WrathOfHan

Monday Numbers: Justice League 7.5M | Wonder 4M | Thor 2.5M

Why are some of you insist on the victimized mentality and self-pity over movies is beyond me. 

It’s a BO forum. We pile on good performances with awe, and we pile on bad performances with laughter. It’s that simple. 

• Like 19

4 minutes ago, YourMother said:

DCEU and DC should be fine, Aquaman, Shazam, and WW2 should all do over $300M domestic and TTG should do $100M+ but JL should be a lesson to WB about the future.

After the way JL has just performed there are no certainties. 

Wonder Woman 2 will do over $300m, same creative team, but Aquaman and Shazam, heck Cyborg and GLCorps are all dice waiting to be rolled. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

May-June next year will be a bloodbath. Expect disappointments as well.

That or we could see the best 8 box office weeks in ages. If all those films deliver critically, it could go either way.

7 minutes ago, YourMother said:

DCEU and DC should be fine, Aquaman, Shazam, and WW2 should all do over $300M domestic and TTG should do $100M+ but JL should be a lesson to WB about the future.

Before I saw JL, I might have agreed with you on Aquaman, just b/c of its great holiday timing and premier concept character movie...but if its world is anything like the one shown in JL, it will be a dumpster fire waiting to happen...

Worse, the character expected to be a huge draw for women seems to be the one new character least liked by them (by actual viewers)...so, between the world looking like crap and the character not being as pleasing...

It's one of those movies that if JL is the example of the Aquaman movie...they should torch what they have and scrap it/start over...

I HATE writing this b/c I was on the "Aquaman is gonna break huge" bandwagon...but now it's gotta re-earn trust and goodwill...and that won't be cheap if this is in the can looking like the JL world and sounding like the JL guy...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

Before I saw JL, I might have agreed with you on Aquaman, just b/c of its great holiday timing...but if its world is anything like the one shown in JL, it will be a dumpster fire waiting to happen...

Worse, the character expected to be a huge draw for women seems to be the one new character least liked by them (by actual viewers)...so, between the world looking like crap and the character not being as pleasing...

It's one of those movies that if JL is the example of the Aquaman movie...they should torch what they have and scrap it/start over...

I HATE writing this b/c I was on the "Aquaman is gonna break huge" bandwagon...but now it's gotta re-earn trust and goodwill...and that won't be cheap if this is in the can looking like the JL world and sounding like the JL guy...

I'll stay on the Aquaman bandwagon as long as Wan is behind the camera.

1 minute ago, Sam said:

Why are some of you insist on the victimized mentality and self-pity over movies is beyond me. 

It’s a BO forum. We pile on good performances with awe, and we pile on bad performances with laughter. It’s that simple. 

True. We've even been known to sympathize with good films that had bad financial box office. Some would say Blade Runner 2049 is a recent example.

We sometimes laugh at bad films with great(relative to budget) box office, wondering who keeps showing up.

3 minutes ago, Sam said:

lmao right, literally if we can't even make fun of a disastrous OW, then what is even the point of this place???

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Before I saw JL, I might have agreed with you on Aquaman, just b/c of its great holiday timing...but if its world is anything like the one shown in JL, it will be a dumpster fire waiting to happen...

After JL I am thinking 200+ dom for AQM would be a big win. Nevermind 250-300+ targets.

edit: regarding effects though, they have enough time to work on that. but don't know how much they will be willing to spend.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

Just now, kayumanggi said:

I guess so. I think HAN SOLO will be the biggest victim.

Yeah, I mean with the Han Solo drama I feel like expectations are already in the toilet so it can't get much worse.

IW has some expectations but I think after AoU/CW, people know now that replicating the first Avenger's success is harder than it looks.

Personally I find the dogpiling wearying. And I don’t really care for the glee expressed when people are gonna lose jobs. But a movie is not an emotional being, it’s a bunch of ones and zeroes on a hard disk. As long as people don’t go after other people personally (whether it’s the filmmakers or fans) and stick to the numbers, it’s fine. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

Personally I find the dogpiling wearying. And I don’t really care for the glee expressed when people are gonna lose jobs. But a movie is not an emotional being, it’s a bunch of ones and zeroes on a hard disk. As long as people don’t go after other people personally (whether it’s the filmmakers or fans) and stick to the numbers, it’s fine. 

Agreed. It’s never a good thing when people lose their jobs.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

That or we could see the best 8 box office weeks in ages. If all those films deliver critically, it could go either way.

True. I am looking forward to seeing what could happen next summer. I also think ANT-MAN AND THE WASP could be affected by the satiated demand.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, a2knet said:

After JL I am thinking 200+ dom for AQM would be a big win. Nevermind 250-300+ targets.

It seems Aquaman's budget is 160 million.

That's definitely better than spending 300 million like Justice League. Snyder isn't part of the movie, and Wan is a good director. I guess this movie will be fine.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, mredman said:

its still immature behavior that should belong on the closed imdb boards not here. Lets see where this ends up on. DCEU already made 3.4 billion on ticket sales alone from 4 movies. With a combined budget of 799 millon combined. this is not even counting JL. DCEU will be fine. They will do phase 2 now start with solos and sequels then move into JL2 eventually kind of like the MCU way. Then likely with a more controled budget of 150-180 million for the solos. more safe for profit

Losing $50M-$100M as the article states would make it one of the biggest flops... I was just going off by what you said. 

4 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

I guess so. I think HAN SOLO will be the biggest victim.

For the summer, I think Infinity War is in the best position to score huge. Seems that Deadpool2 and Incredibles 2 are really close together. They appeal to different demos though. So maybe that will give them both room to thrive. Next year is going to be absolutely fascinating to watch. 

• Like 1

Just now, Rebeccas said:

Yeah, I mean with the Han Solo drama I feel like expectations are already in the toilet so it can't get much worse.

IW has some expectations but I think after AoU/CW, people know now that replicating the first Avenger's success is harder than it looks.

The first Avengers is an outlier. As you noted by the time we get to AoU & CW the novelty isn't as strong. Justice League certainly suffered from that as well among it's other issues.

I expect at least $175m OW for Infinity War, to me that is a successful opening. 

• Like 3