not get what you mean ?, a screen cannot be designed to not have black bar (what screen will not have giant black bar showing one day Dolan Mommy or Casablanca and Lawrence of Arabia the next day.

You always need an external to the screen masking system like this, and you can always install one to do this, just take a couple of minute for someone to mask it correctly everytime you change the movie projected:

Edited by Barnack

9 minutes ago, Barnack said:

OAR forever and always, amen.

====

I watched letterboxed vids on my 4:3 TV all my life, seeing pillarbox vids on widescreen TVs bothers me exactly zero, yes.

Unless you are talking about "stretching"/"zooming" 4:3 content to fit a 16:9 screen.  Then yes, that bothers me greatly.  Original Aspect Ratio always.

• Like 1

Just now, Barnack said:

I do not get what you mean ?, a screen cannot be designed to not have black bar.

You need an external to the screen masking system like this, and you can always easily install a masking system to do this, just take a couple of minute for someone to mask it correctly everytime you change the movie projected:

What I mean is that some of the auditorium screens are like big TV screens where there's no masking/curtains at all anymore. It's just what some theaters (at least around here) are doing to replace their too-old screens these days.

Just now, Porthos said:

I watched letterboxed vids on my 4:3 TV all my life, seeing pillarbox vids on widescreen TVs bothers me exactly zero, yes.

You see no immersion difference between content matching exactly the screen in a movie theater than with giant black bar ? You would not prefer your tv to be 4:3 when watching a 4:3 movie ?

Well there were people that didn't see any flickering with CRT screen below 85 hz when most saw it under 85 and had an hard time below 75... so.

You see no immersion difference between content matching exactly the screen in a movie theater than with giant black bar ? You would not prefer your tv to be 4:3 when watching a 4:3 movie ?

Movie theaters and TVs are different because movie screens can be adjusted through various means.  But with most TVs that's simply not an option.

So, sure, adjust movie screens to fit the content, however that needs to be done. I agree with you there.  But since you asked about TV in particular, it doesn't bother me one whit in that medium.

But demanding widescreen content on 4:3 TVs for around 15 to 20s years of my life conditioned me to think of it as normal experience.  In fact, I am irritated when I don't have pillar box options for 4:3 content on widescreen delivery channels.

As I said though, I am something of an OAR zealot.  It's why I prefer movie theaters to adjust their screens (because they can) and prefer cable/streaming outfits to leave well enough alone (because they don't know my TV/monitor situation).

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

But demanding widescreen content on 4:3 TVs for around 15 to 20s years of my life conditioned me to think of it as normal experience.  In fact, I am irritated when I don't have pillar box options for 4:3 content on widescreen delivery channels.

As I said though, I am something of an OAR zealot.

Common I am not talking about not being in OAR, I am talking about watching 4:3 content on a 4:3 tv vs a 16:9 tv, do you not prefer 16:9 content on you widescreen than on your previous 4:3 models ?

Common I am not talking about not being in OAR, I am talking about watching 4:3 content on a 4:3 tv vs a 16:9 tv, do you not prefer 16:9 content on you widescreen than on your previous 4:3 models ?

That's not what you asked though.  You asked:

26 minutes ago, Barnack said:

and followed up with

12 minutes ago, Barnack said:

You would not prefer your tv to be 4:3 when watching a 4:3 movie ?

When it comes to watching TV, doesn't bother me in the slightest.  Honest. :)

45 minutes ago, filmlover said:

But it's a another subtle way that theaters don't distinguish between a home viewing experience. Like, build your screens with the right fucking ratio, and put some damn curtains in place! It's not that hard.

Just now, Barnack said:

Well if you would prefer watching 4:3 on a 4:3 tv and 16:9 on a 16:9 tv it is because black bar are bothering you no ?

I didn't say I did.  

When it comes to preference my preference for OAR outweighs literally everything else. I really am not bothered by black bars on a TV.  

Can't put it anymore simply than that.