kayumanggi

MORBIUS | April 1 2022 | Sony | Returns to 1000+ theaters June 3rd because we live in a simulation

11 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

Why would Disney have anything to do with it? Venom isn't even an MCU property.

COlumbia can do anything it wants with charecters from the Spiderman franchise. Marvel Studios has no control over what they do.

Columiba has chosen to co produce the actual Spidey films with Marvel Studios but  that is the point: It is a choice. Columbia owns the screen rights to Spiderman, and Disney can't do anthing about it so long as Columbia fulfills the contractual obligations they have to keep the franchise.

On 3/21/2022 at 12:27 AM, Saul Goodman said:

Another Venom....

Venom was a very popular charecter even before the movie opened.

Morbius was not;he is a minor charecter without much of a following.

Huge difference.

Remember when Jessica Chastain played “Random Alien Queen” in one of the X-Men films because Fox couldn’t receive proper permissions to use the Skrull characters?

Edited by AJG
  • Haha 9
  • ...wtf 1

9 minutes ago, AJG said:

Remember when Jessica Chastain played “Random Alien Queen” in one of the X-Men films because Fox couldn’t receive proper permissions to use the Skrull characters?

Of course it worked both ways: Wanda was not referred to  as the Scarlet Witch until the Minisereis because that name belonged to the X men franchise. Marvel could use the charecter because she was an Avenger but could not call her the Scarlet Witch.

1 hour ago, Noiret Jak said:

Several people went to the preview in Paris tonight.
5 people told me about it on the networks, 1 told me good, 3 average, 1 not good. General opinion: film not bad but boring.

That combination is bad for its box office, but will make its run probably not boring for us.

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Cette combinaison est mauvaise pour son box-office, mais rendra sa course probablement pas ennuyeuse pour nous.

More precision:

Some nice scenes but a sharp, long pace, and you don't feel invested in the story.

• Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, Noiret Jak said:

More precision:

Some nice scenes but a sharp, long pace, and you don't feel invested in the story.

I had serious French class flashbacks reading my quote in French there. Beautiful language but very hard to learn.

Concering your point: Slow pacing as well as a not-very investing story are leg killers. If this is how, the GA will feel, then this movie might open reasonably well (50-65M it think), but could fall off a cliff after that.

• Like 1

Spoiler

The thing that gets me is I wouldn't have even cared if there were no easter eggs if they weren't advertised in the trailers... but that fact they went back and removed them after getting everyone excited? I kinda hope this flops now. Which is a shame because I remember Morbius from the 90s Spider-Man cartoon and was actually kinda looking forward to it.

This should've opened back in late January, but no Sony thought they made too much money in that quarter* so it moved lol. 

As for the eggs/universe thing....I do find it annoying when my fellow Marvelites (or general modern spandex cinema fandom online) sometimes seem to care more about the shared universe connections more than you know, THE MOVIE. It unintentionally gives credence to what the pretentious annoying cinephiles cry about these sort of things. 

Do I enjoy that stuff? Absolutely, but it's desert and not the main course. I go to these things because they tend to entertain me, rapture me with their imaginative characters and fantastical feats and divert me from this chaotic lousy world for a couple of hours. The fact that they might reference a character from a movie 7 years ago or a yet-unseen agency? It's bonus for the hardcore fans, adds an extra level of pleasure to these proceedings. Or the inevitable (if sometimes fun) fandom mental masturbation that gee Character A might meet Character B someday! 

Reminds me of how alot of Marvelites HATED that post-credits tag after Hawkeye's last episode and you can sum it simply as this: it didn't set up anything. Meanwhile I enjoyed that King Kevin and Marvel indulged themselves Disney's blank check. Did it mean anything? Not really, but does entertainment necessarily have to? 

*=This happens when execs run studios. 

4 hours ago, poweranimals said:
Spoiler

The thing that gets me is I wouldn't have even cared if there were no easter eggs if they weren't advertised in the trailers... but that fact they went back and removed them after getting everyone excited? I kinda hope this flops now. Which is a shame because I remember Morbius from the 90s Spider-Man cartoon and was actually kinda looking forward to it.

Not knocking the character, but I've struggled to understand what exactly would he add to the current well-populated spandex cinema landscape. "Oh he's a vampire!" Well OK...so like Blade but without the cool superhero touches? If say this universe has a Blade, then add Morbius...OK, that adds some context. Of course I'm biased because this thing has been working uphill since the beginning because I have no use for Leto as an actor. It's not Venom where even if I went "meh," you still had a charismatic good actor at front that gave some appeal. 

Of course vampires have historically always been popular in form or another, so there is still something in that basic concept even if that monster has been well-explored in media so far (books where "normal female protagonist gets the hots for vampire dude" seems to be a timeless popular pitch, long long long before Twilight.)

Spoiler

I do wonder if Sony could be cutting off their losses here? Maybe they'll try to connect after the fact, which is what happened with Venom 2. Who knows? It's odd. 

Also points for the Spider-Man TAS reference. Thanks for that brief nostalgic flashback. 

7 hours ago, DAJK said:

Really starting to get Dark Phoenix vibes lol. 

6 hours ago, clockwork said:

New Mutant vibes too .💣

You know to be fair to NM, it's actually watchable albeit as background noise. It's the sort of thing that I could see folks become fans because they went in with zero expectations and caught it like on TNT at 2 in the morning. Dark Phoenix is just useless though lol. 

Speaking of Smith/Morbius and his character, reminds me of that online conspiracy theory that King Kevin forced Fox to not make Jessica Chastain be a Skrull in DP because he didn't want his Captain Marvel and its Skrulls to get beaten to the punch. 

After how Venom 2 performed, and with Morbius having a modest budget and still months from release, a quick round of reshoots just to add some action, jokes and cameos should have been a no-brainer. If the movie is really not a disaster, just boring, and less connected to the Spider-verse than advertised, I will be very disappointed at Sony.

6 hours ago, Krissykins said:

People are certainly aware it’s coming, I’ve had the trailer before almost every film for what feels like the last year. 

I think it’ll open to $60m+ and I don’t think even Venom-level bad reviews will stop it. 

Still floors me that the first trailer for this dropped back in summer 2019. 

I know plague and stuff, but still!

1 minute ago, RRA said:

Still floors me that the first trailer for this dropped back in summer 2019. 

I know plague and stuff, but still!

Still doesnt top the epic journey that was New Mutants.

• Haha 1