Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Looks good (even without a trailer yet though I'm guessing that'll land tomorrow).

Also the reviews are coming in for Mrs. America and they are raves with Blanchett and Byrne getting most of the praise as expected (although the supporting cast is getting a ton love too - I can see this taking up most of the nominees in Limited/Movie Supporting Actress). 

Still hope Regina King wins limited actress and Toni Collette wins limited supporting, but we'll see

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Bloodshot was the kind of B-movie trash I enjoy. Corny as hell and feels like it was made in the early 2000s or 90s but was also kind of interesting thematically. First proper guilty pleasure of 2020 for me.

I enjoyed the first half enough, but the second half just fell completely flat for me, and despite the action being pretty well-helmed, I was bored out of my mind and legitimately wanted it to end so I could go do homework... that probably tells you enough :lol: 

Caught up on some 2020 releases. Dolittle isn't 'good' but it isn't as bad as people have said. The Hunt had some cool moments but wasn't the gut punch I was hoping for. And Bloodshot ^. Will probably watch Onward next week when it hits D+.

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

For Unbelievable I assume?

She actually still might because it seems most of the contenders in that category are probably gonna end up being from two programs (Mrs. America and Hollywood) and they all end up cancelling each other out. Although there's also Melissa Leo in I Know This Much Is True and Jean Smart fighting for a spot.

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

is Hollywood another ryan murphy "movie stars read their own wikipedia pages back to each other" show like feud was?

Apparently it's an "alternate universe of Golden Age Hollywood" thing that mixes fact and fiction. Like Jack Picking is playing Rock Hudson and some of the big names are playing real people but the Darren Criss/David Corenswet/Jeremy Pope/Laura Harrier/Samara Weaving characters are all fictional.

Just now, WittyUsername said:

Speaking of the Golden Age of Hollywood, isn’t there supposed to be a movie where Ana De Armas plays Marilyn Monroe?

Yeah, Blonde from Andrew Dominik and Netflix coming later this year. Pitt's Plan B is producing so fingers crossed it works out for her.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Apparently it's an "alternate universe of Golden Age Hollywood" thing that mixes fact and fiction. Like Jack Picking is playing Rock Hudson and some of the big names are playing real people but the Darren Criss/David Corenswet/Jeremy Pope/Laura Harrier/Samara Weaving characters are all fictional.

So it's going to be Once Upon, only more annoying? Good to know.

29 minutes ago, filmlover said:

so the anwser is yes.

• Haha 1

Finally started watching Community since it's on Netflix now and I'm having a lot of fun already. One of the very few sitcoms I'm actually enjoying right from the start. Might be the first sitcom I'll actually finish till the end (couldn't finish The Office after Carrell left, Friends and Big Bang Theory are unbearable, How I Met Your Mother is fun but just haven't gotten around to finishing it, and wasn't able to finish S4 of Arrested Development) unless the previous season of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia was its last season.

Also binged season 5 Breaking Bad last week after 2 years of slowly watching the series and I loved it. Rian Johnson's final episode was the best and the ending to the show was somehow both heartbreaking but cathartic. Can't get into El Camino though. It just looks like a bad fan-film.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Can't get into El Camino though. It just looks like a bad fan-film.

El Camino is pretty good. It doesn’t really feel like a movie, so much as an extended episode of the show, but it provides a solid conclusion for Jesse’s story.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

How I Met Your Mother is fun but just haven't gotten around to finishing it,

It went down the toilet in its last two seasons, not even speaking of the infamous finale, so you're not missing much.

Edited by cookie

Yeah, HIMYM is the show I always turn to for a good example of a series where the finale completely ruined a whole show all on its own. Hard to go back and enjoy everything that comes before when you know it's all building up to that shitty conclusion.

Edit: and Dexter but the quality of that show had completely evaporated long before the finale.

Edited by filmlover

It sure seems like television shows with disappointing finales have been a pretty common thing in the 21st century. It’s pretty amazing that Breaking Bad managed to avoid that with a finale that’s widely seen as one of the best episodes of the show.