ZeeSoh

Wednesday numbers: Bad Mom 2 opens to $2.6m

It’s a non-summer non-Friday debut people! Damn, friday will be more likely between $5-$7 million and with a 3-day debut ranging anywhere from $15-$20 million which is ok to not bad, for a comedy sequel. And Saturday should be decent with matinees and such. 

Just now, filmlover said:

Any comedy sequels set for 2018 that we can be on the lookout for having a big decrease? Aside from Deadpool 2 (sort of).

Other than Dead2ool, Super Troopers 2, 

14 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Oh yes. But I can still see it doing similar numbers to The Intern as counterprogramming for older audiences, which would be really good given the 10 year gap.

That'll make most of its money OS similar to how Bridget Jones did. 

1 minute ago, Boxofficerules said:

What is it with Comedy sequels that makes them constantly under perform? Horrible Bosses 2, Ted 2, Hot Tub Time Machine 2, the list goes on.

I guess the originals rely on the novelty factor.

Once the novelty is gone, audiences bail.

Kind of like hearing the same joke twice.

Plus the continued storyline is often forced and audience got wise to the blatant, lazy cash grab element.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, a2knet said:

btw this isn't a preview number. it's the full wed.

yeah, I just meant will they ever tell us what the showings last Wednesday did for the girls night/wine event.  Also, I know the 2.6M isn't a preview number, but although others may disagree I am personally considering it along those lines given it was a random Wednesday after halloween.  Some of the demand probably also was used up in that event last week so I would be interested to know what those numbers were.  

8 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

What is it with Comedy sequels that makes them constantly under perform? Horrible Bosses 2, Ted 2, Hot Tub Time Machine 2, the list goes on.

More often than not, the originals had a premise that was only good for one movie and the sequels gave audiences no real reason to come back. Hangover 2 (even if it still slightly dropped), 22 Jump Street, and Pitch Perfect 2 (the original movie was only a solid hit in theaters before exploding when it came out for home viewing) were exceptions, not the rule.

5 hours ago, The Last baumer said:

I don't think you can really say if this is good or bad right now.  I don't think many knew it was opening on a Wednesday.  So I really have no idea how it will do from here on out.

This is a good point. Movie buffs like constantly track release date changes and stuff like that but a good portion of the the general public certainly could expect a typical Friday opening. A lot of people see posters or trailers and don't really take note of the release date. They just go "Oh Bad Moms 2! I want to see that!".

• Like 1