aabattery

Weekend Thread | Actuals (p.100) ~ Thor: Ragnarok - 122.744M, Bad Moms 2 16.759M, Jigsaw 6.558M, Boo 2 4.451M, Geostorm 3.194M | GOLD ACCOUNT SALE (1st post for details) | 91k PTA for Lady Bird

$41 million OD, does about $35-$37 million Saturday. Then does about $26 million Sunday. $102-$104 ow. But I think there should be a slight boost, keep in mind there are still evening showings in the West-coast areas as well. So it could be between $40-$43 million OD. 

41 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Sorry Mods for posting one thing regarding DC/Marvel: I actually think Ragnarok and JL will coexist fine. Ragnaroks reception is glowing and SH movies with a comedic tone tend to have good-to-great legs (GotG and its sequel, SPH after the 2nd weekend or Ant-Man); while JL will be a lot lighter than BvS judging from trailers and interviews, it will still be something very different by beeing an ensemble movie with all main DC characters (Thor has only Thor/Hulk as main ones). I dont expect Ragnarok to drop 56%+ in its 3rd weekend, i could only see it if JL opens to something crazy like 170M+.

You don't expect it to drop 56%+? TBH, I'd be surprised if Ragnarok dropped less than 60% in its 3rd weekend.

Don't forget that its 2nd Friday will be inflated by Veteran's Day. Even Doctor Strange dropped 59% after its 2nd Friday was inflated by Veteran's Day, and it had much weaker competition. On its 3rd weekend DS faced Fantastic Beasts which opened to $74M. Justice League will open bigger and it'll have more overlap with Ragnarok's audience than FB. Ragnarok is also a sequel while DS was not. Dropping less than 56% would in its 3rd weekend would be incredible imo, considering the circumstances.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Sorry Mods for posting one thing regarding DC/Marvel: I actually think Ragnarok and JL will coexist fine. Ragnaroks reception is glowing and SH movies with a comedic tone tend to have good-to-great legs (GotG and its sequel, SPH after the 2nd weekend or Ant-Man); while JL will be a lot lighter than BvS judging from trailers and interviews, it will still be something very different by beeing an ensemble movie with all main DC characters (Thor has only Thor/Hulk as main ones). I dont expect Ragnarok to drop 56%+ in its 3rd weekend, i could only see it if JL opens to something crazy like 170M+.

It’s not about the tone or audience acceptance, it’s just math. Next weekend has Veterans Day inflating it and then when JL releases, the biggest effect on Thor will be losing IMAX and PLF screens. Around 20-25% of box office contributing screens will just be lost. Even Wonder Woman has its biggest fall when Transformers released because of losing IMAX, it had lost PLF partly to Mummy and Cars already which is why it still managed a decent drop that weekend.

• Like 2

Bad Moms doing $6.5 million and making $17.5 million ow isn’t actually that bad. Legs should be doable, and could actually make north of $60 million if not maybe even $70 million total. Not bad, for a modest-budget flick. Hopefully it gets a matinee boost inn Saturday 

• Like 2

I’m glad to see Chris Hemsworth finally has a good solo movie in the MCU. First one showed promise and had the fish out of water aspect working for it but it had plenty of room for improvement, which The Dark World totally squandered. Then he barely seemed to be in Age of Ultron until the big fight at the end. Only other time he was able to really show anything was the first Avengers movie. Kind of sad that Thor has seemed to be an afterthought in the MCU up until now. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Bad Moms doing $6.5 million and making $17.5 million ow isn’t actually that bad. Legs should be doable, and could actually make north of $60 million if not maybe even $70 million total. Not bad, for a modest-budget flick. Hopefully it gets a matinee boost inn Saturday 

It's doing fine considering the budget was so low (probably the result of being churned out so fast) but it's looking to finish with 55-60% of the first movie's gross at best, making it the latest in a long line of comedy sequels that audiences dismissed (you're next, Daddy's Home 2!).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

So can we peel back some of the doom and gloom for Bad Moms?  6.5M is a true friday number that could've been ~9.5M with traditional previews included

6.5M, if it holds, is a really good Friday number for sure.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, AJG said:

I’m kinda waiting for the Mods to turn against each other at this point. Should be fun.

I understand the need to cut down on the endless Marvel vs DC bickering,but to say it's wrong to discuss the impact that Thor and Justice League will have on each other opening up, as they do, within a couple of weeks of each other is pretty damn silly....particulatrly at an alleged box office site. (I saw alleged because at times it descends to the level of a typical fan site).

• Like 1

A Bad Moms Christmas is probably gonna end up having a drop from the first Bad Moms ($113M) similar to what Magic Mike XXL ($66M) saw from Magic Mike ($113M). Considering both are female-targeted franchises made very cheaply (super cheaply in the case of the Magic Mike movies), that's not bad.

• Like 1