WrathOfHan

Monday Numbers: Justice League 7.5M | Wonder 4M | Thor 2.5M

I think the issue isn't how much Justice League is going to make. None of us or the trades will ever truly know whether Justice League becomes a huge loss for Warner Bros or whether it just hit the green. 

Whats clear though is that warner Bros has managed to turn away a large portion of their audience based on the quality of the films they've been putting out in the DC universe. A lot of us posters have been saying this from the get go. And the response was always WELL LOOK HOW MUCH MONEY EACH OF THESE FILMS IS MAKING!  Sure Man of Steel made money. Sure BvS made money. Sure Suicide Squad made money. But at what cost? Well now you're seeing the cost of it all. The cost is that now Warner Bros has to work that much harder in order to get back into the general public's good graces....and that's if they're even able to do that. The Justice League numbers are the consequences of making poor film after poor film. I typically watch every comic book movie that comes out. I didn't watch Justice League in theaters and I have no plans to either. And it's all because Warner Bros has left a bad taste in my mouth from BvS and Suicide Squad (WW was much better than them) And until I see some progress in the movie universe itself, there's no reason why I should go watch and waste money on mediocre movies that continue to have the same or similar issues. and I'm sure others feel the same way. 

The numbers for JL are weak. There's no other way to describe them. Especially when you compare it to other films from the DCEU. Its a really big decline. So even if the movie does somehow someway break even, it's still not exactly a good thing because going forward what does it mean for the rest of the DCEU? If bringing together all the big boys and Wonder Woman together is bringing in these kinds of results.....

Warner Bros needs to really think about how they're going to plan out the rest of their movies. Because this could be a turning point for them. They could turn it all around and be in the good graces with the GA, or they could keep going down this dumpster fire route and well the numbers you're seeing now will be the numbers they get....possibly even worse. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

I really have a hard time seeing this film topping out at 400mil since it already has 185mil.

The film should be over 300 foreign after This Weekend.

If Things are goong right then it should be 300mil heading into the weekend.

Even if it's over $300m OS this weekend, it's opened in EVERY single territory. It will finish with $450m OS.

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

Haha I know!

I’m trying not to get involved in the constant OTT reactions which I’m guessing will be daily. And may continue if Star Wars fails to open higher than Force Awakens ;)

It definitely will and that is not a bad thing.

Just now, YourMother said:

DCEU and DC should be fine, Aquaman, Shazam, and WW2 should all do over $300M domestic and TTG should do $100M+ but JL should be a lesson to WB about the future.

WW2 is the only one I see doing over $300M to be honest. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Their $40-42m number was based on JL doing 6-7m on Monday

i wouldn't bank on deadline making any connection between the two even though they have mentioned both those numbers in the same paragraph.

I also see every CBM in the theater. I mean even R.I.P.D with Ryan Reynolds, the Hellboys etc....I just love the genre.

I will be seeing JL this Friday and I had low expectations last week. My bar is in a constant state of lowering every day till I see the film.

What bums me additionally is I fear this will indeed negatively impact Aquaman. From what I hear he's shown to be given just enough material to make one curious. However, a year from now folks attitudes about him may solidify from this overall sour JL experience and just decide to not show up. If it is a good movie that's a double whammy. Aquaman is one of my top 10 favorite DC characters and the chance for him to largely break free from decades of that 80's Superfriends mold is long overdue. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Even if it's over $300m OS this weekend, it's opened in EVERY single territory. It will finish with $450m OS.

Opening in markets isn’t a way to determines what the film makes.

I said 300mil but in reality it should be well above that (if things are going ok-good in the markets)

if all is going ok-good then JL should be pushing 400mil coming out of weekend #3.

Reception is better than BVS so hopefully it has a reasonable Overseas Multiplier.

BVS 256/544=2.12x

The Same Multiplier gives JL 400mil foreign.

• Like 1

Absolute best case scenario for JL looks to be 250 domestic.  I think it lands in the more 235 range.  Pitiful.  WB just botched this from the beginning.  I know they're putting out films that are making 200+ but outside of WW everything has had more potential than it reached.  

Wonder is the breakout of the season.  100 is locked with that Monday drop, and I'd say 150 is very much on the table.  Huge.  

I'm interested to see how Coco does.  I feel like in the way urban communities get underestimated the same may be happening with how the Latin American community will respond to this.  50 for the 3 day seems very possible.  

Side note: Saw Lady Bird last night.  During the most pivotal scene of the film the power went out and when the projector was restarted it skipped 4-6 minutes forward.  Have no idea what happened in the climax.  Going to try to sneak into a viewing later this week during that part.  Liked it a lot but damn Saorise is a legend.  What a body of work to have in your early 20's.