baumer

Thor Ragnarok (2017)

Grade it  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

This was fun but has way too much questionable CGI and iffy green screen effects. Like the type of CGI that is going to be outdated in a few years (aka The Star Wars prequels). I get that there has to be a lot of visual effects to create all these worlds and creatures but there are points where the effects look downright bad here and after awhile I started to feel detached from the whole thing (especially after seeing something like Blade Runner 2049). Anyway, outside of that, it's easily the best Marvel film of the year and includes a lot of great comedic moments that should please crowds. The score was extremely underwhelming though. It sounded like they were going for synthwave and chose the most generic compositions possible. This is also the second Marvel movie this year to use the music from the trailer in one of the big set pieces (twice here). I dunno man, I had a good time while it lasted but it's not the type of thing that will stay in my head long (saw it last night). I just don't get as hyped for these movies as much as everyone else anymore. And it kind of made me less excited for next years Infinity War (and even less enthused about Justice League)...I hope the CGI looks a lot better there (and no there is no trailer for that after this finishes) and the stakes feel a lot higher. - B

On 11/1/2017 at 3:19 PM, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Also,this is easily the most visually stunning Marvel movie ever.Waititi's does one hell of a job  delivering a movie that just makes you stare at it in awe.Action sequences,especially in the final batle,are great as well and you will definetly not be dissapointed in that aspect.

I strongly disagree with this. I saw it on Sony 4K and it looked worse than Age Of Ultron in many areas....and seeing how this film is filled to the brim with CGI from the opening scene, it's not a good thing. 

I really miss real sets in these big blockbusters. Star Wars at least still blends both visual and practical effects. This looked like it didn't even try. The set piece of Thor and the girl warrior (I don't remember her name) jumping from ships....geez that looked as bad as the final set piece of The Avengers.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Deja23 said:

??

Is this a Dolby Cinema type thing? I saw it in 2D and the effects looked fine for the most part, but maybe the errors are heightened depending on what you view them on. 

No just regular 2D cinema but a Sony 4K presentation. A lot of the effects looked like video game cutaways (especially the backgrounds). None of the planets (outside of Earth) ever felt like real places because of how few actual sets there were. Couldn't stay that invested in the action because of it.

Star Wars looked great beforehand (TLJ trailer). Pacific Rim looked fucking awful though...like a low budget Transformers.

Edited by somebody85
  • Thanks 1

On 31/10/2017 at 9:06 AM, Goffe said:

the worst of them all. fuck this. 3/10

I agree.  I also gave it 3/10.  Just terrible from start until the last ten minutes.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I liked it, but I didn't love it. It's a good film, but far from great. The flashes of brilliance from Waititi and co. were held back by the relentless MCU formula, which tends to sand away any rough edges until you get a film that fits into the mold, more or less.

And the MCU mold isn't good for Thor, as a character. The first film remains the best, not just for the character, but for the series as a whole, because the house style hadn't been established, yet. Branagh could approach the material with the same sense that he did his Shakespeare adaptations, which lends a certain gravitas that fits Thor like a glove. Which isn't to say it's devoid of humor (Shakespeare did dick jokes with abandon, which Branagh clearly understood), but it does mean that the humor is applied appropriately, so as to not undermine the drama.

I feel like Waititi should understand this. And it does seem that Ragnarok has two types of humor at war with each other. One is a wry, intelligent type, similar to what we saw in Hunt for the Wilderpeople, that understands correct timing to work with and enhance the drama and emotion. The other is a relentless slog of bathos quips at every available opportunity. And it's the latter that brings the film down.

I mean, this is a movie where a ton of people died. And not just in a PG-13, hidden from view manner. Hela slaughters the Warriors 3, and it elicits barely any shock. The next jokes coming soon to erase that they even existed. Valkyrie has quite a tragic backstory, but it's barely given any weight. Even Hela has a lot of possible complexity, but they decided to smother that out and let her be a sword-flinging badass. Which is a shame: the reason the first Thor stands so well is how it ties both Thor and Loki together as complex characters; Loki is a bad guy, but he's a bad guy we feel for.

The scene of Skurge holding the line is one of the most iconic in history. It's probably in the top 5 throughout Thor's various runs. But since Skurge himself doesn't get enough fleshing out as a character, it falls flat here.

On one hand, it might be Waititi's worst film. (I admit I haven't seen Eagle vs. Shark or Boy.) On the other, the fact he's so good does mean it's better than anything the MCU has put out at least since 2013, and possibly since the first Thor. That's still only enough for third best superhero film of the year (so far).

So, yeah, I laugh at the jokes, because they are funny and well done, but they don't a good movie make. As with previous MCU entries, there isn't enough that makes it stick as memorable in any way except "It was fun."

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about Black Panther right now. Because it really seems like Marvel is afraid to treat their heroes seriously for even a moment.

3/5

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, somebody85 said:

I strongly disagree with this. I saw it on Sony 4K and it looked worse than Age Of Ultron in many areas....and seeing how this film is filled to the brim with CGI from the opening scene, it's not a good thing. 

I really miss real sets in these big blockbusters. Star Wars at least still blends both visual and practical effects. This looked like it didn't even try. The set piece of Thor and the girl warrior (I don't remember her name) jumping from ships....geez that looked as bad as the final set piece of The Avengers.

Good visuals =/= quality of CGI.

There's a reason Speed Racer is one of my favourite films despite the CG in that movie being about on the same level as a Playstation 2 game. And that's because, while it may not necessarily look real, it still looks visually really damn good. The bright colours and sheen are eye-popping and serve to aid the directorial style/action/tone/everything else, which arguably makes it all the more entertaining.  Which, you know, is ultimately the important thing. Not all movies need to necessarily look real to look good.

And it's the same with Thor Ragnarok. The CGI may not look 100% realistic all of the time, but the designs and colours are all so visually striking and dynamic that you often really don't care. The backgrounds are fresh out of a Jack Kirby comic and work great with the material presented. That's why, visually, people are considering it one of the better Marvel movies. Sure if the style doesn't 100% work for you, you might have problems with the CG and stuff, but that's clearly not the case with most people. Hence why they enjoy it.

Anyway, to get to my own personal review, I loved the hell out of this movie. Seriously, it's nice every once in a while to have a Marvel movie (Hell, to have a modern blockbuster in general) solely concerned with telling a fun story and having a fun time. It doesn't take itself too seriously, yet ends up feeling all the more secure in its own identity for it. Plus it finally feels like Marvel has a good handle on where Thor fits in the MCU and how to utilize him best moving forward. This really does feel like the Captain America: Winter Soldier for the Thor franchise (despite the two having wildly differing tones) both in terms of quality and their place and impact on the wider Marvel Universe. 

Does it have flaws? Sure. The Planet Hulk segment does feel a little disconnected from the wider Ragnarok storyline. And, while I really did like the commentary on the sins of Asgard's colonialist past, I agree that it probably could've used more exploration, especially in the finale. But honestly, these feel like minor flaws at best and barely scratched into my enjoyment of this movie. And while I think I ultimately prefer Wonder Woman just a little out of this year's superhero fare, this movie is a very close second. A

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7/10, B

Entertaining movie, atmosphere-wise it's one of the closest thing to the actual Marvel comics . Which is a god thing but also, perhaps, a weakness. Since, as in the comics, nothing is of any consequence, and a good joke or silliness is always more important than a sensible story. The look is also very close to the comics, with the stylized buildings, popping colours and so on. (The CGI is for the most part really bad but, as mentioned, that fits the look of the comics which didn't get for realistic, either).

As to the characters: Both Hemsworth and Hiddleston feel very at home by now, the rest is of little consequence. I was a bit disappointed in the treatment of the  Grandmaster, Goldblum came close to Tucker's Ruby from 5th element and that's just a waste of a good character, while some of the Elders were sillier than the others, The Grandmaster was always one of the more menacing ones in the comics.

If you're a fan of the comics, you will probably like it - if not, there's nothing here which will make you change your mind.

Edited by IndustriousAngel
  • Like 2

This was a good time and the best of the standalone Thor movies so far (and definitely a big improvement from The Dark World) but there was something about it that I found lacking. Appreciated the more "fun" vibe and the humor lands more often than not but I also thought that undercut moments that feel like they should have a stronger emotional impact. After going at it for nearly 10 years, maybe the MCU just doesn't have that "wow" factor for me anymore. But it's an enjoyable ride and different enough from past MCU outings to stand out, with committed performances from the cast. Chris Hemsworth (giving the character a more relaxed spin than in previous outings), Tom Hiddleston, and Mark Ruffalo are all solid as always, but Tessa Thompson is definitely the MVP. Cate Blanchett makes for one of the MCU's more badass villain, but she needed more screentime (I also wanted more of Jeff Goldblum). This isn't my favorite comic book movie this year (Logan, Wonder Woman, and Spider-Man: Homecoming were all better) but it's an enjoyable outing. B

I really enjoyed it, probably the best Marvel outing since the first GOTG.  It's a fun time and lots of wacky imagery keeps you engaged.

You can definitely notice Taika's presence as a director compared to other Marvel outings that lack the same personality.  He makes the movie work.

My biggest complaint is the plot is rather paper thin, I blame that more on the source material likely being rather dry.  This could have easily been the worst marvel movie with a different director had they gone for a serious telling of this story.  Taika recognizes the cheese in this story and hams it up so it's fun.  

My other complaint is that the crossover movies keep getting more and more convoluted and harder to keep up with.  I had no idea what was going on when the movie started, but it's at least set up in a way that you can ignore the details and just ride along for the fun.  But there were definitely plot points referenced and characters that I felt like the movie assumes you know but you don't (and I've seen all the marvel movies.  I just don't remember all the different plot details)

It's overall fine for this, but I worry about Infinity War and how it could easily become a nightmare of references for those that aren't hardcore fans.

This isn't at the same level as Logan or Wonder Woman by any means, and it doesn't really work as a standalone story.  It ultimately feels like good chips and salsa, easy to consume but won't fill your appetite.  It also doesn't break new grounds or anything, beyond fully embracing the visual comedy that Marvel should ultimately go for.

B+

If we have to rank the comic book movies this year

1. Logan - A

2. Wonder Woman - A

3. Thor: Ragnarok - B+

4. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 - B+

5. Spider-Man: Homecoming - B

6. Lego Batman - B-

Edited by The Pumpkin Spice Panda
  • Like 1

Visually, I thought this looked like ass, probably the worst looking Marvel since.. I can’t remember when? 

Save for a few CGI shots (which I suspect it’s where all the praises are coming from) it all looks so flat and muted. Sakaar, in particular, looks like it was designed to look like a toy set. The Dump seems like they got a bunch of colors that didn’t mesh well, stirred them in a bucket, and spilled the ugly-looking mixture over the picture without any precision or care. Asgard never once looked as majestic as it did in the previous movies. The Earth footage looked like it was filmed by an iPhone or something.

Plus, the camerawork couldn’t be any more standard even if it tried.

• Like 5

I loved every single minute of it. It has flaws ofc, every movie does, but the entertainment factor was way too high for me to give a f*ck. Best Marvel film, it dethrones the first Avengers for me. It deserves all the money.

"I have to get off this planet!"

Thor: Ragnarok finally delivers a good Thor movie, by tearing down all the institutions of what a Thor movie "should" be. Out with the fantasy drama, in with the sci-fi comedy. Waititi proves to be an inspired choice to direct, constantly bringing his more stylish chops to the table, his unique cinematic voice chiming loudly across this cinematic universe. His fast-pace with moments of pathos proves a great fit for the 70s space adventure vibe that oozes throughout the film.

The entire cast is great, but gratefully, Thor is finally the best part of a Thor movie. Hemsworth carries the whole movie thanks to his strong comedic talent, often shown off in Avengers films, but never in his solo films. However, this is a solo movie in the vein of Winter Soldier, becoming a team-up movie quickly through its runtime, Hiddleston returns to greatness as Loki, delivering a truly delectable performance for the first time in five years. Thompson is fun but underused, and Ruffalo is always a welcome presence, especially when we get Hulk as an actual character for once. Oh, and Jeff Goldblum plays Jeff Goldblum!!

The color palette is gorgeous, although the usual Marvel color-grading really does a disservice to how vibrant it can be. There are two cameos in the film that are memorable in the best sense, that make one hope those two actors reunite with Waititi on another, non-franchise film. Mothersbaugh's score lives up to the hype, brilliantly utilizing the soundscape of the movie to complete the genre shift that occurs with this film, while also being incredibly funky.

However, even Waititi can't escape the MCU's biggest problem. Blanchett is totally wasted as Hela, another forgettable Marvel villain. Elba and Urban are usually welcome presences, but they both pad the runtime completely unnecessarily as very dull subplots. Worse though, the entire first act of the film is dedicated to completing dangling plotlines from the previous two Thor movies and Avengers: Age of Ultron, which is fine for continuity's sake, but severely hurts what's being done within this own work.

Worse, Infinity War looms heavily over the climax of this film, which lessens the impact of the core four's character arcs being completed, and leaves one worried for what the forthcoming serious storm will do to the pure exuberance of these characters. Yes, Waititi deconstructs a lot of the MCU's rules and tropes (the heavily marketed Thor/Hulk fight works much better as a deconstruction of their previous interactions than an actual scene), but when there's the typical flaws also permeating the film, it's hard to really say it was all worth it.

However, Thor: Ragnarok's flaws and strengths are inherently tied to each other. It's not a perfect film, but it's a very fun blockbuster that knows exactly what it needs to be, although it doesn't go past that. Waititi proves he can make an enjoyable time no matter the budget, and Hemsworth leads a fantastic ensemble who are game for a wacky time. It may be time to get off the MCU's generic planet and migrate to Waititi's gloriously messy one, but for now, it's nice to see one of the core Marvel heroes finally get a memorable film. These movies can only be as good as they're allowed to be. We may wish we could get more than that, but sadly, Ragnarok may be coming to the interest I personally have in this universe. At least we have Ryan Coogler coming up, right? B+

After two solo installments that were diverting but too self-serious, director Taika Waititi reinvents the Thor franchise in grand and massively entertaining style with Ragnarok. Although the film does advance the corporate narrative of the larger MCU universe, it does so in a giddily tongue-in-cheek fashion that makes even the recurring threads and tensions from the previous films feel fresher and more engaging than ever before. Some viewers might not take to Waititi's heavier emphasis on comedy, but I thought it gave the film a very effectively playful edge akin to that of his previous film, Hunt for the Wilderpeople (whose cast has a collection of killer cameos or small roles here). Freed from the shackles of approaching the title role with Shakespearean seriousness, Chris Hemsworth gives his strongest and most assured performance as Thor to date. He's clearly having a blast in the role, and he certainly comes across in a less aloof fashion this time out. Tom Hiddleston is also fun as ever to watch as Loki, and his rapport with Hemsworth is stronger here than in the previous three films in which they've both appeared. Cate Blanchett is fun if underused as the primary antagonist, but Jeff Goldblum handily upstages her in scenery consumption in a performance that trades masterfully on his quirks. Honestly, I'm a little surprised that the online response to the film hasn't been warmer; while it does lack the heft of, say, the Captain America sequels, it's an incredibly entertaining ride that cleverly subverts the expected formula with its tongue planted firmly in cheek.

A-

Stray thoughts:

- It's interesting that some people here have compared this one (negatively) with Iron Man 3. I also enjoyed Iron Man 3 very thoroughly and think the films work for very similar reasons: they still follow the beats of their predecessors in a broad sense, but reinvent their respective solo franchises in their directors' distinct comedic styles. Iron Man 3 definitely felt like a Shane Black film and Thor: Ragnarok definitely feels like a Taika Waititi film. I love that the powers-that-be allowed Waititi to take this film in such a wacky direction rather than trying to make another fantasy-heavy film like they did with The Dark World.

- Mark Ruffalo's Hulk needs his own movie - preferably one that takes the road trip buddy comedy angle in this film further.

- Waititi's Korg was friggin' hilarious. "Piss off, ghost!"

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Goffe said:

Visually, I thought this looked like ass, probably the worst looking Marvel since.. I can’t remember when? 

Save for a few CGI shots (which I suspect it’s where all the praises are coming from) it all looks so flat and muted. Sakaar, in particular, looks like it was designed to look like a toy set. The Dump seems like they got a bunch of colors that didn’t mesh well, stirred them in a bucket, and spilled the ugly-looking mixture over the picture without any precision or care. Asgard never once looked as majestic as it did in the previous movies. The Earth footage looked like it was filmed by an iPhone or something.

Plus, the camerawork couldn’t be any more standard even if it tried.

Agreed. I understand why people are going to like it but to me it was not appealing at all. It wasn't just about looking realistic. It was too video game looking and dull.

It really reminded me of that horrible Pacific Rim trailer beforehand and it's obvious that most of this film was filmed in front of a green screen instead of on location. Again....the Star Wars Prequels.

CGI can look good with the right care...I don't think this had it. But maybe seeing movies like Blade Runner 2049 raises my expectations for stuff like this. But even Wonder Womans CGI looked better. So did GOTG Vol. 2 and SM: Homecoming. 

People complained about the CGI in Pirates but outside of a few scenes (the shark riding thing), that still looked better than this movie. Sorry.

Edited by somebody85

One thing about these movies now, is they are so telegraphed down to the scenes put in place to add comedic relief. And it all feels like it's been done before so now it's mocking itself because there's nowhere else to go. There's nothing really to take with you and think about afterwards. Well at least for me....I see people arguing about these movies for weeks.

It's just another chapter in this long never ending TV show. Sure Black Panther will be even more of the same.

In a way, I really wish Infinity War was the end. 

• Like 1

This was a fun time. Chris Hemsworth is charismatic as ever, the visuals are fantastic, the humor is on-point, and everyone in the cast is fantastic. I couldn't think of a single character that wasn't entertaining to watch on-screen. While I do think it could've lightened up on the amount of jokes that were thrown in, I do think they were needed very much so. I can already tell that Infinity War is gonna be a mostly dark film so some lighter moments amidst a mostly world-ending situation presented in the film were very much welcome.

This is easily the best of the Thor films and a pretty solid entry in the MCU. In fact, I think every comic book film has been nothing short of great this year. Hopefully, Justice League delivers. If so, this might be the greatest year for comic book movies ever.

A-

One word, brilliant. It is one thing to develop characters a certain way from the beginning, it is entirely something to redefine characters in the 3rd movie to an absolute del8ght.

The interaction between Hulk, Banner and thor is nothing short of phenomenal. Loved it way more than I thought I would. On par with The Avengers and Iron Man.

Taika Waititi is an awesome director. Hemsworth, Hiddleston, Blanchet and Goldblum are superb. 

Rating: A

• Thanks 1