aabattery

Weekend Thread | Actuals (p.100) ~ Thor: Ragnarok - 122.744M, Bad Moms 2 16.759M, Jigsaw 6.558M, Boo 2 4.451M, Geostorm 3.194M | GOLD ACCOUNT SALE (1st post for details) | 91k PTA for Lady Bird

YOOOOOOOOOOO THAT LADY BIRD OPENING :ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod: I don't see how it'll have any trouble getting 2k theaters over Thanksgiving.

I want higher numbers for Thor, dammit!

Surprisingly not-shitty holds for some movies. I'm dreading to see how fucked my Derby is.

Dunno what there is to say about Bad Moms that hasn't been said already. Just shit all around.

Disastrous opening for Last Flag Flying. It has zero chance of going wide. Zero.

1 minute ago, ZeeSoh said:

Seems like MCU day on TV. Civil War then Iron Man 3 and Doctor Strange back to back. I wonder whats after DS

Beats me. GOTG2 should be on TV or streaming around Christmas though.

Edited by AJG
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, The Last baumer said:

120 does not guarantee it 300 @EmpireCity.  There' a good chance of course but its not going to cruise past 300. 

I will agree b/c it is getting every possible screen and showing its core fans need to see it this weekend, so to get to $300M, it will need to pull in repeat viewers and casual fans who hear the word of mouth and give it a shot...

I mean, my local 12 gave SEVEN screens over to this from 8:30pm on last night (they pretty much canceled everything else but Bad Moms)...this is a reserved seating theater who made the call in the morning to just dump their whole unsold evening lineup...

Even before that, all of my local theaters (mall and local) gave this more showings per day than any movie this year...so, the pent up demand is probably being met...

So, it could just as easily be Cap CW as WW or SMH...we won't know legs til we see weekday drops and the 2nd week (that's where it usually becomes obvious where this is going)...

• Like 1

I really loved Thor. I have to admit I honestly hated the trailers. I thought they were complete garbage. I would fire the marketing department. I'm trying to convince one of my best friends to see the movie because he was so turned off by the trailer. The only reason I got my GF to go is because she loves Thor, those are two of her favorite MCU movies, if not her absolute favorites actually (Doctor Strange was close for her). She thought the trailer was putrid. I don't know anyone who liked it, frankly, it wasn't funny, it looked cheesy, it was so, so bad. But I trust Marvel implicitly, they have a perfect track record. They haven't made one movie yet I'd rate below a B+ and most are in the A range. 

I'm the opposite of my GF with Thor, though, not my thing as much. Thor is my least favorite MCU movie, and Thor 2 was better, but... well, it's not a favorite either. Those might be my bottom two. So imagine my surprise that Thor 3 completely kicked ass, one of the funniest blockbusters I've ever seen, and action-packed throughout. I loved the music, the effects, cinematography, acting and characters, I really loved it all. It was also just badass. I got goosebumps when Thor got his lightning abilities both times, that was just so freakin' cool. So for me, Thor 3 is one of the top MCU films. I wish it a great amount of success.

While I saw it in IMAX 2D I will be back again this week for IMAX 3D. Who knows, I have MoviePass, I may see it a third time just vanilla. 

6 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

I really loved Thor. I have to admit I honestly hated the trailers. I thought they were complete garbage. I would fire the marketing department. I'm trying to convince one of my best friends to see the movie because he was so turned off by the trailer. The only reason I got my GF to go is because she loves Thor, those are two of her favorite MCU movies, if not her absolute favorites actually (Doctor Strange was close for her). She thought the trailer was putrid. I don't know anyone who liked it, frankly, it wasn't funny, it looked cheesy, it was so, so bad. But I trust Marvel implicitly, they have a perfect track record. They haven't made one movie yet I'd rate below a B+ and most are in the A range. 

I'm the opposite of my GF with Thor, though, not my thing as much. Thor is my least favorite MCU movie, and Thor 2 was better, but... well, it's not a favorite either. Those might be my bottom two. So imagine my surprise that Thor 3 completely kicked ass, one of the funniest blockbusters I've ever seen, and action-packed throughout. I loved the music, the effects, cinematography, acting and characters, I really loved it all. It was also just badass. I got goosebumps when Thor got his lightning abilities both times, that was just so freakin' cool. So for me, Thor 3 is one of the top MCU films. I wish it a great amount of success.

While I saw it in IMAX 2D I will be back again this week for IMAX 3D. Who knows, I have MoviePass, I may see it a third time just vanilla. 

Wait, the first Thor Ragnarok trailer was "terrible"? :kitschjob:

I wonder if hypothetically speaking if Thor steals some of JL’s thunder. I mean both are likely 2 $100M+ CBM openers in a two week time span. I’m expecting Thor’s legs to be a bit weaker than normal but I wonder if JL’s OW will be lower due to proximity. I still think JL will open to $150M+ but I not too sure about it opening above BVS.

If any of the mods aren’t okay with this comment, they can delete it.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

Generally I find that civil war was well praised by superhero fans however to more casual viewers they were not as amused.

I think personally civil war should have gone even darker with a death or two to give the film real impact. I think that what stopped the film from really being an A level film.

Adding death doesn’t necessarily add stakes that audiences will care about. (See BVS)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I wonder if hypothetically speaking if Thor steals some of JL’s thunder. I mean both are likely 2 $100M+ CBM openers in a two week time span. I’m expecting Thor’s legs to be a bit weaker than normal but I wonder if JL’s OW will be lower due to proximity. I still think JL will open to $150M+ but I not too sure about it opening above BVS.

If any of the mods aren’t okay with this comment, they can delete it.

I doubt that honestly, but crazier things have happened.

• Like 1

Someone (ie War Machine) should’ve died. While CW was a good movie, the one thing I thought that kept it from recapturing the magic during rewatches was a little bit more drama and stakes (and maybe end it on a bit more darker note)

• Like 1