Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

49 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I didn't say I did.  

Didn't say I did, I just say that what I asked was indeed pretty much the equivalent (how to know if you have issue with black bar, if you liked 4:3 stuff on your 4:3 tv more than now, it would be a clear sign)

1 minute ago, Plain Old Tele said:

oh damn, that's awesome! congrats!

Man, I was actually starting to think it would never happen.  We we all but assured to come in around five years back after our debut in the USL (Division 2 soccer [more or less {don't ask, it's complicated}]), but we kept getting the rug yanked out from under us as city after city after city got in ahead of our bids.

In a way, we were in a similar situation to the NFL and Los Angeles, as we were always a carrot being dangled but always having something come up.  Not completely analogous, as the NFL was all about moving teams, while this is expansion, but close enough.

I won't bore the board with all of the setbacks and just soap-opera level insanity we've had to deal with this. Instead I'm just gonna celebrate the fact that soon Sacramento is gonna have its second major league level franchise.  That's it's coming to be part of a revitalized section of downtown (that has even a longer history of false starts when it comes to devlopment [here, I'm talking about 30 years of false starts]) is just the icing on the cake.

Just now, Porthos said:

Man, I was actually starting to think it would never happen.  We we all but assured to come in around five years back after our debut in the USL (Division 2 soccer [more or less {don't ask, it's complicated}]), but we kept getting the rug yanked out from under us as city after city after city got in ahead of our bids.

In a way, we were in a similar situation to the NFL and Los Angeles, as we were always a carrot being dangled but always having something come up.  Not completely analogous, as the NFL was all about moving teams, while this is expansion, but close enough.

I won't bore the board with all of the setbacks and just soap-opera level insanity we've had to deal with this. Instead I'm just gonna celebrate the fact that soon Sacramento is gonna have its second major league level franchise.  That's it's coming to be part of a revitalized section of downtown (that has even a longer history of false starts when it comes to devlopment [here, I'm talking about 30 years of false starts]) is just the icing on the cake.

I’m very casual with my MLS rooting interests, so of course I have to root for Sac-Town — along with the Quakes, the Timber, LAFC, and the Galaxy (just cuz they have ZLATAN).

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I’m very casual with my MLS rooting interests, so of course I have to root for Sac-Town — along with the Quakes, the Timber, LAFC, and the Galaxy (just cuz they have ZLATAN).

Plus we got a bitchin' name and crest!  👍

===

Funny story, btw.  A few years back, Sac Republic FC ran an April Fools Day prank saying that the California Quail would be our official team mascot.  Quite elaborate and everything.

Except... Fans decided that would in fact be cool!  And thus the Victory Quail, among other Quail related memes, was born:

3uv7bo4od5o21.jpg

An unofficial nickname for the new stadium 'round these parts of the "QuailYard" has already gotten some steam (see, it's a pun on it being built on an abandoned rail yard and... oh, never mind :lol:).

Just a goofy little thing that happened organically by chance.  So if you hear a reference causally to quails in regards to Sac's team, know it's largely a fan created thing made with love. 

Anyway, glad to have you aboard, casually speaking.

===

Gonna be honest, I'm a very casual soccer fan as well.  But I've been looking forward to this for years and so I'm gonna celebrate for a bit (as seen by avatar change) even if I won't be a die-hard soccer fan. :)

• Haha 1

Doing some checking now that my initial celebration is over, does look like we're not gonna get in until 2022 (the team had been gunning for 2021), so MLS just had to fuck us over one last time.

But that's an admittedly minor quibble.  And, 'sides, give us plenty of time to build a great stadium as well as shore up a team of MLS-caliber players when it does enter the league.  

All in all, great news even if it took a while.

Edited by Porthos

3 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

But it's a another subtle way that theaters don't distinguish between a home viewing experience. Like, build your screens with the right fucking ratio, and put some damn curtains in place! It's not that hard.

Maybe, but I'm in the same boat as Coolio in that that particular battle already seems to have reached its conclusion. Plus I'm just there for the movie anyway. There's too much actual bad shit happening in the world these days for that to bother a total industry outsider like me lol.

The proposed Sacramento stadium looks a bit like the new Western Sydney Stadium.

DSC_2643.jpg

I've been losing interest in the A-League over the last few years.  The A League is adding 2 more teams next year but neither of them are the Wollongong Wolves.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

lmaoooooo

But Darnold is back at least.

We’re gonna beat The Pats on Monday. :) 

8 hours ago, MrPink said:

never forget 2017. Fuck da Yankees 

I forgot already. Baseball seasons last like 2 years.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Oh god, yeah, many theaters don't mask correctly anymore. Makes it feel like you're just watching a giant plasma screen. 

THIS. There are some cinemas I've been to out-of-town that have adopted this practice despite having masked the screen properly in the past. Perhaps not coincidentally, I notice that the projection also looks significantly dimmer at these places. Definitely makes me glad that the cinemas in my area usually get it right.

Edited by Webslinger
  • Like 1