Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

can any non-Beatles people get Yesterday higher on this list and above Greta's 83%?

90 - It: Chapter Two
87 - Pet Sematary
87 - Rocketman
87 - Child's Play
87 - Annabelle Comes Home
86 - Captive State
86 - Dumbo
86 - Crawl
83 - Late Night
83 - Jojo Rabbit
83 - Cold Pursuit

83 - Yesterday

83 - Greta

my signature is going to be doomed if Yesterday falls at a B minus or below, and I am halfway through the movie.

is Yesterday a bigger fan favorite than all these horror movies ^^

I can't tell if I though Watchmen was brilliant or a disaster. It seems to have been a bit of both? Unbelievably watchable from a direction and world-building and performance standpoint, but I'm not sure I see what point they're trying to make yet. The point of Watchmen the comic is that superheroes as a concept are pretty bad and brutal but it seems like the point of this show so far is that cops are....good? And also some Westworld mystery box stuff?

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

but I'm not sure I see what point they're trying to make yet.

but it seems like the point of this show so far is that cops are....good? And also some Westworld mystery box stuff?

Since this is a Lindleof show I highly advise not trying to discern its point/core theme from the first episode

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Since this is a Lindleof show I highly advise not trying to discern its point/core theme from the first episode

Probably a good point. I didn't watch the Leftovers or past the first two seasons of Lost so I am no expert *ducks*

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

Probably a good point. I didn't watch the Leftovers or past the first two seasons of Lost so I am no expert *ducks*

Fair enough. The Leftovers in particular took 3/4 of the first season to build up steam and then once it did it hurtled like a train.

For what it's worth I think the show was trying to make us raise an eyebrow/feel a little put off by how eager and happy the cops are

Spoiler

when they get the 24 hour unlocking of their firearms.

• Like 1

I've heard such amazing things about the Leftovers over the past year or two but the word on the first season was so crappy I never got into it at the time, which in retrospect was a mistake. Especially since you can say smostly the same for Succession, which is definitely the best show on television. 

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I've heard such amazing things about the Leftovers over the past year or two but the word on the first season was so crappy I never got into it at the time, which in retrospect was a mistake. Especially since you can say smostly the same for Succession, which is definitely the best show on television. 

The first season is definitely the least good, in part because it leans a bit too hard into the melodrama of the novel. The final three episodes are great and pretty much turned the season into a pretty good one (the usual bit about how sticking the landing cures ills). Once the show was freed of the novel and pretty much did its own thing it got amazing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

1 hour ago, 4815162342 said:

The first season is definitely the least good, in part because it leans a bit too hard into the melodrama of the novel. The final three episodes are great and pretty much turned the season into a pretty good one (the usual bit about how sticking the landing cures ills). Once the show was freed of the novel and pretty much did its own thing it got amazing.

But also “least good” is still pretty damn good, overall. 

Also, Justin Theroux and Carrie Coon carried the show while the rest of the elements came together. Even for me, that's what kept me going throughout the entire first season and I'm kinda proud I stuck with it. For a few episodes, it was certainly overwrought melodramatic drama that wallowed in its own misery. But it found its footing and then they decided to get weird by Season 2, and got all the better for it.

But yes, I definitely expect the shoe to drop at some point regarding Watchmen.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

I can't tell if I though Watchmen was brilliant or a disaster. It seems to have been a bit of both? Unbelievably watchable from a direction and world-building and performance standpoint, but I'm not sure I see what point they're trying to make yet. The point of Watchmen the comic is that superheroes as a concept are pretty bad and brutal but it seems like the point of this show so far is that cops are....good? And also some Westworld mystery box stuff?

This could all be misdirection but watching it seems pretty clear the implication is....

Spoiler

Judd is pretty shady as hell, no different than the Comedian in the original comic, so as the layers get peeled back, the police in this alternate reality are far from perfect. The silent film at the beginning seemed to awfully spell it out. Maybe too obvious

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, MrPink said:

This could all be misdirection but watching it seems pretty clear the implication is....

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Your point makes me think we think that we probably haven't seen the last of Don Johnson.   Also given Lindelof's penchant for flashbacks

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DAR said:
  Hide contents

Your point makes me think we think that we probably haven't seen the last of Don Johnson.   Also given Lindelof's penchant for flashbacks

More Watchmen spoilers:

Spoiler

Would certainly welcome that because I thought Don Johnson was great.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 3