Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

This is pretty huge news: https://deadline.com/2019/10/hbo-max-studio-ghibli-streaming-rights-1202762553/

HBO Max has taken the U.S. streaming rights to Japan’s Oscar-winning animation house, Studio Ghibli, which reps the first time the latter’s content has been licensed to a streamer.

The deal with North American distributor GKIDS includes 21 Studio Ghibli movies: Castle in the Sky, The Cat Returns, From Up On Poppy Hill, Howl’s Moving Castle, Kiki’s Delivery Service, My Neighbor Totoro, My Neighbors the Yamadas, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Ocean Waves, Only Yesterday, Pom Poko, Ponyo, Porco Rosso, Princess Mononoke, The Secret World of Arrietty, Spirited Away, The Tale of The Princess Kaguya, Tales From Earthsea, When Marnie Was There, Whisper of the Heart and The Wind Rises (which is launching in the fall of 2020. Most of these titles will be available when HBO Max launches.

First time ever Ghibli will be streaming anywhere.

• Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

Netflix's Top 10 Movies and Shows:

Movies:

1. Bird Box (80M)

2. Murder Mystery (73M)

3. Triple Frontier (52M)

4. The Perfect Date (48M)

5. Tall Girl (41M)

6. The Highwaymen (40M)

7. Secret Obsession (40M)

8. Always Be My Maybe (32M)

9. Otherhood (29M)

10. Fyre (20M)

Shows:

1. Stranger Things (64M)

2. Umbrella Academy (45M)

3. La Casa de Papel (44M)

4. You (40M)

5. Sex Education (40M)

6. Our Planet (33M)

7. Unbelievable (32M)

8. Dead to Me (30M)

9. When They See Us (25M)

10. Elite (20M)

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/17/business/media/netflix-top-ten-movies-tv-shows.html

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grim22 said:

This is pretty huge news: https://deadline.com/2019/10/hbo-max-studio-ghibli-streaming-rights-1202762553/

First time ever Ghibli will be streaming anywhere.

Makes sense. AT&T probably has a good reputation with the anime industry considering that they've owned Crunchyroll since 2014.

Edited by lorddemaxus

7 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Haha. Just because I have a Ghibli character as my icon?

It's HBO Max, so I don't give a fuck. 👀 :ph34r:

Well, I also thought you talked them up a bit as a studio, but that might just be faulty memory.  Never mind then. :)

7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Well, I also thought you talked them up a bit as a studio, but that might just be faulty memory.  Never mind then. :)

Oh no, I definitely talk Studio Ghibli up. I just don't care much about streaming services and I don't plan on using them.

• Like 1

Foot Update:  we got off the ship this morning.  I have been on crutches the last three days because my foot is so swollen I could barely walk.  We are going to dinner in a bit and leaving the crutches in the hotel.  I just have to walk a block.  We will take Lyft or Uber from dinner to our show. And then back to the hotel.  We are here until Sunday.  Hopefully the swelling will go down.  I expected mild swelling with my first steps in 12 weeks but this is swelling as bad as it was right after surgery.  I am not letting this ruin my vacation though.  I really enjoyed the cruise to Bermuda, our new favorite island.  Now we are in New York City.  Swollen painful foot will absolutely not ruin my time here!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, belligerent talking robot said:

I suppose on my score sheet in my signature I would be getting cheap if I didn't assign Doom: Annihilation at least a 91% or greater?  I only gave Halloween (2018) a 90% though....  

watched Cold Pursuit, it was mediocre.

Liam Neeson movies    

70 - Les Miserables

92 - The Haunting

87 - K-19: The Widowmaker

90 - Gangs of New York

92 - Kingdom of Heaven

98 - Batman Begins

87 - Narnia: Lion, Witch, Wardrobe

70 - Narnia: Prince Caspian

87 - Taken

73 - Chloe