DeeCee

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE (and The Star and Wonder) WEEKEND THREAD | PREMIUM ACCOUNT SALE NOW LIVE | Weekend Actuals ~ JL 93.84M, W 27.54M, T:R 21.66M, DH2 14.43M, MOTOE 13.80M, TS 9.81M

Just now, TalismanRing said:

No it's not.  The drops look bad for everything but Friday was a federal holiday last w/e.  Sat jumps will be much higher than last w/e.

Just let them go through their deflection/projection stage.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Its not really gloating

Its just a year and a half of endless flamewars, and the detractors of the DCU have been proven 100% right.

I am not really happy, a bit sad that something that should be a cultural zeitgeist film is a shadow of what could have been.  

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Ugh, really bad number for THOR: RAGNAROK. Hoping for an abnormally big Saturday jump and a strong Sunday hold, due to JUSTICE LEAGUE underperforming. 

JL disaster notwithstanding, it is a very bad drop for Thor. Even accounting for the holiday last week, it dropped close to 70% from last Friday. 

However, I think JL would love to switch positions with Thor:R at the moment. Thor:R is an unmitigated success, JL isn’t to this point. 

7 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Its not really gloating

Its just a year and a half of endless flamewars, and the detractors of the DCU have been proven 100% right.

I am not really happy, a bit sad that something that should be a cultural zeitgeist film is a shadow of what could have been.  

You’re a bit sad about this? 

I find that hard to believe lol. 

Really disappointing numbers, in my opinion JL is much better than BvS and SS. I was expecting something like 125-130M OW. I hope this huge underperformance makes WB realize that we need a more planed DC Universe and more movies like Wonder Woman. Really want this universe to succeed and pretty exited for 'Aquaman' which I think can do +300M DOM. Huge fan of Marvel and DC!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AN9815 said:

Really disappointing numbers, in my opinion JL is much better than BvS and SS. I was expecting something like 125-130M OW. I hope this huge underperformance makes WB realize that we need a more planed DC Universe and more movies like Wonder Woman. Really want this universe to succeed and pretty exited for 'Aquaman' which I think can do +300M DOM. Huge fan of Marvel and DC!!

And it is. Hopefully, word of mouth about being better than those films will help the film have better legs. The film is HEAVILY flawed, but unlike those others, it does has a beating heart and feels like a film that was made by people that don't hate superheroes or the genre. It deserves to make more than BvS. And while that happening is almost impossible, hopefully the good will around the film will be enough to make whatever as much as it can at the box office and keep the shared DC universe going beyond Aquaman and Wonder Woman. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sam said:

You’re a bit sad about this? 

I find that hard to believe lol. 

Any real fan of comic book movies wants to see great and successful films regardless of who is behind them.

I am happy that the Synder and SS squad phase of DCU is over. 

Scott Mendleson says JL could open to just 80m: https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/11/18/justice-league-is-a-box-office-disappointment-with-39m-friday/#5fce287b4a84

For most movies, a $38.8 million opening day, including $4.5m in IMAX alone, would be terrific (back in 2002, Spider-Man set a new record with a $39m opening day). But that’s just above the $38m Friday of Wonder Woman and way below the $46m opening day of Thor: Ragnarok, the $65m opening day of Suicide Squad, the $56m opening day of Man of Steel and the $81m Friday for Batman v Superman. Yes, the hope is that the film will be less frontloaded than Dawn of Justice, but we could very well be looking at a Justice League movie that opens with just $80m for the weekend.

Even legs like Wonder Woman (which had a better weekend multiplier than any prior DC Films or MCU movie) gets this movie to “just” $105 million, or about what Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part II earned ($92m in 2011/$103m adjusted) on its first day. But if it otherwise plays like a DC Films offering, then it’s a $75-$85m debut weekend. For some rather grim perspective, we may see a situation where Justice League makes less on opening weekend than Batman v Superman and the first two Avengers films made in their respective opening days.

And even if it gets to $90 million (or over/under the $92m opening day of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part II) and thus avoids that embarrassment, the fact that it has yet to show any real legs this weekend doesn’t paint a healthy long-term picture. To wit, Wonder Woman made 29% of its $38m Friday via Thursday previews, Suicide Squad earned 30% of its $65m Friday on Thursday, while Batman v Superman earned 34% of its $81m Friday via previews. Justice League, despite a mere $13m Thursday, made 33% of its Friday money on Thursday, which is at least better than Man of Steel ($21m on Thursday for a $56m Friday).

• Like 3
  • Astonished 2