DeeCee

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE (and The Star and Wonder) WEEKEND THREAD | PREMIUM ACCOUNT SALE NOW LIVE | Weekend Actuals ~ JL 93.84M, W 27.54M, T:R 21.66M, DH2 14.43M, MOTOE 13.80M, TS 9.81M

Just now, somebody85 said:

I agree that marketing could definitely play an effect but as far as families showing up to the theaters...it seems like a safe bet if the reviews stay high (especially in the 90s) considering it's Pixar. And I could just see that second choice being Wonder if they don't choose that....which doesn't leave a huge audience left over for JL unless repeat viewings are through the roof. I think the demand from the comic book audience will be met this weekend for the most part.

I see JL doing alright but if Coco somehow breaks out too along with Wonder, I could see those holding for awhile. My main issue with Coco is the subject material. Is it appealing enough to the GA? And it was already kind of done a few years ago.

Not nearly enough people saw Book of Life to have an effect.

Someone earlier in the thread said they could see a public divorce between WB and Affleck this week to overshadow the box office takes, and that makes a ton of sense

Affleck is definitely DONE with Batman. No way in hell is going to do more after how badly BvS and JL were received by critics.

Fuck!!! No way to spin this disaster OW for one of the biggest movie of the year.

I wonder what went wrong to make the movie sink so low. Couple of things to point out:

1/ Studio meddling with the production, specifically Kevin Tsujihara, give out a stupid mandate 2 hours runtime which crippled the creative process from the directors, they had to cut out so many scenes to meet the 2 hours mandate. It makes the transition between scene to scene go so fast.

2/ The stupid stunt RT pulls hurt it as well. The audience from outside looking in certainly think something fishy going on.

3/ They have been burned so bad with BvS and SS, and JL still got the same treatment as previous 2 from the studio. They will not be fooled anymore.

From outside looking in, this is a big mess. Why do the audience give this a chance? They don’t. The boxoffice certainly reflects that. JL will be a biggest disappointment this year for WB, and I hope heads will role at the WB office in the next few months.

The DCEU as a whole only had one movie got well received from both critics and audience. It is Wonder Woman, because Patty Jenkins got to do what she wanted, carry out her vision without the studio interference. WB’s enemy is their own, they don’t have confidence in their directors. How can they do their job if they always have someone to tell them to do/not to do this/that. They need to stay away, let the directors do their job and make the best movie they can.

I think Kevin Tsujihara needs to go, he’s the one responsible for this fucking mess.

Next year, they have Shazam is getting ready to shoot, they better let David do his job. Aquaman is in good hand with James Wan. They have one year without any DC movie coming out to pull their shit together.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

https://screenrant.com/justice-league-international-box-office-opening/

Thats what I was going by but I don't know about India.

Forgive me, but there is nothing detailed there. It could making lower numbers than BVS in certain territories but it is also doing well in some. This is going to make big numbers here in the Philippines and I think in Indonesia as well. China numbers are good, too. You could argue and say, what? The Philippines? Indonesia? Well, my country is usually in the top 15-20 markets for cbms, Marvel or DC.

2 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Forgive me, but there is nothing detailed there. It could making lower numbers than BVS in certain territories but it is also doing well in some. This is going to make big numbers here in the Philippines and I think in Indonesia as well. China numbers are good, too. You could argue and say, what? The Philippines? Indonesia? Well, my country is usually in the top 15-20 markets for cbms, Marvel or DC.

It says the biggest opening in Brazil? At least that's what's being reported? 

22 minutes ago, TheRedRabbit said:

And I'm hearing some reports of a $200mn P&A.  I don't see how that could be possible but that's what I'm hearing.

10 year's ago a big WB release accounting allegedly leaked and can give an idea of the releasing cost breakdown:

harry-potter-net-profits.jpg

World release cost:

Prints: 29.2m

dubbing, subtitles for other markets: 5.6m

Markerting: 131.12m

Taxes and duties fees: 8m

Trades: 4.45m

Freight: 3.5m

Others: 1.662m

Total: 180m (214m in 2017 dollars)

Amazing spider man 2 release cost breakdown:

Theatrical only

Domestic advertising:

basic: 25.58m

Pre-open media: 42.255m

Support media: 3.065

Prints: 8.46m

others: 5.35m

Intl advertising: 75.4m

intl prints: 21m

others: 10.78m

Total: 191.89m (199,94m in 2017 dollar, same has Justice League rumored cost, I imagine those 200m figure are reported because they are the standard giant flagship movie average figures)

Those do not include home video release costs.

• Like 1

Just now, MisterT said:

Fuck!!! No way to spin this disaster OW for one of the biggest movie of the year.

I wonder what went wrong to make the movie sink so low. Couple of things to point out:

1/ Studio meddling with the production, specifically Kevin Tsujihara, give out a stupid mandate 2 hours runtime which crippled the creative process from the directors, they had to cut out so many scenes to meet the 2 hours mandate. It makes the transition between scene to scene go so fast.

2/ The stupid stunt RT pulls hurt it as well. The audience from outside looking in certainly think something fishy going on.

3/ They have been burned so bad with BvS and SS, and JL still got the same treatment as previous 2 from the studio. They will not be fooled anymore.

From outside looking in, this is a big mess. Why do the audience give this a chance? They don’t. The boxoffice certainly reflects that. JL will be a biggest disappointment this year for WB, and I hope heads will role at the WB office in the next few months.

All these people blaming the studio for meddling with Snyder and not even mentioning him as a part of the problem, lol

It really is a cult!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

I think you're right and in this day and age with families wanting kids to explore other cultures....it could be a big thing. I'm excited for it. 

Plus it's now the biggest movie of all time in the country it depicts