DeeCee

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE (and The Star and Wonder) WEEKEND THREAD | PREMIUM ACCOUNT SALE NOW LIVE | Weekend Actuals ~ JL 93.84M, W 27.54M, T:R 21.66M, DH2 14.43M, MOTOE 13.80M, TS 9.81M

Luckily for WB, WW2 is gonna be huge regardless of the reception of the rest of DCEU. But it goes to show that WW's fantastic reception really didn't add anything to JL. People need a string of quality movies (like Marvel) to buy in completely to these cinematic universes.

Edited by Jayhawk
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

Oh, allright, it's all about not ruining your fun when Puerto Rico is in ruins and could care less about a stupid funny book movie to save WB's ass.

Consider your virtue to have been signaled.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 1

I'm not going to lie, while Wonder did fantastic business yesterday, I'm worried it might only do 24-25M for the weekend (still 100M domestic) due to the sheer number of school groups that saw it yesterday (Mendelson mentioned it in his write up as well).

@EmpireCity @Shawn what are the odds of this? Any change Saturday can still see a good increase from Friday?

• Like 1

saw justice league. 

hated:

-pacing

-aquaman

-cyborg

-steppenwolf

-the upper half of Henry Cavill’s face (and the VFX in general, which are unfinished) 

liked:

-mostly everything else

it’s decent. better than bvs. nowhere near wonder woman or even man of steel.

btw, the theater next to us (Wonder) was PACKED. and it was a 7:30 showing so I don’t think it was a school group. could easily do 30m+/120m+ total.

• Like 2

• Founder / Operator
24 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Do you know how many theaters Man Who Invented Christmas will be in next weekend? I keep hearing differing statements about it going limited or wide over Thanksgiving.

Nope on that one as well. I've seen several ads for it, so guessing it will probably be on the low end of a wide release count.

• Thanks 2

Now we know the superhero cinematic universe concept isn't invincible.

If every movie isn't a crowd pleaser you put the future of the entire universe in danger.

BvS pissed alot of people off and now WB will have to do alot of work to win them back.

Marvel had the same problem to a much lesser degree with divisive movies like AOU, IM3 and Thor 2 but have since increased quality control considerably.

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator
11 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I'm not going to lie, while Wonder did fantastic business yesterday, I'm worried it might only do 24-25M for the weekend (still 100M domestic) due to the sheer number of school groups that saw it yesterday (Mendelson mentioned it in his write up as well).

@EmpireCity @Shawn what are the odds of this? Any change Saturday can still see a good increase from Friday?

Definitely possible. The studio is projecting $27m, but I agree group sales could be skewing projections a bit. It's a great number either way though!

• Thanks 1

TD YD Title (Click to View) Studio Daily Gross % +/- YD / LW Theaters / Avg Gross To-Date Day
1 - Justice League WB $38,800,000 - - 4,051 $9,578 $38,800,000 1
2 - Wonder LGF $9,650,000 - - 3,096 $3,117 $9,650,000 1
3 1 Thor: Ragnarok BV $5,801,000 +140% -68% 4,080 $1,422 $231,397,170 15
4 2 Murder on the Orient Express (2017) Fox $4,075,000 +128% -62% 3,354 $1,215 $42,003,362 8
5 3 Daddy's Home 2 Par. $3,930,000 +238% -64% 3,575 $1,099 $39,706,447 8
6 - The Star Sony $2,800,000 - - 2,837 $987 $2,800,000 1
7 4 A Bad Moms Christmas STX $2,300,000 +130% -44% 2,948 $780 $46,322,155 17
8 8 Lady Bird A24 $725,000 +620% +86% 238 $3,046 $2,897,475 15
9 - Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri FoxS $333,313 +1,222% +224% 53 $6,289 $767,538 8
10 6 Jigsaw LGF $325,000 +114% -72% 1,201 $271 $35,705,233 22
- 11 Let there be Light ADC $118,156 +48% -68% 554 $213 $6,494,146 22
- - Tyler Perry's Boo 2! A Madea Halloween LGF $117,000 +125% -82% 718 $163 $46,295,340 29
- - Happy Death Day Uni. $63,000 +64% -86% 427 $148 $55,236,190 36
- - Kingsman: The Golden Circle Fox $47,000 +107% -63% 271 $173 $99,601,816 57
- - Marshall ORF $36,375 +5% -72% 275 $132 $8,659,225 36
- - Last Flag Flying LGF $35,550 +298% -61% 59 $603 $325,201 15
- - The Mountain Between Us Fox $31,000 +71% -66% 237 $131 $29,587,142 43
- - My Little Pony: The Movie LGF $23,000 +45% -84% 299 $77 $21,626,962 43
- - No Greater Love ADC $440 -59% -95% 8 $55 $27,801 8

Can't beat around the bush with this one. JL's opening was bad. Like, atrocious. While we can make plenty of reasons why it underperformed, (Poor reviews, the See It/Skip It stunt, lack of character familiarity), it's clear WB's attempt to recreate the MCU has been a bit of a hurdle. The upside though is that Aquaman, Wonder Woman 2, and possibly even Shazam will likely fare much better critic-wise and audience-wise, and Justice League likely won't have terrible legs. Its reception seems to be better than BvS, and it has the Thanksgiving frame to keep it safe. If its legs are less than 2.5 (effectively a <$240M gross) I would be surprised.

Thankfully, Wonder is the true savior of the weekend. Props to Lionsgate for recognizing they had a mini-Blind Side on their hands, and it's refreshing to see a breakout live-action family film. I think the last live-action PG family feature hit that wasn't from was...Paddington? Regardless, it's certainly wonderful to see the film be such a success in a year dominated by mostly SH and horror flicks. As long as the film can co-exist with Coco next weekend, which is likely, I'll be very happy.

Thor: Ragnarok's drop isn't very good, but understandable considering Justice League was playing next door. It's still set for $300M, which is great for both the Thor franchise and the MCU and Marvel Studios, considering they managed to release three $300M grossers in just one calendar year.

Orient Express and Daddy's Home did okay enough, considering the mixed-ish WOM on both. Hopefully one of the two, or both, can cross $100M.

The Star...didn't do terrible. After how much we ragged on it, this is a pretty solid gross, especially for something low-budget and geared towards a more niche audience than most other animated flicks. It'll probably leg it out during the Christmas season, and be a decent success for both Sony, Sony Animation, and Cinesite. HAIL OPRAH!

Bad Moms has been holding super well, and while Bad Moms 3 and Bad Dads might be off the table, I think the brand itself will still survive through other means.

Lady Bird did great as usual. Love it when A24 goes Slay-24 in the specialty market, and this will likely be A24's biggest grosser, unless Franco and Rogen have anything to say about it, which is even more impressive. HAIL SAORISE!

Three Billboards also did pretty decently, while Roman Israel was sadly a flop. Maybe Denzel can get Oscar #3 next year.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Luckily for WB, WW2 is gonna be huge regardless of the reception of the rest of DCEU. But it goes to show that WW's fantastic reception really didn't add anything to JL. People need a string of quality movies (like Marvel) to buy in completely to these cinematic universes.

The female demographic did not show up much for this OW. Hopefully they'll do so which might translate to alright legs.  I kinda doubt it. 

Edited by Mr Impossible

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Now we know the superhero cinematic universe concept isn't invincible.

If every movie isn't a crowd pleaser you put the future of the entire universe in danger.

BvS pissed alot of people off and now WB will have to do alot of work to win them back.

Marvel had the same problem to a much lesser degree with divisive movies like AOU, IM3 and Thor 2 but have since increased quality control considerably.

No franchise is invincible. But as long as Marvel Studios keeps realsing quality films, the superhero genre will thrive. What I want to happen now with the DC Films universe isn't a reboot, but keeping the path to the soft reboot. There are good things about this shared universe, regardless how much flawed this film is. Gadot, Cavill, Momoa, Miller and Fisher deserve to shine in these characters. I hope they keep doing it and I hope Flashpoint will get us there. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mr Impossible said:

The female demographic did not show up much for this OW. Hopefully they'll do so which might translate to alright legs.  I kinda doubt it. 

Don't think legs will be terrible, it has Thanksgiving week to ensure that and WOM seems fine. But I think a large portion of the GA is over it after BvS.

WONDER is the hero of the weekend. It's hard to say how much of a boost it'll get today on account of potential frontloading, but with an A+ Cinemascore, good things are ahead. I imagine most theatres are kicking themselves for only having it in one screen. While Coco may be a struggle, I think it'll have really good legs either way and could even snag a few Globe nods. I'm ecstatic for Chbosky and co. (Not to mention my man Daveed!!)

But yikes, pretty much everything (Even the indie flicks) took a hit this weekend, except for Bad Moms Christmas. Maybe STX was smarter than we gave them credit for, releasing the film this early. It could potentially leg its way to $100m if all goes well.

• Like 4

Just now, Mr Impossible said:

I don't get the hate for Affleck at all. I still think he's the best Batman since Keaton. 

He can't blend into the role.

I look at him and can't help to see Ben Affleck the actor/celebrity.

But I would put his Bruce Wayne/Batman in the top 3 easily, maybe the top 2.