ZeeSoh

Wednesday numbers: Bad Mom 2 opens to $2.6m

15 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I guess the originals rely on the novelty factor.

Once the novelty is gone, audiences bail.

Kind of like hearing the same joke twice.

For some movie that is really obviously the case to me, say for the movie Ted/Ted 2, the first overperformed by a giant amount because of is novelty factor of the premise, got a sequel purely out of is success with not much else to say.

For some it is less obviously the case and more a mix with the second element cash grab factor, but yes often the big success in the comedy that got sequel (Neighbors, Horrible boss, Ted, Bad moms, etc...) was the appealing high concept, if you are repeating exactly or almost the same concept (like Hangover 2, Jump street 22, Pitch perfect 2) you probably better augment the budget, change the setting a little bit at least and rise it to a new level, if being small was part of the charm it will probably fail at being good but can still open the first weekend.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I guess the originals rely on the novelty factor.

Once the novelty is gone, audiences bail.

Kind of like hearing the same joke twice.

Plus the continued storyline is often forced and audience got wise to the blatant, lazy cash grab element.

That and comedy sequels tend to get really weird and really "bigger" with their plots, because the writers clearly can't think of anything better. It's pretty obvious most comedy hits are really one-offs, and that you can't usually build a franchise around them. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The turnaround on the Bad Moms movies is nutty. First movie was shot in the first quarter of 2016 and released in July that year. The sequel was shot over the summer and released on November 1. Impressive.

This explains so much. The movie looks like it was shot over 3 weeks on a tv show budget.

I'm staying contrarian on this one. Many have mentioned a lack of awareness this movie was even out.  That is about to change with a big boost in awareness by the Thor-goers.  Thor sellouts may even drive a few people in - especially moviepassers who might as well watch something if they are already there

I also am having a tough time deciding what a $2.6m means for this. It’s obvious this won’t be a big hit but I’m not sold it spells doom and gloom yet. Plus, this didn’t have late late night previews on Tuesday. If it did (moreso on a non-Halloween Tuesday) maybe we’d have a Wednesday number around $3.5m or so. Right now I’m predicting $17m for the weekend and $21.5m for the 5 day. 

9 minutes ago, AndyK said:

What was the reasoning for opening BM2 on a Wednesday?

What was the reasoning for releasing a Xmas movie this early anyway?

Could it be not on tuesday because of a halloween not on thursday because of thor ? I could imagine it is some sort of like using a platform release to build word before going wide, trying to use wednesday/thursday to get word of mouth going for the first weekend instead of reviews/massive ads campaign.

The reasoning of releasing Xmas movies very early is trying to swing for the fence, Christmas movie legs can shut down pass 1 january, early november Christmas comedy often get great 4.5/5.5x multipliers when they work because they will have a very long life (versus a short one for any other release time), i imagine it is more risky in the case they fail to not even reach the holidays.

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Could it be not on tuesday because of a halloween not on thursday because of thor ? I could imagine it is some sort of like using a platform release to build word before going wide, trying to use wednesday/thursday to get word of mouth going for the first weekend instead of reviews/massive ads campaign.

The reasoning of releasing Xmas movies very early is trying to swing for the fence, Christmas movie legs can shut down pass 1 january, early november Christmas comedy often get great 4.5/5.5x multipliers when they work because they will have a very long life (versus a short one for any other release time), i imagine it is more risky in the case they fail to not even reach the holidays.

Yes, and the more I think about it - it makes sense to do very targeted ad spending and allow Thor to bring everyone to the theater and see that this is playing too in order to bring awareness to the general audience.  

3 minutes ago, cookie said:

I think with 22JS the whole joke was that it was a "here we go again" type sequel and audiences felt like they were in on it. Can't say the same about the other comedy sequels.

Definitely can say that with Mamma Mia 2, though. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

The turnaround on the Bad Moms movies is nutty. First movie was shot in the first quarter of 2016 and released in July that year. The sequel was shot over the summer and released on November 1. Impressive.

TBH comedies can’t take that long to shoot, edit and released, it’s not like they have long post production