aabattery

Weekend Thread | Actuals (p.100) ~ Thor: Ragnarok - 122.744M, Bad Moms 2 16.759M, Jigsaw 6.558M, Boo 2 4.451M, Geostorm 3.194M | GOLD ACCOUNT SALE (1st post for details) | 91k PTA for Lady Bird

4 minutes ago, DealWithIt said:

All spot on. If JL even ends up “just” being decent, it’s going to be massive. 

People take to it like they did Wonder Woman? Game, set, match after just opening weekend. Getting to see WW again just a few months after her solo movie might also be enough to sell people. 

This might be the first time a Steve Jaros post was responded with "all spot on."  ;)

38 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

Many just don't seem to realize that the appeal of the top JL characters is just far great and deeper than that of most of the Marvel characters. Really, it's amazing that Marvel has managed to make Thor, a character 90% of Americans had never heard of, into this massive money-making machine.

But compared to Batman, Wonder Woman, and Super Man, house-hold names for the past 70+ years?

DC makes BAD movies with those characters, like BvS, and it still does $330m DOM! They make a good one, like Batman 2012, it does $470m DOM, or $410m DOM like WW.

You nailed it: For a Marvel character like Thor to beat JL, Thor has to be GREAT and JL has to be TRIPE. The appeal of the DC characters is just naturally far greater.

Fortunately for Marvel and Disney, Thor IS an excellent film, so sure, it will make its big money. But it won't beat JL. 

Exactly, i don't think JL will be under Thor at all. I actually am starting to think the movie might be kinda good. I'm rather just pointing out that it's not locked to win.

Just now, Squadron Leader Tele said:

I feel confident in saying people won’t take to JL the way they did to WW. It doesn’t even have anything to do with JL’s quality. WW was a generational reaction that can’t easily be replicated. 

You're not wrong. Wonder Woman may be in JL, but it's a "team film", and thus will be treated differently. Plus Wonder Woman did so well because of amazing WOM, Justice League will likely not have that same pleasure. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

I feel confident in saying people won’t take to JL the way they did to WW. It doesn’t even have anything to do with JL’s quality. WW was a generational reaction that can’t be easily replicated. 

aquaman will unite everyone's inner dude-bro 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Guys, you didn't catch that auto-complete error :D. Embraced was confused with Embarrased. I didnt catch it.

24 minutes ago, OdinSon2k14 said:

I'm thinking it's the sole reason a Thor movie is finally getting embraced in China. Selling a Thor movie in China was like selling a freezer in Alaska. 

Universal still has distribution rights, so while I can't see another solo film? I can certainly see Hill's arc being strung out over several B solo properties like Ant Man and Strange.

Edited by OdinSon2k14
  • Like 1

• Community Manager
9 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

I feel confident in saying people won’t take to JL the way they did to WW. It doesn’t even have anything to do with JL’s quality. WW was a generational reaction that can’t be easily replicated. 

I think until Trump is out of office, light-hearted superhero movies will continue to catch audience fascination. Darker movies in general will struggle to find an audience. Box office suggests people want fun escapes from reality. So CBM dominance will continue until 2024 at least.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

I think until Trump is out of office, light-hearted superhero movies will continue to catch audience fascination. Darker movies in general will struggle to find an audience. Box office suggests people want fun escapes from reality. So CBM dominance will continue until 2024 at least.

Okay, this post amuses me b/c it assumes the 2020 election is a shoe-in.  I mean, we have had a bunch of one term presidents...even some recent ones:)...

And I don't think it will need to be all bright and sunshine for that long...there's always shifting moods and dynamics every year...what hits the zeitgeist this year is almost certain to miss next year...

EDIT: Case in point - 2016 was the year of the family animated movie (6 of top 11 movies DOM if you count Jungle Book) - this year will see 2 in the top 11, and that's only if Coco can top Fate of the Furious (since Thor, JL and Star Wars will send Lego Bats, currently #10, out of the top 11)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Okay, this post amuses me b/c it assumes the 2020 election is a shoe-in.  I mean, we have had a bunch of one term presidents...even some recent ones:)...

And I don't think it will need to be all bright and sunshine for that long...there's always shifting moods and dynamics every year...what hits the zeitgeist this year is almost certain to miss next year...

WB is just trolling me (kinda).

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

Many just don't seem to realize that the appeal of the top JL characters is just far great and deeper than that of most of the Marvel characters. Really, it's amazing that Marvel has managed to make Thor, a character 90% of Americans had never heard of, into this massive money-making machine.

But compared to Batman, Wonder Woman, and Super Man, house-hold names for the past 70+ years?

DC makes BAD movies with those characters, like BvS, and it still does $330m DOM! They make a good one, like Batman 2012, it does $470m DOM, or $410m DOM like WW.

You nailed it: For a Marvel character like Thor to beat JL, Thor has to be GREAT and JL has to be TRIPE. The appeal of the DC characters is just naturally far greater.

Fortunately for Marvel and Disney, Thor IS an excellent film, so sure, it will make its big money. But it won't beat JL. 

Batman has always been a big box office draw. Wonder Woman finally got her first movie ever and it came at a time where women needed something inspirational. We'll see where she is by her 3rd or 4th movie. Superman being a household name has done absolutely nothing for his character the last few decades when it comes to the box office, performing more like he's a B or C-list character than a flagship character. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

In more ways than one :sparta: 

17 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Wonder Woman had humor but it wasn't exactly lighthearted.