The Panda

Top Grossing Movies of 2019 Predicts

28 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Originality is rarely original.

26 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

no thought is truly original

26 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Disney (& Hollywood at large) doesn't decide what movies they produce, audiences do.

Don't reverse things please.

Lets not downplay the importance of original films. 

There is: “well it’s kind of similar to....” 

Then there‘s: direct sequels and remakes that don’t change a single thing about the story. 

No harm in sequels and remakes. But I think this is the first time a major studio has released nothing but sequels and remakes over the period of an entire year. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Lets not downplay the importance of original films. 

There is: “well it’s kind of similar to....” 

Then there‘s: direct sequels and remakes that don’t change a single thing about the story. 

No harm in sequels and remakes. But I think this is the first time a major studio has released nothing but sequels and remakes over the period of an entire year. 

sorry I started talking philosophy! It wasn't my intention to do that as I'm against this franchise era we're in, even if Jim is about to show their own game is done properly.

2019's Fab Four WW:

1. The Lion King - $2.7B

2. Avengers: Endgame - $2.5B*

3. Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - 1.7B

4. Frozen II - $1.3B

*My last prediction before it opened

Edited by Royce
  • Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

I know some people are gonna be quick and predict that Lion King will beat FA's 248 mil ow, but I find that highly unlikely. It's will likely be a family film and while it has 25 years of nostalgia, it's a family film first and foremost so the fan base for LK is likely no where near as fan driven opening night like Star Wars, Marvel, or a YA novel adaptation. It will likely play very similarly to Jurassic World. 

My top 5 worldwide for 2019:

Lion King 

Avengers 4 

Star Wars 9

Frozen 2

5 way tie between Aladdin/Toy Story/Wonder Woman 2. 

Edited by Belle
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Belle said:

I know some people are gonna be quick and predict that Lion King will beat FA's 248 mil ow, but I find that highly unlikely. It's will likely be a family film and while it has 25 years of nostalgia, it's a family film first and foremost so the fan base for LK is likely no where near as fan driven opening night like Star Wars, Marvel, 

Nor near as driven as the YA audience, aka what made BatB's OW. 

15 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Nor near as driven as the YA audience, aka what made BatB's OW. 

I edited my post sorry because I accidentally pressed submit while trying to move my mouse. 

Beauty and the Beast was no where as front loaded and fan driven opening night as YA novel movies like Hunger Games, Harry Potter or the recent Star Wars movies. It played like a family film over the 3 day weekend, having around an amazing  2.74x opening day to weekend multiplier. The highest multiplier for any film with an opening day past 60 mil I believe. 

I find it unlikely Lion King will score the massive opening night previews that movies like Harry Potter or Force Awakens made. It will likely play similarity to Jurassic World, maybe 5 million more. 

Edited by Belle

On 4/7/2018 at 4:26 PM, Royce said:

2019 WW

1. The Lion King - 1.7B

2. Avengers 4 - 1.4B

3. Aladdin - 1.35B

4. Star Wars 9 - 1.3B

5. Frozen 2 - 1.2B

6. Toy Story 4 - 950m-1.02B

10. Captain Marvel - 700m-750m

Jesus Christ.

1 hour ago, Rorschach said:

I feel like you guys might be overestimating how many billion dollar films there will be.

I think Aladdin is way more of a wildcard than people are expecting. Don't see it as a surefire box office juggernaut at all, especially with its director. Ritchie has never even come close to a $1b grosser, even with an a list star like RDJ in an iconic role, and that's because his films have a very definitive style that isn't appealing to everyone. I could easily see Aladdin doing something like 300/450 (which would still be a huge success for it).

The Lion King, TA 4, IX, and Frozen should be $1b locks though. Something went very very wrong otherwise. Homecoming 2 is a strong possibility after the first got close to 900. Wouldn't take much of an increase in most markets, and when do MCU sequels to the solo films not increase quite honestly? 

TS4 and SLOP2 should have decent chances as well, though the direct competition from each other could stop both. Hobbs & Shaw is a contender just because of China and The Rock's inherent superstar status worldwide right now. Bond and Wonder Woman 2 have a small chance because of the huge OS popularity and potential added appeal of being Craig's last hurrah in the case of the former, and the potential for big increases in every OS market as a first sequel to a breakout film for the latter. Everything will pretty much have to go right for either of those to make it though.

Finally, Godzilla vs Kong is a big wildcard, because both of the last two films in each respective franchise did 500m+ worldwide. Each of them would probably be headed for about $700m if they were individual sequels, so you never know, bringing them both together might be a big enough event to hit the $1b mark. Like the TA of monster movies. So basically, yeah there's a shit ton of potential for $1b grossers next year, and it should definitely set a new record for amount of them. 

Edited by MovieMan89

Avengers IW2 2 billion

Lion King 1.6-1.7 billion

Star Wars 9 1.5 billion

Frozen 2 1.3 billion 

Aladdin/Toy Story 4 1.1.-1.2 billion

Wonder Woman 2 900-1 billion

Spider-man HC 2 900-1 billion

Godzilla 2 over 800 million

Captain Marvel 700-800 million

Shazam 700-800 million

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Warmaster506 said:

Avengers IW2 2 billion

Lion King 1.6-1.7 billion

Star Wars 9 1.5 billion

Frozen 2 1.3 billion 

Aladdin/Toy Story 4 1.1.-1.2 billion

Wonder Woman 2 900-1 billion

Spider-man HC 2 900-1 billion

Godzilla 2 over 800 million

Captain Marvel 700-800 million

Shazam 700-800 million

IW2 2 Billions :o:o 

I thought Star wars or Lion King will be taking the crown.

1 minute ago, Royce said:

I'm underestimating Star Wars because the "see the original trio" hook is gone, TLJ was hella polarizing, many fans don't like JJ Abrams (?) and there's not as much of a "last movie of the franchise for a long while" factor when Disney's been announcing all these new Star Wars trilogies, TV series and potential spin offs left and right unlike before

yes good post well said

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Finally, Godzilla vs Kong is a big wildcard, because both of the last two films in each respective franchise did 500m+ worldwide. Each of them would probably be headed for about $700m if they were individual sequels, so you never know, bringing them both together might be a big enough event to hit the $1b mark. Like the TA of monster movies. So basically, yeah there's a shit ton of potential for $1b grossers next year, and it should definitely set a new record for amount of them. 

I dunno, I feel like being a 2020 release will dampen GvK's chances at making $1B in 2019. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

That's 2020 buddy :)

• Like 1