WrathOfHan

The Super Mario Bros. Movie | Universal/Illumination | April 5, 2023 | Chris Pratt is Mario, Charlie Day is Luigi, Anya Taylor-Joy is Peach | The most profitable movie of 2023

7 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

This is sure as hell not reaching anywhere near a billion anymore. And a Rotten rating is basically a kiss of death in this day and age of a massive gluttony of entertainment options. Just look at Shazam 2.

The role of resident over reactor is already filled by our darling @CJohn thank you. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Just now, PrinceRico said:

The avg score is horrendous 

It’s pretty baffling honestly. Either this movie is far FAR more abysmal than literally all of the marketing has made it look, or there’s a legitimate stigma against video games being waged here. A Mario movie SHOULD be like the games, otherwise we get that live action 80s disaster. 

• Like 1

I think people are correct that this won't impact the box office too much, especially opening weekend.

But I also think that the reviews shouldn't be nitpicked or implied that they're meaningless. I see that excuse every time when a new movie from a popular franchise with a big fanbase gets slapped with a rotten, whether it's WarCraft, BvS, Ant-Man 3 (yes, people were quick to defend this on OW too), etc.

It's very possible that maybe the movie just... isn't very good for some people? I don't really like downplaying the opinions of film critics because they didn't say what you wanted them to.

• Like 4

Just now, datpepper said:

I think people are correct that this won't impact the box office too much, especially opening weekend.

But I also think that the reviews shouldn't be nitpicked or implied that they're meaningless. I see that excuse every time when a new movie from a popular franchise with a big fanbase gets slapped with a rotten, whether it's WarCraft, BvS, Ant-Man 3 (yes, people were quick to defend this on OW too), etc.

It's very possible that maybe the movie just... isn't very good for some people? I don't really like downplaying the opinions of film critics because they didn't say what you wanted them to.

I think the problem is a lot of negativity seems to center around it being “just like the games.” That’s a GOOD thing for the people who want this movie in the first place. If you look at angry birds or sonic, they changed things from the games significantly, which is probably why they got decent reviews. Again, there seems to be a real bias with critics about a video game movie trying to feel like a video game movie. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

super-mario-bros-movie-mario.gif

It's honestly crazy to me that after all the trauma and reluctance it caused at Nintendo, the live action Bob Hoskins version might end up being the definitive Mario movie after all. On the bright side, at least my childhood hero Kirby will never be tainted. And I'm sure Paramount and Sega are laughing their asses off while readying themselves for a killing next Christmas.

7d7.gif

It’s-a-gonna win many box-office gold coins, no doubt. But the Bob Hoskins version is far more imaginative.

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/reviews/the-super-mario-bros-movie/

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It’s pretty baffling honestly. Either this movie is far FAR more abysmal than literally all of the marketing has made it look, or there’s a legitimate stigma against video games being waged here. A Mario movie SHOULD be like the games, otherwise we get that live action 80s disaster. 

We had acclaimed adaptations of Arcane, Last Of Us and even D&D just las week 

Damn even Sonic movies was well received, there´s no bad critics having stigma against games here

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

I think the problem is a lot of negativity seems to center around it being “just like the games.” That’s a GOOD thing for the people who want this movie in the first place. If you look at angry birds or sonic, they changed things from the games significantly, which is probably why they got decent reviews. Again, there seems to be a real bias with critics about a video game movie trying to feel like a video game movie. 

Or maybe they just expected a good movie

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, datpepper said:

Most people are not downplaying the critics in the sense that their opinions is meaningless about how good the movie is, but it is just pointing out that the reception is indeed meaningless at the box office considering this is Illumination. If this has a lower than A Cinemascore then people can get worried about it's BO prospects.

• Like 1

I’m expecting a fun time, nothing more nothing less. C-tier Dreamworks was the goal and that’s just about what the reviews were indicating. I got tickets Friday to see with the family and am positive I’ll likely like it and yeah the fans and families will dig it, but I also want more than just Mario action. I want to fall in love with this Mario’s world and characters not just be reminded Mario is cool and I had fun with it as a kid.

I was hopeful maybe Illumination would’ve kicked it up a notch. Shrek didn’t have to be a movie with a strong romance and great characters, The Lego Movie could just focus on Lego action, and SpiderVerse could’ve just been another Spider-Man movie. The Peanuts Movie may not have had much depth or themes but did good work at making you root for Charlie Brown. Wanting more doesn’t mean sacrificing authenticity. Hell, even the Teen Titans Go! Movie or Angry Birds 2 which isn’t groundbreaking by any means still managed to work with a damn funny script. 

Edited by YM!
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Referencing the original and being a pandering fest that doesn't stand on its own is not the same thing. The fact that it makes fans awe at their thing being portrayed on the screen should be added value, not the film's whole list of pros. I haven't seen the film (and won't until it is on streaming ftr), so I don't currently have an opinion on that, but the reviews clearly seem to be implying the film is the latter and not the former.

That said, kids will like it and nostalgia is one hell of a drug to make adults accept it. It will do fine with audiences most likely.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, TheGullsHaveBeaks said:

People in here are acting like critics hate kids films even though a majority of illumination films have fresh RT scores lol. Like come on..if a lot of critics think the film has no substance what happens if the general audience thinks that?

Nah they like Illumination films - they hate game-based films.  2nd best film ever made, Clue, had about a 49% score back in the day, with Ebert eviscerating it...b/c the makers messed up the way to give the alt endings theatrically which any real Clue game has...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Flamengo81 said:

Most people are not downplaying the critics in the sense that their opinions is meaningless about how good the movie is, but it is just pointing out that the reception is indeed meaningless at the box office considering this is Illumination. If this has a lower than A Cinemascore then people can get worried about it's BO prospects.

Oh, I'm not disagreeing with that, and most people are doing as you're saying. I'm mostly talking about some discourse I'm seeing involving poking holes in critics' reviews to make it seem like they don't know what they're talking about as a means to discredit them. It's just something I see a lot when negative reviews come out for hotly-anticipated movies. It's reminding me of the reaction to reviews for multiple 2016 films.

• Like 1

Oooff. The reactions didnt seem great but I expected more "fun but no real story so it's just okay.

Video game adaptations are still kinda uncharted territory, especially animated ones, so idk if it might be critic proof because families want to take their kids to see something but the presales alone indicate it'll at least do well this week.

Edited by SpiderByte