WrathOfHan

The Super Mario Bros. Movie | Universal/Illumination | April 5, 2023 | Chris Pratt is Mario, Charlie Day is Luigi, Anya Taylor-Joy is Peach | The most profitable movie of 2023

Reviews seem to indicate that hardcore Mario and Nintendo fans are absolutely going to love it thanks to the fanserivice while everyone else will just view it as your typical meh Illunination film. Probably a RT on the 60s which will have no impact on the box office either way and probably an A CS just like Minions.

• Like 3

Im a pretty big nintendo fan myself, but its pretty annoying how some of those reactions are just the author going on about how big of a nintendo fan they are

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

This is going to have big box office regardless of reviews but I think if Universal want to keep pumping out Nintendo films they will need to appeal to more than just hardcore fans and children under 10. Especially if they eventually want to adapt stuff like Zelda or Metroid, which I could not see working as illumination style movies at all. 

• Like 3

The only 2 actual critics on there panning it is not a good sign at all. After all the meltdowns internally at Nintendo over the 1993 movie, I can't wait to see what happens when this one gets poor reviews too, from reviewers not drinking the Nintendo Kool-Aid anyway.

I'm also looking forward to see those who were using this to trash the Sonic movies eating crows. All the iconography and easter eggs in the world are not enough to save a movie when the core story doesn't work, at least according to the proper critics I've mentioned.

Edited by BadOlCatSylvester
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

4 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The only 2 actual critics on there panning it is not a good sign at all. After all the meltdowns internally at Nintendo over the 1993 movie, I can't wait to see what happens when this one gets poor reviews too, from reviewers not drinking the Nintendo Kool-Aid anyway.

Tbh that was more over the box office. Even if this gets awful reviews but ends up with like 450 domestic and like 800-900 worldwide, I can't see Nintendo being that upset. 

I mean big box office is mass appeal. Some of the posts in here 😹. If a movie makes tons of money, it has mass appeal period (aka “appeal to more than just hardcore fans and children under 10”). And they ARE making a movie with mass appeal. This is THAT movie.

This is not Dungeons & Dragons, for example. Doesn’t matter how much critics shill the movie. It’s still going to tank. That movie is more similar to Detective Pikachu/Sonic movies. An adaption of an IP. Something cute for the fans.

The Mario Movie from the get-go is far wider reaching. As long as it’s not absolutely awful (and it doesn’t look like it is), it should do very well.

Edited by OceanBlvd
  • Like 1

Still have no idea why people were/are hyped for this. I’m not even saying it’s going to be good or bad as a kids movie. It’ll probably make a lot of money and function as intended. But we get Mario games constantly, they’ve been one of the most consistent pop culture staples of the last 50 years. So I don’t understand what the nostalgia draw of a film added to that already massive pile has. I guess if you’ve stopped playing games years ago? And yet I don’t feel that’s who it’s aimed at…

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1