Finnick

Weekend Thread | Estimates: T:R 57.08M, DH2 29.65M, MOTOE 28.68M, ABMC 11.47M, 32.4K PTA for Lady Bird (Deadline, p.46) | The box office is good again!

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

I wanted to like Murder on the Orient Express more tbh. Didn't feel there was any character development, nor was there any suspense in the actual "detecting" - Hecules seems to just know things out of the blue. Production values were good, cast was fine but none of them had character backing. Branagh is terrific - easily the best part of the movie. Loved him, was blah at best on the rest.

The film needed more room to breathe for sure, especially in the first two acts.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, YourMother said:

If it doesn’t, can you shut up about your clear anger at Disney for being on top or making illogical clubs in hopes of Disney being taken down.

Sure, but only if it does, you shut up on this forum for the following month, except to post "SteveJaros" is my personal box office prediction Deity" three times. Deal? 

Just now, SteveJaros said:

Sure, but only if it does, you shut up on this forum for the following month, except to post "SteveJaros" is my personal box office prediction Deity" three times. Deal? 

Look I don’t care if JL does outgross Thor and Coco together but don’t let bias interfere with your predictions. It’s annoying.

27 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Look I don’t care if JL does outgross Thor and Coco together but don’t let bias interfere with your predictions. It’s annoying.

FWIW, I'm not biased, except for Disney. I love Disney. Saw Thor opening day, and thought it was as good as the Tomatometer says it is. Big fan of Marvel, Pixar, Star Wars, and I've gone to the Magic Kingdom in Orlando almost 40 times over the past 39 years.

But I call it as i see it: WB will have the best DOM 2017, IMHO. 

Edited by SteveJaros

17 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

FWIW, I'm not biased, except for Disney. I love Disney. Saw Thor opening day, and thought it was as good as the Tomatometer says it is. Big fan of Marvel, Pixar, Star Wars, and I've gone to the Magic Kingdom in Orlando almost 40 times over the past 39 years.

But I call it as i see it: WB will have the best DOM 2017, IMHO. 

You keep saying you love Disney, but every single thing you say is anti-Disney. I doubt anyone believes you.

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

TR had the best second weekend drop for an MCU sequel and the 5th best among all MCU films. Every MCU film to go below a 2.6x multi had a second weekend drop between 58-60%. 

A lot of MCU movies come out in summer where weekdays take away biz. I think a ow to 10-day multiplier would be a better indicator (and you could still be right...not denying that. Just hat Nov + Vet Day beneift falling on 2nd Friday, say opposed to 1st Monday for Thor2 changes things a bit for the 2nd weekend)

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, a2knet said:

A lot of MCU movies come out in summer where weekdays take away biz. I think a ow to 10-day multiplier would be a better indicator (and you could still be right...not denying that. Just hat Nov + Vet Day beneift falling on 2nd Friday, say opposed to 1st Monday for Thor2 changes things a bit for the 2nd weekend)

The OW to 10 day multi is 1.73 vs The Dark World and Doctor Strange 1.69 vs 1.8. So maybe it lands near the middle of their final multis. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

Both Murder and Daddy increased on Sunday from saturday at my theatre (the fact that Monday's a holiday certainly helped Sunday night play almost like a Saturday night) but the matinees themselves were super strong. 

Murder did our equivalent of 40.7M opening weekend. Awesome multiplier off of its 10.1M Friday (but to be fair there were no previews on Thursday so that friday number was just a true Friday). Jumped to 14.7M Saturday, and then 15.9M Sunday. 

Daddy's Home 2 hugely overperformed. Most of the audience was made up of families, so credit that to a small town that doesn't have much else to do and hasn't seen a kids film come by since Ninjago. I was off when I gave our Friday number, it was actually closer to our equivalent of 15M I think, might have been I bit higher I haven't memorized the daily breakdown. Just that it did our equivalent of $53.1M weekend, good for the #11 opening of the year here.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

I think it's crazy how top heavy the top 4 were this weekend.  Thor averaged roughly 1500 tickets sold per location.  That means roughly 3000 people came for Thor, Express, and DH2.  Also BM2 would then do a little less than half of Express or DH2 in comparison per location.  Who knows how the rest performed.  Maybe they had limited showings where the strongest showing represents the bulk of their daily average

Edited by Matrix4You