aabattery

Weekend Thread | Actuals (p.100) ~ Thor: Ragnarok - 122.744M, Bad Moms 2 16.759M, Jigsaw 6.558M, Boo 2 4.451M, Geostorm 3.194M | GOLD ACCOUNT SALE (1st post for details) | 91k PTA for Lady Bird

Sorry Mods for posting one thing regarding DC/Marvel: I actually think Ragnarok and JL will coexist fine. Ragnaroks reception is glowing and SH movies with a comedic tone tend to have good-to-great legs (GotG and its sequel, SPH after the 2nd weekend or Ant-Man); while JL will be a lot lighter than BvS judging from trailers and interviews, it will still be something very different by beeing an ensemble movie with all main DC characters (Thor has only Thor/Hulk as main ones). I dont expect Ragnarok to drop 56%+ in its 3rd weekend, i could only see it if JL opens to something crazy like 170M+.

• Like 3

Just now, Brainbug said:

Sorry Mods for posting one thing regarding DC/Marvel: I actually think Ragnarok and JL will coexist fine. Ragnaroks reception is glowing and SH movies with a comedic tone tend to have good-to-great legs (GotG and its sequel, SPH after the 2nd weekend or Ant-Man); while JL will be a lot lighter than BvS judging from trailers and interviews, it will still be something very different by beeing an ensemble movie with all main DC characters (Thor has only Thor/Hulk as main ones). I dont expect Ragnarok to drop 56%+ in its 3rd weekend, i could only see it if JL opens to something crazy like 170M+.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, YourMother said:

It’ll be glorious to see the Ban Hammer at it’s true damage potential.

Inevitably, when you have 2 films from the same exact genre opening a few weeks apart, comparisons being made between those 2 movies is logical and should be expected. I am curious to see how the staff handles that situation. That should be fun.

Personally, I'm not here to argue quality. I only come here for the box office, so I should be safe. But, ban hammers are lethal weapons and once used, their damage can be wide spread.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

That happened to Hercules ‘97 as well. Disney must not care for smaller films making just $100 million total. 

Disney tried their damndest to get Hercules past $100 million, just as they had done with Hunchback the year before. They even re-released it on shared screens with George of the Jungle... which ended up carrying that film a little further over $100 million.

On the other hand, I'd totally buy that Disney capped Gnomeo & Juliet's run out of spite. They all but disowned it by releasing it under the Touchstone label (which is the same thing they did with Strange Magic four years later), opened it against a Justin Bieber concert film at the height of his popularity, and clearly didn't expect it to make much after sitting on the shelf for years. And then it did...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Disney tried their damndest to get Hercules past $100 million, just as they had done with Hunchback the year before. They even re-released it on shared screens with George of the Jungle... which ended up carrying that film a little further over $100 million.

On the other hand, I'd totally buy that Disney capped Gnomeo & Juliet's run out of spite. They all but disowned it by releasing it under the Touchstone label (which is the same thing they did with Strange Magic four years later), opened it against a Justin Bieber concert film at the height of his popularity, and clearly didn't expect it to make much after sitting on the shelf for years. And then it did...

And then Disney themselves produced one of the biggest bombs of all time with Mars Needs Moms the following month. lmao. Still can't believe anyone thought at any point in time that premise was a good idea for a $150M movie.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

The Hell is this? Why stop there? Even Goddamn Spectre could get to a century mark.

Maybe Elton John was supposed to get royalties if it crossed 100m or something and Disney decided to troll him. I have no idea. It was the weirdest thing I ever saw, especially right after Disney used the OST opening to fudge Tangled past 200m. Then they closed Gnomeo literally the Thursday before Cars 2 premiered. 

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

November should just be renamed Hammer Month this year.

Related image

giphy.gif

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Lol, 10 years ago, Disney used to worry constantly about their films flopping.

Now they're on auto-pilot with at least four golden goose sub-studios.

Disney has had an amazing decade. And they're basically telling every studio to take 2019 off while they do a year long victory lap.

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Disney will be #1 every year until the end of time. It is written. Deal with it.

Until 2020, depending on if Avatar 2 does $400M or $700M

• Like 1

So at this stage, if it follows Guardians 2's performance after its Thursday previews, Thor should be on track for $125 million. That would be a pretty damn great opening after the middling reception The Dark World got four years ago.